IGNORED

Model 68509 Video Game Accessory Tester

shantke

Model 68509 Video Game Accessory Tester- I just acquired this from eBay. Has anybody ever seen one of these before? I can't find any information about it. Does anyone know what a 361.75800 might be? Maybe a part number for a Sears Heavy Sixer? I wonder if this was used by the Atari Service Department or maybe Sear Repair Services. This is what I have for cross referenced part numbers from Sears Catalogs I could find online. Any help or information about this thing would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

post-45542-0-44949900-1516390942_thumb.jpg

Front

post-45542-0-19400100-1516390960_thumb.jpg

Top Side

post-45542-0-60517800-1516390989_thumb.jpg

Back

(SEARS ?)

(SEARS VIDEO ARCADE 6SL)

(SEARS VIDEO ARCADE 4SW)

PADDLE

(SEARS VIDEO ARCADE II)

{497.75220}
(SEARS SUPER VIDEO ARCADE)

(ATARI 5200 FOUR PORT?)

637.7850C
(ATARI 5200 TWO PORT)

• Like 1

I saw this on facebook!

Super interesting device.

From my 3 seconds looking at the image, it doesn't seem like there is a lot of electronics in the actual device.

Atari joysticks are just arrays of switches, so it seems like this device might just test the conductivity of the switches.

But then again there are some heatsinks on either side of the board... so I'm not sure if it has any active components...

Correct, no chips of any kind. Just LEDs, wiring, circuits, 2 9V Batteries and a Voltmeter. The LEDs come on in different patterns depending on what you push on the joystick. I wonder if there was some kind of book to tell you what was supposed to light up and when. I could figure out the patterns and right them down for the Atari sticks, but I don't have a Sears Super Arcade Controller. I wonder if it would be wired the same as an Intellivision II controller that I also don't have yet?

The #4 Port has 15 pins and the part number on the side is the same number used in the 1983 Sears Wishbook for the Atari 5200 two port. I hooked up a 5200 controller to that Port #4 and the buttons all light up the LEDs in different sequences and moving the joystick makes the Voltmeter bounce around.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I would buy another one if the price was right. The first one I got was low priced. I think that it is rare enough item that no one is looking for it so it doesn't drive the price up much. There is also next to zero information about it other than what is in this thread. No ads from old magazines, no commercials or any mention of it in catalogs. I think it was probably a repair tool used by Sears Repair Centers based on the stickers having Sear Parts numbers for the Atari Controllers.

On 1/5/2020 at 10:19 AM, shantke said:

I would buy another one if the price was right. The first one I got was low priced. I think that it is rare enough item that no one is looking for it so it doesn't drive the price up much. There is also next to zero information about it other than what is in this thread. No ads from old magazines, no commercials or any mention of it in catalogs. I think it was probably a repair tool used by Sears Repair Centers based on the stickers having Sear Parts numbers for the Atari Controllers.

the one I have came form a closed parts and repair center

• 1 month later...

Cool device.  I just received one of these from a friend at work.  Not in the best of condition though.  My friends' father was a repair tech for Sears Roebuck for 40 some years so this all makes sense that it's a tester from them.