IGNORED

Oh dear God Nintendo Labo!

jerseystyle

Nintendo returning to their toy maker roots from the 1960s. The nice thing is, it looks expensive but you're basically paying for the game card and the supplied cardboard in the packing materials. Future buys are not required as they said you can use your own cardboard down the line. Seems nice if you're into those robotics and building games and competitions.

• Like 1

I almost pooped myself when I saw this. I'm wondering what it is. I'm guessing the cardboard has some copper in it to connect to joycons, and then you download a corresponding app?

No it's just cardboard. You should read more about it, they tell you that very clearly. They also tell you that the price mostly is their usual retail price on a physical game card that comes in the two packages. The little bit over your normal game price is the cost of packaging of the larger box and the included cardboard. They also said as well for people who jumped to conclusion about them being greedy cardboard peddlers they would give out all the free designs you could want for those games and you could just get some cardboard and make your own at no added cost to them.

The things I've seen so far either have you stuff the switch itself in a larger cardboard frame and that frame taps away on it to do stuff, or you have other things that have slots to throw the joycons into it. Like the whole tablet could end up in a piano I think I saw, or you get two spots for parts and can make a walknig robot thing with one joycon for the motion off the gyro I guess and the other with its camera aiming forward as an eye.

Basically you're getting into that robotics, electronics, lego competition and building type stuff in this Labo stuff. It's educational even if you don't realize it, as it's really just a fun thing to try and use their designs or make your own to interact with. It's a true hands on toy and the switch is the brains and eyes and touching feeling heart of that cardboard contraption you design for it.

I'm too lazy and distracted for something like that, but I could see anyone from 5-18 caring about that who get into the more playful to more serious design needs with such projects.

• Like 2

lol not for a 5 year old. I'm a second grade teacher and have two kids myself ages 8 and 10. The cardboard makes is a novelty and disposable. Too gimmicky and will have limited appeal. A creative idea, but these are going to be a niche audience. I want to see more of the games in action. Concerned that they are a tech demo with cardboard trying to sell them as full games. Time will tell.

• Like 1

As a single adult man with no friends who play video games I'd be embarrassed to play it or buy it, whether it was cardboard or plastic, but I think it is a fantastic idea.

I suppose if it were made out of something other than cardboard it would be too expensive, or they'd have to justify the existence of each piece with multiple games. The bigger pieces might kind of be a burden to own eventually, so it works out that it is disposable and reproducible.

If they can get consumers used to the idea of playing video games with cardboard, there is a possibility of many more designs and implementations, for a different type of gaming without breaking the bank.

I also like that it undermines the collectors and the re-sellers and re-asserts the idea that a game is to be played with, not cherished and preserved.

• Like 1

lol not for a 5 year old. I'm a second grade teacher and have two kids myself ages 8 and 10. The cardboard makes is a novelty and disposable. Too gimmicky and will have limited appeal. A creative idea, but these are going to be a niche audience. I want to see more of the games in action. Concerned that they are a tech demo with cardboard trying to sell them as full games. Time will tell.

I think you got it exactly right with your assessment here John. This isn't looking good as far as game or accessory quality goes.

As a single adult man with no friends who play video games I'd be embarrassed to play it or buy it, whether it was cardboard or plastic, but I think it is a fantastic idea.

Ditto. If I was like 8 years old, I'd be all over this. Random factoid, today is my 37th birthday! :party:

I also like that it undermines the collectors and the re-sellers and re-asserts the idea that a game is to be played with, not cherished and preserved.

Nah, this is the type of thing sealed and cib collectors will go nuts over someday. A sealed or cib copy with unused card stock will sell for huge dollars in 20 years, unless collectors start hoarding them now. And there will be tons of these card only or card + case in the used discount bins, and resellers printing cardstock reproductions of the originals.
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

How many GameStop employees do you think will quit from the constant questions of, "I don't know how to build this, can you build this for me?" or "this piece of string broke, can you fix it?" or "this foot pedal was made of cardboard, and my hyper unparented kid instantly crushed it, will you replace it for free?".

How many GameStop employees do you think will quit from the constant questions of, "I don't know how to build this, can you build this for me?" or "this piece of string broke, can you fix it?" or "this foot pedal was made of cardboard, and my hyper unparented kid instantly crushed it, will you replace it for free?".

Probably a lot of "nopes" from the Gamestop employees as well. :lol: (They'll figure out something to keep from having to do it.)

I'd argue that would be a bit sad to do as well since that seems like half the point of Nintendo Labo is to build it yourself...

My understanding is that you only get like 1 set of resources to complete each item. I think you're paying more for the blueprints and software than the actual pieces of cardboard. I mean once you build it once you have at least the general items needed to build it again and again.

...that is if I understood the intention of this.

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

Probably a lot of "nopes" from the Gamestop employees as well. :lol: (They'll figure out something to keep from having to do it.)

I'd argue that would be a bit sad to do as well since that seems like half the point of Nintendo Labo is to build it yourself...

My understanding is that you only get like 1 set of resources to complete each item. I think you're paying more for the blueprints and software than the actual pieces of cardboard. I mean once you build it once you have at least the general items needed to build it again and again.

...that is if I understood the intention of this.

The only thing that sucks (well not the only thing...) is that the kits don't seem to contain any extra parts. That's going to be a problem if a string breaks, or if someone destroys some piece of cardboard.

• 1 month later...

The only thing that sucks (well not the only thing...) is that the kits don't seem to contain any extra parts. That's going to be a problem if a string breaks, or if someone destroys some piece of cardboard.

You can buy extra parts, there is extra rubber bands in box. You could probably make your own replacements.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat960195

Also you can now get the plans as PDF files and use your own cardboard.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/labo/parts/

I got the Variety Pack kit for the kids yesterday and it has kept them entertained for hours. They made the house kit yesterday and they are making the motorbike kit now. It might seem expensive for cardboard but it is school holidays here and this will keep them entertained all week with the kit, then they can start making their own stuff too with the Toy Con Garage.

• Like 1