IGNORED

the official Channel F thread!

6 hours ago, e5frog said:

Well... the "computer aided teaching"-instructions is what is the Democart, I think it uses the console hockey code for display etc and final option to play.
... and there's an Easter Egg as well. 
Democart 2 is "just" pictures of games with titles (not all of them the release title) Black Jack doesn't even display properly - due to delay after gfx loading is too short. You get nothing on a fast machine and stripes on a newer version. MESS runs it fine, it has no such limitations. 

If collecting games to play there's no reason to get neither one nor the other. 

Thanks for explaining that. I think what we're boiling down to here:

If you collect unique GAMES, a complete set is #1-#26 (for the USA at least).

If you collect officially released physical cartridges, you have to include Democart-1 with that.

Is that correct to say?

I would say so, but everyone has their own methods of systemising it. 

I track my collections by region of release, because with most consoles there is region locking, or games that didnt reach here in the UK, it wouldn't be games I was expected to find when they were released if they were only found in Germany for example.

Chess for the channel F is a good case of this as it never officially released in English - slightly ironic perhaps as the F8 was specifically developed for such high level processes and was eventually used for many electronic chess games that released afterwards. The console was essentially a big advertisement banner to say "buy our chip!",which people ultimately did, just not for the console market. 

My spreadsheets is divided into:

UK as that's where I live

Europe - PAL games traditionally, many often are still in English. I might also include Australian in this 

United States - also in English, but from 3rd gen onwards has lockout

Other - Japan being the obvious, but Brazil is also notable. 

My personal logic is to base it on my practical ability to play. My collections are based on them being practical and playable. If I ever buy anything sealed, it's going to be opened (scandalous!) thankfully everything produced on the channel F can be played on any clone or regional variation of the console, but I still divide by what region they released in.

Most early consoles also had numbering systems for games, but atari dropped this logic. It also means that for those, any games without a number (democart for instance) which officially released, I don't consider it a true part of a gaming collection as it was never originally intended for retail sale - they sold the democart eventually to make up losses by selling stock they had, even if it was intended for stores to showcase. I may well buy one one day, but it'll only be a bonus for me personally and not an essential buy. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

Might be some nice boxed ones there if they don't go silly price. Not sure if I'd goto the trouble of getting US exclusives boxed. No checkers, the journey continues. 

I think we can guarantee it’s going to go for a silly price.  Bargains seem to be non existent lately.  

On 6/9/2020 at 6:42 PM, Atari_Bill said:

I think we can guarantee it’s going to go for a silly price.  Bargains seem to be non existent lately.  

You are probably right, I think the whizball situation is comical but will probably be disastrous for those of us wanting to collect. Dread to think what a copy of checkers is going to go for in this mess.

5 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

You are probably right, I think the whizball situation is comical but will probably be disastrous for those of us wanting to collect. Dread to think what a copy of checkers is going to go for in this mess.

Yeah, the rarer Channel F Games have just gone nuts the last year or so.  I’m surprised there are that many people in the market for a fairly obscure system.  Maybe it’s just the rarity that drives collectors to buy anything whether they collect for it or not.  

I think when people who normally sell clothes second hand for first hand prices, start buying up games it hits this "collector" price. I've noticed it's really common to see that as their other items because it never really screams 'this person likes to play games'. I do wonder how much this is price fixing too. 

Looks like alien invasion went for a reasonable price despite boxed. The other us exclusives didn't go too high considering. If I had the funds I might have even considered buying myself for CIB copies... Oh well. 

Whizball went for 500... Really man.... I got it myself in the past 12 months for a tenth of that... 

3 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

Looks like alien invasion went for a reasonable price despite boxed. The other us exclusives didn't go too high considering. If I had the funds I might have even considered buying myself for CIB copies... Oh well. 

Whizball went for 500... Really man.... I got it myself in the past 12 months for a tenth of that... 

I show it ended at $652!!  Unreal. If this is going for that, a similar condition Checkers could easy top $1200.  I have a bad feeling we’re going to start seeing these back up for sale after being “graded”. ?

7 hours ago, masschamber said:

Yeah I dropped bids earlier this morning on 3 titles I needed, instantly outbid on two. None of the games this vendor dropped had boxes, so i'm hoping to snag at least one of the 3 I need! I don't know WTF has happened this year but why the FCF has become almost Neo Geo like in pricing its amazing to me. I mean, those of us who had them as kids are gonna start dying off soon!..lol. 

4 hours ago, Ashevent said:

Yeah I dropped bids earlier this morning on 3 titles I needed, instantly outbid on two. None of the games this vendor dropped had boxes, so i'm hoping to snag at least one of the 3 I need! I don't know WTF has happened this year but why the FCF has become almost Neo Geo like in pricing its amazing to me. I mean, those of us who had them as kids are gonna start dying off soon!..lol. 

Watching these auctions purely out of curiosity.  Checkers already at $355 with days left.  I’m so glad I got mine a few years ago before this insanity began. No box but cart and instructions for around 100. 

2 hours ago, Atari_Bill said:

Watching these auctions purely out of curiosity.  Checkers already at $355 with days left.  I’m so glad I got mine a few years ago before this insanity began. No box but cart and instructions for around 100. 

I started about 6 years ago but these never came up when i looked, or got snapped up before I saw them. Plus most of my hunting was in flea markets and thrift stores so...ive only found 2 FCF titles that way..one was in the 8-track section..lol.  Now that the prices have gone stupid, folks seem to be pulling them out of the closet.

Since the COVID outbreak I swear its been rising for almost everything. Check the prices on some PS2 titles. Things I got years ago at flea markets for cheap are now insane. Kuon, Blood will tell etc, have doubled in price it seems this last 4 months. 

2 hours ago, Atari_Bill said:

Yeah checkers is nuts,  I got it in just some local pick up little did I know it is like a 1k game cib

Madness. Guess that's me out of a full collection. It's already at £500 and it doesn't even have a box. 

I don't know how I feel about it, if someone has that kind of money and they need it for their collection... Fair enough. But if they are fighting against a dirty reseller who thinks they can jack up the price... Grrr makes me mad!