IGNORED

The greener 1050

kheller2

http://www.mathyvannisselroy.nl/Atari%201050%20goes%20green.htm

Those folks who know better than I, are the RECOM R-78 series just as good as the tracpower switching regulators?

R-78E5.0-1.0 seems to be similar to the TSRN 1-2450 but a costs 4 times less.

I'm not seeing a RECOM 12V at 1A, are there better choices for drop in replacements for LMs?

there are alternatives - look on ebay for 7805 (and 7812) buck converter but try to get the fixed voltage rather than variable type

i did a green mod using tracopower and they were relatively expensive. i then did another drive with the buck converter type and its equally reliable, cool running and theyre also happy to run off a nintendo power supply

example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-1A-DC-DC-Step-Down-Power-Supply-Buck-Converter-Module-7805/232435169675?epid=2178511580&hash=item361e37398b:g:mdwAAOSwl5pZhCVg

theyre pin compatible and a direct replacement for 78xx regulators

my ZX Nuvo uses the recom branded one and it seems fine

hope this helps!

okay so the impedance of the electrolytic caps won't cut it, but if I use some ceramic caps in conjunction with those electrolytics.... progress

still unacceptable but I'm sure someone with the desire to go further with it will... just make sure it fails gracefully and puts out clean power. otherwise.. you killing you goods over time...

I added some chokes and coils, that's helping slightly... I'm sure someone's already done all this in pc power supplies btw....

remember all those puffy popped caps on those mother boards... hmmmm

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

After reading Mathy's page from a mention in a prior post, I was fascinated by the idea of reducing the power consumption on a 1050, so I ordered some of these 5/12V fixed voltage buck/regulators:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272451377177 - 5V 7805 direct replacement

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272451394766 - 12V 7812 direct replacement

Took 2 months to come in the mail from China, but now that I have them I'm not so in a rush to put them in a 1050 that's working perfectly well haha. And then there's the comments to consider about the really noisy RF output...

post-53052-0-31591900-1516778246_thumb.jpg

My 1050's stay as they were.

They survived 30+ years.

I don't use them all that much anyway...so what's the gain here ?

IF I'd do a voltage conversion on a 1050, I'd go all the way, take out everything power supply like in the 1050 and simply supply it with a good regulated PSU.

Oh and.....I'd trust those Traco Power's a lot more than those el-cheapo Chinese things. I use plenty of Chinese stuff, but only in non-critical places....who knows what these things will do when they fail....

Yeah - the only mod I would consider doing, is removing ALL of the 1050 power supply, and use an ATX supply, for 12VDC and 5VDC. A small ATX supply could power every Atari device is they were modified. Not sure I would want to modify every device I own. But I could say, setup a nice 800 Incognito, 1050USDoubler, IndusGT for CP/M with a single supply.

• Like 1