IGNORED

Any MSX love?

VicViper

From mrc forum about amount of RAM vs. MSX games:

8K: Nothing works, don't bother

16K: Most cartridge games work.

32K: Games made in BASIC work. Maybe 50% of MSX1 games in total.

48K: 90% of MSX1 games work, you can play cracked 16K-32K cartridge games as well.

64K: All MSX1 games work and Japanese MSX2 games. You can load MSX-DOS

128K: European MSX2 games work, you can start up MSX-DOS2

256K: You can play cracked MegaROMs. Generally 98% of all games work.

512K: All of the games and cracks work.

1024K: You can copy whole game disk on one disk change... Maybe you have a special need?... or maybe you are just showing off.

2048K or more: Yup, you are definitely just showing off.

• Like 3

I never paid attention to 48K MSX1 machines, I thought they went straight from 32K to 64K but if the experts say so, there must exist some of the 48K variety as well.

Edit: I found this discussion on the MSX.org about best (and worst) MSX models, which can be useful to some people:

https://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/hardware/what-best-computer-msx-msx2-msx2-and-msx-turbo-r

Edited by carlsson

• 1 month later...

My latest display of MSX love: A relatively simple, single IO Port expansion slot, so I can use my V9990 Powergraph Lite and use the FM sythesizer features of the GR8NET cartridge, along with the game/megaflashrom in slot 1.

post-42954-0-51765800-1520405458_thumb.jpg

This doesn't do any sub-slot decoding, so the expansion slot select is given fully to the slot closed to the edge connector. This allows the GR8NET cartridge to continue to do the subslot work it does without any hassle.

The extra slot, then is only for IO port devices, such as the V9990 enhanced display cartridge.

Audio is 'mixed' from both, and DATADIR and INT signals from both cartridges are properly sent to the MSX.

post-42954-0-68830900-1520405818_thumb.jpg

It isn't big enough for the old really big cartridges like the original Powergraph icon_smile.gif But I wanted something more compact.

post-42954-0-59273200-1520405836_thumb.jpg

I stuck some rubber feet underneath the board to support it.

Now I've tested it with the Myths and Dragons game recently released that uses all 3 of these cartridges.

-M@

• Like 3

How is that game in your setup?

Pretty fun... It sounds good and play is smooth. I'm using a Panasonic FS-A1FX (the 2+ without built in FM)

The game is too big for the GR8NET's ROM Mapper, but fits in the MegaFlashRom...

It feels like something I'd play on a SNES :) which is a good thing.

-M@

I just purchased a Panasonic FS-A1WSX expanded to 512k but I am new to MSX. What SD card options do you recommend?

Thanks

This is also my "daily use" MSX. Sexy as hell. :-)

You should definitely grab a Megaflashrom from www.msxcartridgeshop.com. That piece of hardware + a software called "SofaRun" would solve all your gaming needs, you´ll be able to run about 99.9% of the entire MSX library.

For those willing to give a try to an mx1 this is a web emulator with quite a lot of games to be selected by a menu

http://www.file-hunter.com/MSX/index.php?id=uridium48

Uridium48 is the freeware version of a port done of mine

This is original mine instead

http://www.file-hunter.com/MSX/index.php?id=deepdungeon

I've also developed the voice coder used in this Salamander patch

http://www.file-hunter.com/MSX/index.php?id=salamander

Very nice to see you around here Artrag! :-)

Uridium is a really solid piece of hardware and only gets more impressive when you are aware of MSX1 limitations.

I was lucky enough to grab a copy a while ago.

IMG_9190.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wasnt the Spectravideo MSX compatible, as well as the Memotech machines? Both of which were sold in the US.

No, they were not. The SV-318/328 were one of the inspirations for the MSX spec, but were not compatible, since they were released before the standard. The only MSX machines sold in the US were the Yamaha CX5 music computer series, and those were mostly limited to music stores with emphasis on MIDI integration. They were all MSX 1 machines.

• Like 1

However Spectravideo later did release MSX computers in the 728, 738 series and more, but I doubt they sold those in the USA.

Memotech shares most of the chipset with MSX, just like Sega SC-3000, Coleco ADAM, Tatung Einstein etc (not to mention predecessors like Colecovision, Sord M5 and the already mentioned SVI-318/328). Some of those were possible to hack or load additional software which would allow them to run some MSX software.

• Like 1

However Spectravideo later did release MSX computers in the 728, 738 series and more, but I doubt they sold those in the USA.

Memotech shares most of the chipset with MSX, just like Sega SC-3000, Coleco ADAM, Tatung Einstein etc (not to mention predecessors like Colecovision, Sord M5 and the already mentioned SVI-318/328). Some of those were possible to hack or load additional software which would allow them to run some MSX software.

Yeah, Spectravideo never sold those in the US. MSX releases in the US were always just around the corner, but they never ended up coming. It makes sense, because by the time they would have seen wide release, the C-64 had the low end market locked up, with "stragglers" like Atari and Tandy filling in the remaining gaps. There really was no place for a new-to-the-US low end platform (I talk a bit about all of this and the MSX in this older article for PC Gamer: https://www.pcgamer.com/the-bright-life-of-the-msx-japans-underdog-pc/).

• Like 1

Certainly true in retrospect, in particular as the US market much sooner and faster moved onto relatively expensive 16-bits compared to at least Europe, probably also Japan. Had it been released worldwide with different electronics manufacturers in the fall of 1983, or had a little more advanced hardware, perhaps it would have had a chance. If Steve Jobs managed to negotiate a price on the Motorola 68000 that was 1/4 or less of the list price, I would have expected that Nishi or even Bill Gates could have negotiated with Motorola on behalf of all those electronics manufacturers for a good price on the same CPU, even if it had been combined with the same VDP and AY. Exactly how much more powerful a such computer would've been compared to using the Z80 can be argued - the Sinclair QL doesn't seem too hot despite having a cut-down 68008 - but at least they could have marketed it as an affordable 16/32-bit (MSX) computer before or simultaneously with both the QL and of course the original Macintosh.

I use the MSX core on MiST, it runs many games that I remember so good enough for me (e.g. Knightmare, King's Vallley). It is a port of the OneChipMSX project, so is pretty accurate. You just give up the ability to use real MSX carts.

It has SCC support, and you can actually find patched versions of some Konami games with nicer sound :)

Edited by Newsdee

I love the msx. I use my Philips nms-8245 as my goto msx2 computer. I replaced the floppydrive with a 720k gotek floppy emulator and that works fine. Some day i plan to own a scc multicart. But for now i have other priorities.

Im currently scaling down my collection, and doing so i just sold my Philips nms-8250 and Philips vg-8235. Both had a bad floppy drive. Sold them to a other collector here in the Netherlands for 100. So deals can still be have if you get lucky.

In the netherlands we have marktplaats for selling stuff, and here you can find Philips brand msx2 computers pretty often for under 100. Only downside for those out of Europe is that they are PAL and use 220v.

Gamesack did a show on the MSX very recent. May be nice to have a look. LGR also has some MSX videos as well as CGR.

I really love the Konami games for the MSX. Sadly they become pricy. Would love to add Nemesis and Metal Gear to the collection, since i have fond memories playing these games at my friends place.

My latest display of MSX love: A relatively simple, single IO Port expansion slot, so I can use my V9990 Powergraph Lite and use the FM sythesizer features of the GR8NET cartridge, along with the game/megaflashrom in slot 1.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180301_184019.jpg

This doesn't do any sub-slot decoding, so the expansion slot select is given fully to the slot closed to the edge connector. This allows the GR8NET cartridge to continue to do the subslot work it does without any hassle.

The extra slot, then is only for IO port devices, such as the V9990 enhanced display cartridge.

Audio is 'mixed' from both, and DATADIR and INT signals from both cartridges are properly sent to the MSX.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180301_183952.jpg

It isn't big enough for the old really big cartridges like the original Powergraph icon_smile.gif But I wanted something more compact.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180301_183845.jpg

I stuck some rubber feet underneath the board to support it.

Now I've tested it with the Myths and Dragons game recently released that uses all 3 of these cartridges.

-M@

Given how hard it is to get a Slot Expander in the US, or even internationally, as they are rare, and often overkill for the actual need, I assembled and tested the rest of the pcboards for my MSX IO Slot board.

The inventory I have is available through ArcadeShopper.com : https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/?page_id=11#!/MSX/c/28368036/offset=0&sort=nameAsc

I'm happy to build more in small volume as desired.
----
Aside from that, because I'm a little bit crazy, I ordered up a GR8BIT. Building one of those sounds like countless hours of fun. Has anyone else at Atariage built up a GR8BIT?

-M@

• Like 1

What expansions are currently available to order and not a fortune? At one point they had an expansion that allowed Colecovision games to play that I did not think was overly expensive but I don't think it is available anymore. The Sega Master System/SG1000 expansion is about $250 if I remember correctly.

I'd be interested in an expansion board should I find expansions. :)

What expansions are currently available to order and not a fortune? At one point they had an expansion that allowed Colecovision games to play that I did not think was overly expensive but I don't think it is available anymore. The Sega Master System/SG1000 expansion is about $250 if I remember correctly.

I'd be interested in an expansion board should I find expansions. icon_smile.gif

Everything costs a fortune... :) LOL....

I think most of the Colecovision stuff has been machine or hand ported now. I have a collection of Coleco 'ports' to MSX that use the PSG sound, are just .rom files. Work like simple 16k cartridges mostly. I believe they were bundled up in TOSEC

My board is really targeted at the Technobytes V9990 Powergraph Lite. They released it, but were sold out and not taking orders for their 4 port subslot expander ( mine doesn't decode subslots ) and want almost as much for the expander as the V9990, which would have been more than my MSX cost... My board or the design files will always be available so there is a cheaper alternative.

I think these things are seasonal :) Anyway, you have to follow msx.org daily to get in on anything new for the MSX.

The 2 slots on the computer itself are plenty, until they aren't...

-M@

• Like 2

There are a few small COM files which are emulators you can load together with Colecovision and SG-1000 ROM files. The sound may be a little off as it converts SN76489 to AY, but otherwise those programs work great and you don't need to have Colecovision/Sega games hand ported to run on the MSX. I wrote about those programs some years ago.

• Like 2

What is totally missing is the port of Adam games to msx.

Mission works fine in emulating the colecovision bios on msx, but it does not support Adam.

I may be wrong but good Adam games are not so many, maybe the best solution would be to convert them to rom individually

Edited by artrag

• 3 weeks later...

You have to see this Nemesis III mod

files are here

https://github.com/bladeba/MSX/tree/master/Enhanced%20Games/Nemesis%203%20-%20enhanced

List of changes:

• Smooth screen scrolling
  • TurboFIX routine (original routine by FRS)
  • New player ships GFX by Toni Galvez who also did amazing new Intro, ship menu, and in-game graphics.
  • Voice Set (SCC in other slot/subslot) by WYZ/ARTRAG.
  • New Voicet SET with better sound quality and a lot of new voices.
  • You can have the ROM of the game and the other SCC for Voice SET in the same slot expander.
  • You can insert the other SCC "in hot" in the INI screen and it'll be detected.
  • Compatible with the double SCC mode in Flashjacks
  • DrumFIX by WYZ
  • Enables the TURBOCPU in PANASONIC TR & 2+
  • In pause mode -> extra options:
    - F2 key: In pause-> change player ship GFX
    - F3 key: In pause-> change gameplay speed
    - F4 key: In pause-> change Invincible mode
  • Joymega support:
    - START button: Pause
    - A button: Continue, extend game
    - X button: In pause-> change player ship GFX
    - Y button: In pause-> change gameplay speed
    - Z button: In pause-> change Invincible mode
  • Selectable at boot: Language, VDP freq., invincible...
Edited by artrag
  • Like 2

BR8BIT: Looked at it many times, and it does look fun, but I'm the kind of person who wants to do the whole thing myself instead of using a kit. ;-) Nothing against the GR8BIT, I think it is cool, I just like doing things the hard way and reinventing the wheel every chance I get.

As for the MSX (the thread topic), I like the system a lot and I really wish it had made it to the U.S. like it did in Japan, Europe, and seemingly everywhere else. I would have loved having that system, although it was just a little late to be in the "home computer" era IMO. If only it had been around between 1979 and 1982 and available in the U.S. Ah well.

I did not even know about the MSX until 2001 or 2002, and I managed to get a nice Toshiba HX-10 64K on Ebay. It is a really nice unit with a good feeling keyboard and nice layout. The main-board is really nicely designed too, very clean. The MSX has a great BASIC with full control over the VDP and VRAM, all graphics modes accessible, and the ability to access machine language from BASIC. Very powerful, would have been great fun BITD. A lot of the games are also very impressive and really show off the capabilities of the system and the 9918A VDP (unlike the crappy "blocky" software TI was pushing out on the 99/4A).

I also really like seeing all the different styles of computers that manufacturers came up with. Having some many different computers, yet totally software compatible, is pretty neat. And the expandability of the system is pretty impressive.

The MSX2 is also nice, and I think there are even more types of that system than the MSX1. They are harder to get though (at least that has been my experience on Ebay), and just picking a model to try and get can itself be a daunting task. I managed to get a Sony HitBit (can't remember the model), but it is a PAL system so I have not been able to mess with it yet. I think I need to make an F38 soon. :-)

• Like 2