IGNORED

SNES Classic Edition On A CRT TV?

You would need an HDMI to composite converter or any other device that will accept an HDMI input and output composite(can't think of any at the moment but at one time I had a device that output component only, and had a dvd recorder that accepted component and output composite so that worked out for me in that case but you need a device that accepts HDMI and outputs composite). Probably just find a cheap converter. I got one of those cheap ones on ebay to test out HDMI devices on my work bench and hooked up an Xbox 360 to it to test it out, and got nothing and had to go back and hook it up in the living room so I ether got a bad one or something up with the cheap ones so you may want to find one that has good reviews.

EDIT:

I had also assumed your TV has composite inputs, it may not have any or it may even accept component as well in that case get HDMI to component converter.

EDIT 2:

And if your TV has neither composite or component inputs you would have to get an RF Modulator as well.

Edited by SignGuy81

You can do this- just get a later CRT that has HDMI input(s). They come in wide and fullscreen orientations. 720p/1080i is the highest resolution you can get, but until recent OLED sets became affordable these HDMI CRTs had the best black levels and other tube benefits. All you miss out on is lightgun gaming. Keep an eye on your local Craigslist and thrift stores.

For reference this is the cheap model HDMI to composite converter that did not work with an Xbox 360 I tried(which worked fine on a TV with HDMI input).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1080P-HDMI-Mini-Composite-to-RCA-Audio-Video-AV-CVBS-Converter-Adapter-For-HDTV/391894489976?hash=item5b3ebb5b78:m:mqjsN6647xXe91_qqGhTuDg

I could have just got a bad one I haven't had a chance to look at it yet also the link above may not be the same I used when I bought mine.

It's actually much cheaper to get real consoles and games/flashcarts.

That would have been my first suggestion, except the SNES is arguably the most expensive retro console outside the NeoGeo, and the price of a flash cart is often a show stopper. You can usually justify the cost of a new TV because you can use it for other things.

If going HDMI adapter, get the analog conversion that steps down to the best input of your CRT:

Component>SVideo>Composite

However, if your CRT is an HD CRT, then use the HDMI or DVI input with a HDMI adapter cable. Note that if DVI input, you would still need a digital to analog audio converter to utilize the RCA jack audio inputs.

• Like 2

Be aware, the SNES mini ads around 2 frames of lag to the setup (maybe more actually?). That's before any digital to analogue converting you need. No, that's not display lag, this is the system itself, because of the emulation.

I guess either getting a super cheap gaming monitor or a real SNES might be better investments then buying adapters that you won't likely be using in the future.

Your mileage may vary substantially with these things but they do have Extron Units that output 480i for pretty reasonable prices (50). You will need either a passive or active converter to get it to VGA or RGBHV.

They also have Extron Units that do 240p.... but once you get into 240p output things quickly get crazy price-wise.

http://retrorgb.com/240p.html

Fudoh has a lot of excellent information on the Extron units (he also talks about the 480i options and talks about a way to get a pseudo 480p mode out of them).

http://scanlines.hazard-city.de/

I got both of the methods above working and was amused, but either method isn't perfect. Both methods presented with some kind of moving line of distortion (like a rolling scan line maybe?). Wasn't too noticeable unless the screen was moving but a perfectionist will not like it.

That would have been my first suggestion, except the SNES is arguably the most expensive retro console outside the NeoGeo, and the price of a flash cart is often a show stopper. You can usually justify the cost of a new TV because you can use it for other things.

oh poppycock. i paid 25 bucks for mine at goodwill, with mario allstars + world and 4 other games. granted this was 2004 and a steal even then, but you can still buy snes at gamexchange for 54 bucks when they come in stock. they arent exactly rare like say turbografx. turbo everdrive v2 is like 80 bucks, cheaper than some carts and plays most non chipped games plus dsp1.

oh poppycock. i paid 25 bucks for mine at goodwill, with mario allstars + world and 4 other games. granted this was 2004 and a steal even then, but you can still buy snes at gamexchange for 54 bucks when they come in stock. they arent exactly rare like say turbografx. turbo everdrive v2 is like 80 bucks, cheaper than some carts and plays most non chipped games plus dsp1.

A decent -sized HDTV can be had for about $200. The RPGs on the mini ALONE would put you way over that. If you want to run SMK, you're going to need a more expensive everdrive. 2004 was a while ago.

• Like 1

A decent -sized HDTV can be had for about $200. The RPGs on the mini ALONE would put you way over that. If you want to run SMK, you're going to need a more expensive everdrive. 2004 was a while ago.

SNES are still like 60 bucks at GameXChange, when they get them in. I paid $80 for my everdrive v2 and $5 for a Ballz3D cart. Installed my own dsp1 chip. Newer everdrives you don't even need a donor.