IGNORED

How old are you?

mr_intv

Captain Kirk already has taken care of that. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V-bPLmtAFg

Sorry, Kirk. I'll stick with the Intellivision or 2600. The Vic's flickering non-sprites and clunky animation just don't do it for me.

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

• Like 1

Are you actually serious ? The 2600 has much worse flickering than vic20. Obviously you never compared the two side by side.

Just referring specifically to the game examples they showed in the ad, as not winning me over if I owned an Atari or Intellivision back then.. which I did, and it didn't.

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

This age is kind of a motivation to now make a homebrew/Independent game. People with money and attention and focus will buy now, I think, more than ever. Several years ago when the bulk of Intellivision fans were in their 30s with more distractions (eg, family) would not move many games. Several years from now with the bulk of people in their 50s-60s, the potential audience wont care as much.

Now is the time! Go make something cool and put it on a cart!

• Like 2

According to a birthday card I got last month, I am 47 years-young. I wouldn't trust it, though; I stopped counting sometime in the 1990s, and that was just the other day, so it couldn't be that long, right? Right??

Anyway, here's a bit of a chronology on my Intellivision life:

• 9 years-old: My first Intellivision in summer 1980.
  • 12 years-old: Received ECS for Christmas 1983.
  • 12 years-old: My father sold ECS to neighbor after we both learned how crappy it was as a computer to do anything at all. (Replaced by a C=64 that Christmas).
  • 17 years-old: I lent my Intellivision console and games to a then-girlfriend, Jessica. When I broke up with her a few months later, I never saw it again. :(
  • 37 years-old: Re-discovered the Intellivision community while searching on the Internet in 2008. I bought a console with games off e-Bay and joined the INTV-Prog mailing list. Started working on my first game: a port of Pac-Man.
  • 40 years-old: Decided to turn that Pac-Man project into a "Christmas-Themed" electronic greeting card to the Intellivision community on December 2010 and released it as "Christmas Carol vs. The Ghost Of Christmas Presents."
  • 41 years-old: Completed re-writing Christmas Carol as a full-fledged game, and published it in CGE-2012 as a boxed cartridge release. Added an easter egg that announces my next game for 2015.
  • 42 years-old: Started working on a game framework for my next games in 2012. It should be done in a few months and I'll be able to release my game in a year.
  • 47 years-old: 2015 came and went, still working on my next game as of 2018... any day now. Maybe another year or four.

-dZ.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

41. Inty was my only game system from 1982 (see my Intro Post) until my sister took it with her to college in 1992. As for being "the wrong age," - Inty was still a "very current" game system when I was 8, and while the NES came out when I was 10, INTV kept selling until I was a teenager.

Kept up with Intellivision goings-on, including getting the original Mac/PC "Intellivision Lives!" CD-ROM as soon as it came out. My sister and I bought each other the Flashback units for Christmas the year it came out - completely unplanned. She opened hers first, was duly grateful, and had an odd smirk. Insisted I open my present from her next - and there it was.

Finally got our old original Intellivision back a couple weeks ago (she's getting a Byte Knight-upgraded Flashback in trade,) and the rest is documented in my long winded intro post linked above. :-P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spadafermo51, on 22 Jan 2018 - 03:31 AM, said:

snapback.png

66 :?

Damn you beat me by a year!

===================================================

Was going to post that I was the second oldest until I saw this!

64 for me...

Still remember waking up one night and found my mom and dad watching the Kennedy/Nixon debates on TV - late 1960?

Jeff31

you folks and that rotten console can change minds.

errata: i posted 53 but i always was bad in arithmetics, i'm 52 (up to 8 or 9 i didn't even knew my own birthdate, well it wasn't important i'm born on 4th of advent 1966, i couldn't miss that... it snows? i must have birthday! mom do i have birthday? - no gernot it will last a week until - argh - do i have now birthday? - no gernot it's summer your sister has birthday - argh. i had birthday everyday because i didn't knew when i had birthday)

i did some statistics, me the craftsman did statistics i hate that, but i wondered what will be the results (a table i will set up at home).

to start off, the oldest and youngest

oldest:

70 what?! 73! i'm stunned (as far as i noted this proper)

youngest:

27 great, if i subtract this from my age i feel very young again, my stepson david is 26, but i guess he won't play with me on the intellivision, he feels to matured for this.

from far i can tell most are in the mid 40's, which is already interesting.

and the intermediate age is who would have suspected it?

----

some statistics about little me (which would be otherwise to read in a diff. thread)

i bought my first intellivision in 1982, i was sixteen and made my first own money as apprentice (textiletechnician).

i decided for it because it was the most sophisticated console, at least this i felt and think still today it was.

i liked the sport games most (except baseball and football as a european i have no idea what it is about, baseball seems to be something like "Hornussen", a little more sophisticated), even when i was a dedicated arcade hall gamer and spendet easy SFr. 200.- for coin-ops and flipper machines (i had a quite well income, because i was the first aprentice in this job for my employer and i had to learn a lot things autodidactible or even builded up things for the ones who followed me, except for the chemistry this was hammered in my brain at school).

the cartridges was hard to find for me, thus i ordered many from a grey-market importer, for half of the official price directly from H.K.

around 1984 i smashed my console on a wall, i played for about 30h (or even more) Bump 'n Jump and lost my last nerve.

i immediatly went next day to a retailer to buy from him the leftover "crap", which was a good decision.

unfortunately this heavy used console (an exhibition model) didn't lasted to long and despite the fixes me and my daddy made it broke i guess a year later.

i ordered my next one from a classifieds paper which you can compare to todays e-bay.

it was also a success, my stock of games grew even when i had due to that 3 star strikes 3 soccers and many doubles at all.

i went crazy shortly after and became a slave to religion, i started to be an evangelist and didn't cared about computers or gaming (devils work).

also the console had again a broken controller and i never fixed it, due to loss of interest.

my daddy kept most of my stuff, thank you wilhelm, a large collection of vinyls and the Inty.

after a while he thought i won't need it anymore and disassembled it because of the broken controller and the fact that i went crazy.

(i still hold the whole chipset of that machine).

he was a hobby electronics technician, builded many things like our first calculator, a pong and a lightgun game, the gun was made from a pellet gun (early seventies).

of course his stereo and later on another one of which my mother still holds the speakers (children coffins), that was his last big project, to sad.

to explain him a little more, he designed the PCB's himself from a to z it was all perfect made, he was such a talented man but never recognized his strengths

mother used to say "when he drawed a bicycle one could take this as layout to build one, but you draw a bicycle with two lines and everybody knows it's a bicycle"

i quitted that crazy movement and went again mentally sane (or insane?), very rapid and left again most behind me.

pause

my interests began to change, i saw the grateful dead and went totally crazy ;)

i joined a band but not as musician i made the posters for them.

i wasn't much interested in computers but had a miggy (in fact an A500 and an A2000) and a sega mkII running all for gaming purposes (not much interested, ts)

my girlfriend was a gardener and we lived a hippie life together, we had a lot of fun growing all kinds of green leafy stuff, i was responsible for this, she was 16 when we became a couple.

until it began to bore me (i guess) i went again more crazy and married another woman (a decision i made in a few months, but payed a long time for)

she had a son, my stepson David and i needed most time for job, wife and son to take care of.

it didn't worked out to well, nonetheless, Layla was born our daughter. ( i haven't seen her since 6 years, my ex don't likes to and recently i didn't even know where they live)

slowly i builded up my collection of consoles, a snes, the a4000, cd32, mostly for david & me.

a hang down - divorce

i went sad, slipped into a hole and for a year i didn't came out of this hole i simply hided from reality.

but i had a siemens notebook to hack on, and i hacked until my fingers got bloody.

the rest of machines was stored in a friends stock.

after i had a party life in zurich for two years, work, drink, smoke, party, party, party, i had a beautiful but expensive girlfriend "black heidi".

she was an american, nah no one can tell exactly what she was, her mother is from haiti, daddy from pakistan, she had citizenship of U.S.A. GB and switzerland due to the fact that she had married a swiss, a rich swiss.

"you like to f****", (both fists in tail) it took me exactly one second to answer.

to explain, when we went to a club and they didn't knew her it was like "no you cannot enter your'e to young" (born '72), she grinned (and what a grin it was) and took out her papers, the doorman smiled as well.

party, party, party, "you can imagine" (a beloved term of her).

i started to co-develop Pioneer (models and weird ideas mainly)

she went crazy (no she always was)

she liked to make men jealous, i never got, this would be the biggest fault you can make, but there was a dude who couldn't stand it, one day he punched out her teeth and broke her nose.

she stood under my window and covered her face with both hands "can you give me cover, gernot?"

"what happened?" - "i told him he's got a dick like a toothpick"

"why do you have to provocate him always?" - "because he's so stupid".

that was almost the last i've seen or heard of her.

i moved to my parents and "abused" my daddys PC which is the one i still use now.

early 2015 finally i bought my recent intellivision and subscribed to atariage.

late 2017 i ordered the LTO flash and i'm happy like 16 again.

Edited by Gernot
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...