IGNORED

7800 Heavy Sixer 2.0

Shawn

I built a 7800 into a heavy sixer shell many moons ago and I recently got the itch to build another one. Here are a couple pics of the beginnings of my work on this.

Thought some of you might want to see these. There is a shit ton of work to go but you will get the general idea when you see all I have removed from the 7800 board to be rewired to the 2600 switch panel, power, controller ports,ect. All have to be rerouted to the proper spots on the sixer shell. The bottom half the 2600 shell needs tons of dremiling to properly house the 7800 motherboard. Hardest part of this is getting the edge connector attached firmly and lined up properly but I've done it before so I can do it again :) Right now the cart glide you see is just sitting at the angle I want, it's not attached yet. I'm toying with the options of using a PCB and soldering the angles for stability or hand wiring from the motherboard up to the edge connector and having the glide enter from the top so any preasure form the cart goes to the shell and not the board.

post-7107-0-16803600-1516415283_thumb.jpg

post-7107-0-90149200-1516415516_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Man, that's a ton of work alright - nice job! Pretty cool, especially if you happened to have a good 7800 board with a shitty shell and a busted 2600 board with a nice shell. haha

Regarding the cartridge slot... imagine you're also hacking it so Imagic and other goofily shaped carts fit?

• Like 1

Man, that's a ton of work alright - nice job! Pretty cool, especially if you happened to have a good 7800 board with a shitty shell and a busted 2600 board with a nice shell. haha

Regarding the cartridge slot... imagine you're also hacking it so Imagic and other goofily shaped carts fit?

I've got some extra cart glides that imagic and activison carts fit in just fine. So yes that is being addressed for sure. Building this for second time it's going a lot smoother than the first time I made one. I'm just chipping away at it when I feel up to it. I'm in no rush to get it done.

• Like 2

Does this mean it is more fully functional for 2600 games? Like does the tv type switch pause when flipping back and forth on 7800 games but still can be put in either position on 2600 games?

Yes, the color switch will be left as it should be for 2600 game use as well. For 7800 pause use you just push it down then back up.

• Like 1

Playing around with making a template to build the cart glide support. I put the switch panel bezel on and then measured the angles to cut out on cardboard. I cut out some plastic from a chip tube to back it with and attached it to the cardboard template to see how it stood up. The cart glide will be inline with the original footprint on the 7800 motherboard so it can be screwed in place for stability using the original holes. When adding this cart glide support I'll just be securing it differently to adjust for the height and angle difference in each. I used some medical tape over the cardboard so it can stand up to playing with it a little while I figure out what I'm doing with it. Here is a couple rough pics. One with the cardboard template in the console and a couple others of the design and then the cart glide with the support template sitting as it will when finished. I don't know if I'm going for one long piece or 2 smaller peices for this support. I will try both. I think you will get the idea.

post-7107-0-51485400-1517267649.jpg

post-7107-0-12442300-1517267223.jpg

post-7107-0-76527100-1517267232.jpg

post-7107-0-23925700-1517267240_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...