IGNORED

the official Channel F thread!

3 hours ago, e5frog said:

:)
Thanks, as I wrote, please send me a message so we don't fill the thread. 

We're never going to get to a thousand pages with that attitude! ;) anyway there is only one console that can claim to be more classic than the channel F, gotta show those neo geo and supervision fans who's boss. 

In all seriousness, I've actually got a number of projects on the way, but they all have one unique problem with them which stops me from posting them up. If I can just work it out in the other ones and transfer it over they'll all work eventually! My 5 year old has also been working on some bitmap graphics for me, which I think probably places him in the top 25 channel F coders in the world of all time (right behind me on number 24!).

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

We're never going to get to a thousand pages with that attitude! ;) anyway there is only one console that can claim to be more classic than the channel F, gotta show those neo geo and supervision fans who's boss. 

:)
Don't want to fill it up with a hobbyist/commercial request, it's meant to be in the sales part of the forum. 

... probably, not sure I know about 25, maybe counting the 70's programmers that are still with us.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like doing another Channel F project in the next 6 months, when I've got some bigger C64 projects done. 

What game(s) would people like to see? I have a few ideas for games I fancy doing that could work:

Utopia (ported line-by-line from Intellivision)

Dr Mario

Berzerk

Tapper

or....something original? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jgkspsx said:

Utopia is a neat idea, but it's hard to find somebody to play Channel F with me :(

Hahahaha!  I'm down, bro... If you're ever in California.

Last time I played pong on the Channel F with a friend, almost a year ago, it still stands as one of the best retro gaming experiences I've ever had.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Hahahaha!  I'm down, bro... If you're ever in California.

Last time I played pong on the Channel F with a friend, almost a year ago, it still stands as one of the best retro gaming experiences I've ever had.

I may well take you up on that! I have family relatively close.

• Like 1

Puzzle games are cool Dr Mario or columns would be great but might struggle with columns with lack of colours ?

Edit: Here is something me and my 5yo worked on two days ago, its "Hide and Seek". Two players move across the screen, hold push down to create a streak on the screen that you can hide in, not holding it wipes out the colours to reveal if its just a hiding spot or if the player is there. There is a buzz if players touch. Its very "Odyssey"ish in that there is no "endgame" only whatever rules the players decide. Like all my projects, it needs touching up, but for us it was a fun little project that has something resembling gameplay.

Could be touched up to be a new doodle program perhaps.

0019.png

hideandseek.bin

Edited by Mikebloke
  • Like 1

Managed to get a Super Famicom controller working on my Channel F today and wanted to show it off. It works surprisingly well with LT/RT as twist, D-pad as Forward/Backward/Left/Right, and ABXY as push/pull. Both my Channel F controllers work for now, but it's nice to know I have a backup. The Arduino Due is overkill for this of course. Something like a Teensy would be better, or even soldering a few chips together.

SNES_CHANNEL_F.thumb.jpg.174682e73c9654da06f766f5fba839a4.jpg

Edited by 3DMAZE
  • Like 4

Max size 62KiB if you want ($0800-$FFFF) - minus extra RAM if you need RAM - so far it's set to 2KiB at the Chess RAM position in MESS, where they don't add anything before it exists for real first... 

Would be nice if you could move things closer together and leave more air on the sides - helps some people if it's played on a vintage TV.

When I started it in MESS it says WRDL [then a filled white box] / [another filled white box] F.

I see now that there's more room on the sides than what is shown on the screen dumps on your page.  ;)

I guessed crap every time, scored 999999, high score?

Soft reset writes the previously mentioned text in green over the board.

Edited by e5frog

3 minutes ago, e5frog said:

Max size 62KiB if you want ($0800-$FFFF) - minus extra RAM if you need RAM - so far it's set to 2KiB at the Chess RAM position in MESS, where they don't add anything before it exists for real first... 

Would be nice if you could move things closer together and leave more air on the sides - helps some people if it's played on a vintage TV.

When I started it in MESS it says WRDL [then a filled white box] / [another filled white box] F.

Ah nice, I was gonna ask if/how I could go above 8K but didn't bother :D

There is a lot more space on the sides in the actual game, just a screenshot to fit itch.io's silly requirements. 

I'll add an actual blank char for the spaces, I was just lazy and pointed to an ID that I hadn't set up

I guessed crap every time, scored 999999, high score?

Soft reset writes the previously mentioned text in green over the board.

Starting again clears screen, first digit of the score is now a filled square.

If I reset a few times the timer has a different value each time, first digit changed to:
___*

__*_

_*_*

*___

_*__

Edited by e5frog