IGNORED

the official Channel F thread!

On 10/2/2019 at 5:09 AM, atari2600land said:

A copy of Football with box is now at $81. I wonder how high it will eventually get. eBay Item #153661451421

Well, I was bidding on it since day 1, but then I had to respond to an emergency (firefighter) and got back after it had closed. Ugh. I feel like i'll never complete the set of my first game system ever. Oh well, one day, I mean..how many of us are there that truly collect for this...8?..lol. 

1 hour ago, atari2600land said:

$202 and counting for a CIB Slot machine. eBay auction #333352181338

Yeah, i jumped in on that was instantly outbid..Not sure what someone has already put their cap on..gonan be outta my league though I'm thinking. Good news, is another football came up after I lost that last one so hopefully I can score this new one. 

So this is another Football? It's at $81:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333352171200

Cheap console (probably):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153673476269

Swap the controllers (or one wire and get another one) and it's as usual, you'll have to take a chance that it works... 
One of these cables could be used for repairs, it's 9 wires as needed:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202666252153

I have spare controllers if needed - which are of course super expensive. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Edited by e5frog

9 hours ago, e5frog said:

So this is another Football? It's at $81:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333352171200

Cheap console (probably):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153673476269

Swap the controllers (or one wire and get another one) and it's as usual, you'll have to take a chance that it works... 
One of these cables could be used for repairs, it's 9 wires as needed:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202666252153

I have spare controllers if needed - which are of course super expensive. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Yep, the Football I was bidding on last week was box and cart, this one has box, cart, manual. My guess is someone saw how much the last one went for and put theirs up for auction. and that's me at $81..lol. Last time it was just myself and one other bidder, so since he already has one now... I'm hoping this auction doesn't go much higher.  Although..well we're talking about it here so, and may have tipped off other Fairchild collectors so...I probably just made a few more jump into the auction and i'll get hosed again...lol. 

On 8/26/2019 at 1:07 AM, Mikebloke said:

It's frustrating I know. If it was going cheap I wouldn't have published it here in the hopes one of us could nab it but I felt it went into the boundaries of expensive so what's the point. I might have been tempted to pay the loose cart prices (about £65, but then shipping from Australia) if I was desperate to finish a collection and not bothered by boxes. 

I have alien invasion with instructions which I think I paid about 50 for, got a loose copy of pro football for less than that, and I have a boxed saba version of galactic space when I got a set to fill gaps. I get doubles occasionally so I'm happy to post here first from now on but it's usually unboxed, semi rare but not the rarest. 

Originally I wanted all boxed but after years and years of not even finding loose, i'm just good with loose now..lol. It's not frustrating for me when I lose to another actual Fairchild collector. It's the times someone sells one cheap, a reseller snaps it up in 2 seconds and immediately flips it for a huge profit that gets me frustrated. But hey, it is what it is..hopefully one day. It was my first home game system as a kid so that's only reason so heavily invested..geez, mom couldn't have waited 1 year and gotten me a atari 2600 like everyone else?..lol. 

Regarding flat ribbon cable and connectors. 
It's not impossible to find both, it's difficult to find 11 position ones perhaps but if you're experienced enough to consider modifying the console then I guess you're not afraid of some slight modding of connectors and/or flat ribbon cable.

Here's from a quick google session, cable (seems hard to find 2.54mm pitch) EDIT: I see now you need to order 1000pcs of this one, but still should be possible to find:
https://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/7066713/2_54_pitch_flat_ribbon_cable_FFC_fpc.html

Connectors (this one actually is 11 positions):

https://il.rsdelivers.com/product/te-connectivity/6-520314-1/te-connectivity-trio-mate-254mm-pitch-11-way/7200847

So, if you look around there's probably a way to solve it and a new cable could make life easier. 
Cable is just pressed in at the cart connector as well, just bent around a few times. 

Edited by e5frog

Sigh, these recent games you guys have mentioned is US only. I can't even find it in search because sellers don't send abroad. Its such a shame, especially given ebay's international system basically pushes all the costs onto the buyer at no risk to the seller. Its like the London effect, but international. Shame, given most of my rare fairchild games have come from the states or europe.

I would have been tempted to go for the boxed american football game, as I could resell my loose copy, but even slot machine is too much for me - good job I can't buy it anyway.

Edit: Can't even message the seller, wow. I mean really? That resistant. I get people probably message with offers all the time... But to block all forms of contact? Oh well. His loss of profits.

Edited by Mikebloke

4 hours ago, Ashevent said:

Yep, the Football I was bidding on last week was box and cart, this one has box, cart, manual. My guess is someone saw how much the last one went for and put theirs up for auction. and that's me at $81..lol. Last time it was just myself and one other bidder, so since he already has one now... I'm hoping this auction doesn't go much higher.  Although..well we're talking about it here so, and may have tipped off other Fairchild collectors so...I probably just made a few more jump into the auction and i'll get hosed again...lol. 

This appears to be a thing, I bought a loose empty NES box to store my console and accessories (I did have a box originally... then at some point in the early 90's my parents probably chucked it). Soon after it sold someone put another one up for the same price as I paid saying "apparently people buy these things!", but actually I probably paid a bit more for the box itself because I got half a dozen games with it dirt cheap. Its been 20 years since I've bought a NES game for a quid!

Success!  After replacing the video ram and cpu I got it working!  Then your suggestion to glue the plastic about the ribbon cables worked.  The secret is to bend up the connector to 45 degrees from the motherboard.  That gives a better angle to insert the ribbon cables. My wife helped hold the top metal shielding while I worked underneath it.   See pic.

AA011B55-E1E0-4243-BAF5-294A3FB4422A.jpeg

Edited by Rob Mitchell

12 hours ago, Ashevent said:

OK, so now there is yet another football up for bid on eBay? 3 in just a few weeks? Not sure what's up, but not complaining since now I can chill on my current bid since there's a backup. There's also a #23 and #26 if anyone's interested. 

Oh, that's not so weird- one game sells for a high amount, and there's a handful of resellers who rush in seeing the high price. Happened during the time I was hunting Video Whizball too- always lil' spurts of activity whenever one sold high.

3 minutes ago, HoshiChiri said:

Oh, that's not so weird- one game sells for a high amount, and there's a handful of resellers who rush in seeing the high price. Happened during the time I was hunting Video Whizball too- always lil' spurts of activity whenever one sold high.

I've seen it for things like CBFD on the N-64, got stupid then everyone realized it was worth money, tons went up and now you can get one boxed for less than you used to get one loose almost.  I just haven't seen it on the Fairchild. As I said, I am not complaining, I think that first one went for over $120 and with there being two more now, hopefully the price won't go that high again. I mean seriously, how many of us out there are going for a complete set compared to other systems?..lol

On 10/2/2019 at 7:21 AM, e5frog said:

Seems they could be Canadian... 
The Barco manual also has French (I think) as well as SABA's multi-lingual and Nordmende.
I guess they wanted to expand the market - and they weren't assigned a certain territory with their license:
instructions.barco.01f.jpginstructions.saba.02.m.jpginstructions.nordmende.01.jpg

I do'nt think they were, indeed. I mean video gaming in Europe had yet to mature so it make sense that when Fairchild/Zircon licenced the system for European brands they didn't cared about who would sell it where.

It seems they didn't even bothered with sellign them molds for the system and such - most European systems have their own design that are often a mix of model 1 and 2; the Nordmende system is a sleek machien that is absolutely unlike the US machine or even the dark monolithic slab of Saba; it has detachable controllers but the controller are the triangular knobs of the model 1... And unlike the Saba, the sound come from the TV, not the system.

The Saba systems I've seen have hardwired controllers, but they are of the model 2 type, and have sound coming from the machine and not the TV.

I can't tell for the other systems as they aren't too common and most pictures on Internet feels like they were taken 15 years ago.

Luxor, Barco and Emerson used the original case.
Barco has very different fonts on their badges so one can assume they made their own:
1DSC00103.JPG

Image of a machine sold last year with 7 boxed cartridges for €73,63 at a Belgium auction. 

Apart from SABA, Nordmende, ITT and Luxor also had their own design on the second version units, Adman used the Channel F II case. 
The SABA VideoPlay has the original controllers and pretty much the same board as the first Luxor version. SABA VideoPlay 2 has the second version of the circuitry on a full size board, much like some US machines that has the old case but the smaller PSU (and may or may not have an internal speaker).
The SABA VideoPlay 2 has almost exactly the same case as their first version (lid latch differs) and it has a small extra PCB to modulate the sound into the RF output channel, there's a spot for the speaker just like on the previous motherboard but none is mounted. Controllers are unfortunately the same as on the ITT Telematch, with a different knob. 

The Nordmende is pretty cool, it has plain version 2 controllers with a silver sticker on top (matching the console but that often doesn't cover the original sticker). Case is pretty much the same as their Nordmende's Video Typer machine https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/nordmende_video_typer_laufschrift_generator_0500.html also found on http://atarionline.pl/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=3851&page=2 (image below) Don't know which one of them came first but I'm guessing the video game came before the "Typer" as the latter doesn't seem to make use of the shape of the holders under the lid. Stolen images:
32223694_NordmendeCOLORTeleplayP.thumb.jpg.3ddeb5e237a2ef974060ce0e357fb057.jpgnord1.thumb.jpg.580b856dcd4f552402f454879e50728d.jpg

If you get super exited about the Video Typer, here's a pdf of service information that you don't need to google yourself:
http://www.rainers-elektronikpage.de/NORDMENDE_Video-Typer_0.500.pdf

Edited by e5frog