IGNORED

the official Channel F thread!

I've been plugging away at my Dodge It disassembly for the past couple of weeks, and I'd say it's about 95% done-done (whereas I was about half-way last time I posted). It's a much cleaner and better documented than it was before. You can add it to the wiki now if you want @e5frog. Granted, I added some stuff to ves.h, so it won't compile with the standard ves.h from 2004 (we should probably sort that out first).

I've made it so that by just changing a few constants near the beginning of the code you can change the max size of the playfield rather easily, like so:

chan0015.png.8c5b111e7b01b68371b4cd50d74a6829.png

Not the most exciting change, per se, but its something. (I'd post the rom, but I'm not sure how kosher that is here.)

The next thing I want to do is either improve the BIOS's disassembly, and/or make an original project. I'll probably make a thread in the homebrew or programming forums when I have something to show there.

Please post the rom up, it's a super dead console, most of the people in this thread have good sized collections and a few of us have (or tried) coded for it too. It's a valid hack, I always wondered why they didn't make the boundaries selectable either. 

Is your modified ves.h available somewhere too? What changes have you made to it? 

Nice, grabbed it. 

Like the code address being included as comment, very useful. 

I deleted a long rant about ves.h...  Why make a secret decoder ring for your code? A lot of the stuff doesn't really make things easier, plain code and comments makes understanding each others code a lot easier IMHO. 

14 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

Please post the rom up

Here it is:

dodge_it_big.bin

When you get one of the larger arenas the game is significantly easier, even on pro mode.

2 hours ago, e5frog said:

I deleted a long rant about ves.h...  Why make a secret decoder ring for your code? A lot of the stuff doesn't really make things easier, plain code and comments makes understanding each others code a lot easier IMHO. 

Sorry about that. I reverted the project back to using the standard ves.h file.

All of my additions (that I actually used) are now in the main dodge_it.asm file: namely, defines for the controller inputs, and the SETISARU and SETISARL macros I made (because I like naming registers and LISU and LISL don't play nice with that).

The project should now compile just fine with only dodge_it.asm and the standard ves.h file.

13 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

Is your modified ves.h available somewhere too? What changes have you made to it?

Since you're curious, all of the additions that I had made to ves.h are now in utils.h on the Github page. It's not the most useful stuff (and the project should compile even if you delete it).

So what's a "complete" collection?

One cart of each commercially available 1-26 + Democart? Including their boxes, instruction booklets and warranty cards + grey pamphlet (who knows what was originally in a package)? Eldest version possible of these? Maybe also the alternate #22 (visibly different) and #17 (not that different, there's an alternate ROM). Box variations? The German variations and the two German only releases (4 different carts)? A complete set of all European releases? All variations of the European releases? All PCB variations in all variations of all carts? All variations of everything before 1990? Pac-Man, Multi-Cart, Kevin vs Tomatoes, Trimerous, Tetris, Democart 2? Werbetextcassette? All carts ever made?   ;-)

There's one known of these, it's not unlikely others where made for other companies as well. 

label.videocart.werb.jpg

Where do you draw the line for a complete set? 

For me it's quite simple, one of each game released, whatever its condition. I'm a gamer not a collector by nature, I do have all the UK releases CIB which is nice but it was more a product of good luck and selling doubles than a planned achievement. I've seen what slot machine goes for CIB, it's a price I don't really want to pay! 

Democart would be nice too, but again not going out of my way to pay a lot of money for it. The fairchild stays plugged into the TV more than most RF consoles, I've developed a love for it more than I do anything else of the period, it'll get plenty of use. 

I imagine one day e5frog you will have one of literally everything, I'll be happy just having one of each game whatever colour the label is ?

8 minutes ago, e5frog said:

I don't know how to play checkers but I'm happy to have that anyway.   ;-)

Given how many of us is still looking for a copy of that, your multicart might be next on my list ?

I didn't think there were more region exclusives than chess commercially available ... I'm sure e5frog can fill us in though... 

Well, there's #1 with German text on Tic-Tac-Toe and also #3 with German abbreviations (SABA also had the plain English version with SABA labels). 

The SABA version of Hangman has German words and no scaffold for the guy, so there's also different graphics even if the game idea is the same. 

screen.bg.sb16.jpg

He sinks into the ground if you fail guessing the word. 

I can't play Chess. It won't let me move a piece.

I read the manual. I tried everything. It won't let me move anything anywhere. All I wanted to do was move a pawn forward to test the game to see if it works, but apparently I'm too dumb to do that. I tried in the multicart. It acts the same way.

I should probably type in the English version. 

instructions.saba.20.m.jpg

... when I get hold of that. 

That google translation isn't too bad. 

Reset, button 4, you start and you're the green set. 

Select pawn or tower, push, then select destination, push and twist to finalize move - IIRC. I can  test it tomorrow. 

• 2 weeks later...