IGNORED

*NEW* ATARI LYNX Buying Guide + Screen Mod+ Favorite 12 Games

Metal Jesus

Obviously few people in this forum may need a Atari Lynx Buying Guide video...but I wanted to share mine here to see what you guys thought.

Big shoutout to Marco (McWill) here on AtariAge for doing an awesome job on the screen mod!

As for video capture, I could have probably just captured the VGA out on the modded Lynx but decided on just using OpenEmu instead for speed and convenience.

I also purposely left out that there are two versions of the d-pad on model 1. I felt going to far into the weeds for casual viewers may bore them.

• Like 9

I watched the video, but don't remember if spoke of the homebrew scene for the Lynx? Lots of great stuff to be had as well.

Also you did link on where to get the kit from Console5, but should include a link for the AA forums so that people can get in touch with McWill on having him mod theirs vs trying it themselves with the kit. I haven't done the Game Gear kit yet, but even the Lynx one isn't for beginners.

Oh..and I would include the lynx version of Xenophobe as a must have for anyone interested in getting the Lynx.

Some of the homebrews have rom releases, but I was meaning more of actual released homebrews that can be bought for the Lynx. It isn't quite as active as say the 2600 homebrew scene, but it does exist and there is some really fun stuff to be had.

I considered mentioning that scene but I dont have much experience with it. Does it require a Everdrive-like SD cartridge? Can you only play them via an emulator?

See the thread in this forum from SainT who makes an SD multi card adapter for the Lynx. Home brew. All. Day. Long.

• Like 1

Very nice getting a high quality video on the Lynx, thanks!

so many times younger gamers see "Atari" and automatically think it's going to be lame. My goal with the video was to really get people excited about the Lynx and how special it really is! I think the Lynx and GameGear are kinda the ultimate combo! LOL

• Like 1

You hit pause and option 2 to flip the screen. On half-pipe you have to push down and up when going in those directions to pick up speed along with doing a trick everytime. Good video, I would have added Rampart, Klax, and Tournament Cyberball 2072. Just kidding on the last one, I seem to be the only person who enjoys Tournament Cyberball 2072.

I really enjoyed the video. You never know on Youtube if a reviewer is going to give the Lynx a fair shake, and you certainly did. I'm glad you covered Scrapyard Dog - it seems to get overlooked but is really a fun title. I've been a subscriber for a few years now and have enjoyed quite a few of your videos.

Some other top-notch Lynx titles are Klax, Lemmings, and Shadow of the Beast. SotB is actually much more playable than any of the other ports or even the original, in my opinion. Many of the arcade ports (Joust, Robotron, Rampart, Rampage, Toki, S.T.U.N. Runner, etc.) are highly polished and very impressive for their time. The Lynx has an unusually high ratio of good games to bad games - just the opposite of the Jaguar. I was going to post these comments on your Youtube page, but there were already nearly 500 comments within just a few hours of uploading the video, and honestly what's the point at that rate? :)

EDIT: The best part about your video is that my wife overheard me watching it and asked if I would ever want the McWill screen mod...Christmas is only 11 months away!

Edited by PFG 9000
  • Like 2

so many times younger gamers see "Atari" and automatically think it's going to be lame. My goal with the video was to really get people excited about the Lynx and how special it really is! I think the Lynx and GameGear are kinda the ultimate combo! LOL

Yeah, companies and technology and probably personnel changes all the time, it's quite useless thinking and comparing like that, but it seems to be human nature in some way. Better to enjoy and share all the good consoles and computers, and only tease fanboys of other brands a little bit ;P
Btw. I think your video covered all the Lynx basics in a great way and technically the video is superb!
I agree that the Lynx is special, and I think it's unique in all aspects :) the industrial design (the cases of both models and the carts), the hardware design (interesting pseudo 3d hardware support ahead of its time, e.g sprite scaling and stretching, using triangles instead of polygons) and the game library has quite a few good games not found on other platforms.
I do love my gameboys too, but I remember it feeling slightly like a slap in the face when Nintendo came out with the technically inferior gameboy colour way later after the Lynx and the Game Gear. However it shows very clearly that making appealing games usually don't have much to do with technical details.
Still the fact that the Lynx has untapped technical potential and some gaps in its game library makes its homebrew scene one of the most exciting ones in my mind. All the popular systems already have most kinds of games. The different tools for creating Lynx homebrew have become quite mature the last years too. Perhaps the most impressive homebrew releases so far that comes to mind are Zaku and Alpine Games.
There's one small thing in the video that I want to nitpick :P that the Lynx wouldn't be 'powerful enough' to make the corner turns in Xybots. This is actually hardware-wise the exact thing the Lynx should be good at, so it's more likely a programmer issue or maybe a memory issue, not being able to fit too much stuff into the game. Please sometimes check out the freeware homebrew demo Luchtenstein 3D or Epyx game Electrocop for some good examples of what the Lynx can handle.
Anyways, thanks again for making the video, it's nice that the Lynx gets some time in the spotlight. Hopefully it would attract some more developers to the system / AtariAge too.
It's such a great thing that these old great machines have active communities and new releases.
  • Like 1

Obviously few people in this forum may need a Atari Lynx Buying Guide video...but I wanted to share mine here to see what you guys thought.

Big shoutout to Marco (McWill) here on AtariAge for doing an awesome job on the screen mod!

As for video capture, I could have probably just captured the VGA out on the modded Lynx but decided on just using OpenEmu instead for speed and convenience.

I also purposely left out that there are two versions of the d-pad on model 1. I felt going to far into the weeds for casual viewers may bore them.

Great video, Metal Jesus. Thoroughly researched and entertaining. I love that, thanks to you in no small way, the Atari Lynx may finally be getting the attention that it deserves.

-MillipedeMan

Atari Lynx HandyCast (cover photo)