IGNORED

Wanted: "Conquering Everest" by ASP Software for Atari 8-bit

grant74

Hi All,

Just wondered if anybody had a copy of this game they would be willing to sell? I would be very grateful if so. Please get back to me if you can help out with this.

Much appreciated!

Cheers Everybody and may 2018 bring you many hours of retro gaming fun!

• Like 1

Hi Grant74,

I bought a copy some years back, but unfortunately I'm not looking to sell it. However, I did make a CAS file from it to use in an Atari Emulator if you want a copy?

For reference, the first few lines of the BASIC listing state that it was first published in Computing Today (May 81) and adapted for Atari by G.A. Greenway © ASP Software.

Thanks

AtariGrub

• Like 2

Hi there, yes please Atarigrub, any help would be great thank you. If I can find a way to convert from cas file to xex I could even play it on my side loader in my 800xl. Thanks to all replies so far. I know it's not exactly a well known game nor is it up there with Dropzone etc but I enjoyed it back in the day nonetheless.

Hi Grant74,

I bought a copy some years back, but unfortunately I'm not looking to sell it. However, I did make a CAS file from it to use in an Atari Emulator if you want a copy?

For reference, the first few lines of the BASIC listing state that it was first published in Computing Today (May 81) and adapted for Atari by G.A. Greenway © ASP Software.

Thanks

AtariGrub

That would be awesome thank you, any help is appreciated. Just let me know how we can sort it out and if there is anything I can do for you in return?

Farb, I've not kept the original WAV file as these take too much of my storage space compared to the CAS file. Also, I've sometimes found that if a tape is warped or damaged in someway then neither side of the tape will work. However, by creating CAS files of both sides and using WinHEX its possible to create a fixed version.

I have found that fast forwarding and rewinding a side then flipping the tape and fast forwarding and rewinding that side, followed by leaving the cassette locked in it's case for a week or two does wonders for the tape. When done using a quality tape deck it evens out the tight and loose spots and leaving it sit allows the tape to return to it's natural less stretch position and flatten out, another fast forward and rewind before play back and previously I won't load for anything tapes actually load and play nicely. Clean heads capstan and rollers also help. Also sometimes the felt pressure pad falls off the cassette. make sure it's there.

• Like 1

I'd be interested to the see the original listing for Conquering Everest from Computing Today (May 1981) if anyone has a copy. Not sure if the original listing would be for the Atari or another system?

Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computing_Today) states that this UK magazine was owned by Argus Press (the same company that released the 1983 Atari release).

I can't find a PDF of this particular issue, but have found a cover scan on the 'net.

post-5888-0-12508200-1516794663.jpg

Please find scans also of cover, cassette and instructions as requested by Farb.

Enjoy! :)

AtariGrub

Hi Atarigrub!

Thank you so very much for that. It was really kind of you to take the time out to do that for me. Much appreciated, and if I can return the favour for you then please do message me and I will see what I can do. Thanks again!

click more reply options then make your post,

then scroll down

click browse, use that to find your file

then click attach this file

then click add to post

you know what to do after that.

Hi there, thank you for your assistance with this, giving Atarigrub some pointers has helped out a lot! I appreciate your time and effort!

Farb, I've not kept the original WAV file as these take too much of my storage space compared to the CAS file. Also, I've sometimes found that if a tape is warped or damaged in someway then neither side of the tape will work. However, by creating CAS files of both sides and using WinHEX its possible to create a fixed version.

Unfortunate, but thanks for checking and thank you for the scans!