IGNORED

2017 Game Of The Year?

mr_intv

After being entertained by all that drama, I'm going to vote for Fight For The Cup Super Pro Hockey for game of 2017 and I may be the only one! :)

Even though it's really just an upgrade of Super Pro Hockey, I think it's more challenging, more realistic to the sport (faceoffs occur after each stop in play), period length can be customized so no more quitting after the first period. It's a win-win! :D

Thats a great game!

don't forget the issue with Motocross: the Mattel version doesn't work on PAL systems. It's not only a bug, but a total incompatibility.

Not a little problem, I would dare say...

When was Motocross released in Europe. I didn't even know it was released back in 1983. By the time Mattel Electronics would have been aware of the bug, they may have already closed; or close to closing. It is a good point as it looks like Mattel Electronics wasn't doing any PAL testing. That might have changed had they stayed in business.

After being entertained by all that drama, I'm going to vote for Fight For The Cup Super Pro Hockey for game of 2017 and I may be the only one! :)

Even though it's really just an upgrade of Super Pro Hockey, I think it's more challenging, more realistic to the sport (faceoffs occur after each stop in play), period length can be customized so no more quitting after the first period. It's a win-win! :D

It has bugs too. However those bugs are carry overs from the original Slap Shot Hockey. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/264204-super-pro-hockey/?p=3820411 Having a faceoff brought back to center after a penalty in the offensive zone is not exactly fair or realistic.

Having a faceoff brought back to center after a penalty in the offensive zone is not exactly fair or realistic.

It's still better than leaving the puck where it was before the penalty and letting everyone have a free for all! So yeah it is more realistic in that sense even though it may not be in the correct faceoff circle.

Edited by atarifan88

It's still better than leaving the puck where it was before the penalty and letting everyone have a free for all! So yeah it is more realistic in that sense even though it may not be in the correct faceoff circle.

Suppose I'm in a good shooting position and the goalie is down; the other team attacks one of my teamates that doesn't have the puck and play is blown dead. Realistically, play is not blown dead while I have the puck and I'm allowed to shoot. Old Intellivision hockey would pause play for the penalty and then continue where it was. This version, kills the play and brings the play back to center ice. Honestly, it's not a big deal because it's not core game-play. I'd be more concerned about the shooting bug that came-over with the original Slap Shot Hockey.

I'd be more concerned about the shooting bug that came-over with the original Slap Shot Hockey.

To be honest, that has not been a big deal for me. I was more bothered by the bug where you could go behind the net and shoot at it and score. I think they took that bug out with this update.

Let's just collect of what games were released in 2017 and vote on them.

If you don't like a game, simply don't vote for it. You can pick any reason why you didn't vote for a game: low quality, too hard, too easy, too quick, too slow, or perhaps the greatest sin of all of boring.

• Like 5

Let's just collect of what games were released in 2017 and vote on them.

If you don't like a game, simply don't vote for it. You can pick any reason why you didn't vote for a game: low quality, too hard, too easy, too quick, too slow, or perhaps the greatest sin of all of boring.

That sounds way too reasonable to actually work.

• Like 3

And deflecting and stating hey even Mattel did this or that .., Really !!

Its just a way as an excuse and justification on not accepting the truth on The Physical release

Of this game.

It's not deflecting, and it's not an excuse or justification. It's a reminder of how the world works (and has always worked).

Multi-million dollar corporations had this happen to them. Multiple times. Back when they easily sold a quarter of a million copies of a game and had million+ dollar budgets to throw around for testing/QA, recalls, fixes, etc. A group of hobbyists doing this in their spare time, selling a few hundred copies at best, making less than minimum wage given the time involved, is never, ever going to be as good on testing/QA and bug remediation post-release.

I'm sorry if people find that hard to believe, or if you think it's somehow making excuses, but this is what comes with the territory when it comes to homebrew games. The risk you take when buying a homebrew is that it may barely even work, and there may be no forthcoming fix. If people aren't aware of that, maybe we need some more education. Instead of slandering the entire homebrew community as some sort of scam. Not saying you're doing that, but I've seen it here and in other places.

• Like 1

back to topic

we have actually some different options.

no discussion (or at least I believe so...) that the following games can be included in the poll (strictly in alphabetical order):

- Hotel Bunny
- Jawcrusher
- Jr. Pac-Man
- Moon Blast
- Oregon Trail

The remaining titles are:

- Fight For The Cup Super Pro Hockey

- Sydney Hunter & The Sacred Tribe (Standard Edition)

- Laser Sharks (cartridge)

- Space Beaver (Mattel Version)

- BC's Quest for Tires (Standard Edition)

- The Lost Caves of Kroz (re-release)

Personally, among those I would only include Fight For The Cup Super Pro Hockey and Space Beaver in the poll. There are major differences between their ROM and those of the previously released versions (Super Pro Hockey and Space C*nt) and in my opinion that's enough to make me consider them as new releases. It actually happened the same last year with Mystic Castle, Super Pro Baseball and also Lock'n'Chase Collapsing Lupin in the Legacy Version of the GOTY.
I would not include Sydney Hunter & The Sacred Tribe (Standard Edition) and BC's Quest for Tires (Standard Edition) because a new packaging (with or without new artwork) doesn't change the fact that the games are the same as the already released ones. It would be like to judge a book we have already read by its new cover.
I would not even include Laser Sharks because it's just a Stand-Alone Easter Egg of another game, moreover included in the poll, put into a cart. If one wants to vote for Laser Sharks as GOTY he may simply give his vote to Moon Blast
Lastly, I don't know if the copies of The Lost Caves of Kroz released last year differ somehow from the ones made before. And if they do, in what way?
SoulBuster, enlighten us
  • Like 2

Rev didn't purposely release any games with known game-breaking bugs still in them. That's absolutely ridiculous to think so. Hey, shit happens sometimes.. these things sometime slip past testing and that's just how it goes. Like freewheel said, this is a hobby that is done for fun, in people's spare time and it is not a multi million dollar business.. No game is 100% bug free. Rev said he will make it right and i believe he will, so let's try to have some patience. ;)

Bugs or not, I'm voting for Jr. Pac Man as game of the year. I haven't played it a ton, haven't had time to but I haven't ran across any bugs yet. I do need to play it more though.

back to topic

we have actually some different options.

no discussion (or at least I believe so...) that the following games can be included in the poll (strictly in alphabetical order):

- Hotel Bunny

- Jawcrusher

- Jr. Pac-Man

- Moon Blast

- Oregon Trail

The remaining titles are:

- Fight For The Cup Super Pro Hockey

- Sydney Hunter & The Sacred Tribe (Standard Edition)

- Laser Sharks (cartridge)

- Space Beaver (Mattel Version)

- BC's Quest for Tires (Standard Edition)

- The Lost Caves of Kroz (re-release)

Personally, among those I would only include Fight For The Cup Super Pro Hockey and Space Beaver in the poll. There are major differences between their ROM and those of the previously released versions (Super Pro Hockey and Space C*nt) and in my opinion that's enough to make me consider them as new releases. It actually happened the same last year with Mystic Castle, Super Pro Baseball and also Lock'n'Chase Collapsing Lupin in the Legacy Version of the GOTY.

I would not include Sydney Hunter & The Sacred Tribe (Standard Edition) and BC's Quest for Tires (Standard Edition) because a new packaging (with or without new artwork) doesn't change the fact that the games are the same as the already released ones. It would be like to judge a book we have already read by its new cover.

I would not even include Laser Sharks because it's just a Stand-Alone Easter Egg of another game, moreover included in the poll, put into a cart. If one wants to vote for Laser Sharks as GOTY he may simply give his vote to Moon Blast

Lastly, I don't know if the copies of The Lost Caves of Kroz released last year differ somehow from the ones made before. And if they do, in what way?

SoulBuster, enlighten us

I like that statement "back to topic"

Valid points have been brought up by Simone, This has my vote for the GOTY nominee's

Also what would be an acceptable timetable for length of the voting / campaigning 30 days maybe 21 days ?.. ;)

Cheers