IGNORED

WTB: Windows 98 SE PC

copper20

I can't seem to find a Windows 98 SE PC around these parts anymore. Anyone got one?

List of specs that I would like the system to have:

Intel Pentium 3

512 RAM

60-100 GB Hard Drive

3.5 Floppy Drive

DVD Drive

USB Ports

Sound Card that works with 98 SE

CPU Slowdown Control

• Like 1

Are there any XP computers where you are? If it's an earlier XP PC, it should run Windows 98SE just fine and XP computers are much easier to find. I have a Compaq Presario designed for Windows XP with 256MB of RAM, a Celeron 2.6 GHZ CPU, an 80 GB HDD, a DVD Drive and extra CD Burner, and a decent integrated video and sound card and I've got it running Windows ME just fine. I did install 98SE, but I gave up on it because I had to manually configure so much crap. ME detected nearly all my hardware right away, is much faster, and has system restore in case something goes wrong. I will switch to 98SE at some point, but for now, ME is working great. Also, my ME PC has internet and most websites work fine!

As for the specs you listed, you might wanna stick with 256MB of RAM. 512 is the maximum 98 and ME can support (I've run them on 1 GB and they became very unstable) and while Windows should run fine, some older programs will assume that the high amount of RAM is actually less RAM than the program needs.

I can't seem to find a Windows 98 SE PC around these parts anymore. Anyone got one?

List of specs that I would like the system to have:

Intel Pentium 3

512 RAM

60-100 GB Hard Drive

3.5 Floppy Drive

DVD Drive

USB Ports

Sound Card that works with 98 SE

CPU Slowdown Control

I don't have a complete system at the moment, but I have parts from that era and might be able to build one. It would be AMD though.

or if you want just the parts- I have spare RAM, probably a hard drive in that range. DVD drive. SoundBlaster cards in both ISA and PCI.

PM me if interested

• Like 1

Are there any XP computers where you are? If it's an earlier XP PC, it should run Windows 98SE just fine and XP computers are much easier to find. I have a Compaq Presario designed for Windows XP with 256MB of RAM, a Celeron 2.6 GHZ CPU, an 80 GB HDD, a DVD Drive and extra CD Burner, and a decent integrated video and sound card and I've got it running Windows ME just fine. I did install 98SE, but I gave up on it because I had to manually configure so much crap. ME detected nearly all my hardware right away, is much faster, and has system restore in case something goes wrong. I will switch to 98SE at some point, but for now, ME is working great. Also, my ME PC has internet and most websites work fine!

As for the specs you listed, you might wanna stick with 256MB of RAM. 512 is the maximum 98 and ME can support (I've run them on 1 GB and they became very unstable) and while Windows should run fine, some older programs will assume that the high amount of RAM is actually less RAM than the program needs.

I have a lot of trouble finding XP PCs - most of the thrift stores where I am don't even have ONE.

• Like 1

You are much better off building one. I have some new old stock parts if you are interested in order to get you started:

1. New full tower vintage case

2. New Intel 440BX motherboard (PII/PIII compatible)

3. Three new (and tested 10 passes with memtest) PC100 128MB memory sticks

4. Used (but in good condition) Pioneer slot loading DVD drive

5. New old stock 64MB PowerVR Kyro video card

6. 3 1/2 inch floppy drive

With all of this really all you will need is a sound card and a pentium II or III cpu. Both easily obtainable from Ebay. And at the end of the day you will have a pretty darn new computer. If interested, PM me.

• Like 1

You are much better off building one. I have some new old stock parts if you are interested in order to get you started:

1. New full tower vintage case

2. New Intel 440BX motherboard (PII/PIII compatible)

3. Three new (and tested 10 passes with memtest) PC100 128MB memory sticks

4. Used (but in good condition) Pioneer slot loading DVD drive

5. New old stock 64MB PowerVR Kyro video card

6. 3 1/2 inch floppy drive

With all of this really all you will need is a sound card and a pentium II or III cpu. Both easily obtainable from Ebay. And at the end of the day you will have a pretty darn new computer. If interested, PM me.

PM sent - I have a question on the power supply though, how much is too much for a Windows 98 PC?

• Like 1

Actually, Windows 98se supports more RAM than ME. You can run up to just a hair under 1GB or RAM in 98 (a mo-bo with shared video RAM will allow this to work neatly). ME was dumbed down (likely to make NT look more attractive). I recall all of this vividly since I was a Windows reseller from version 2.1 through XP and have a great memory of the 98, ME, and NT days (some of it I'd like to forget, but I can't).

• Like 1

Actually, Windows 98se supports more RAM than ME. You can run up to just a hair under 1GB or RAM in 98 (a mo-bo with shared video RAM will allow this to work neatly). ME was dumbed down (likely to make NT look more attractive). I recall all of this vividly since I was a Windows reseller from version 2.1 through XP and have a great memory of the 98, ME, and NT days (some of it I'd like to forget, but I can't).

Ok, but a full 1GB is too much, right?

I actally got Windows 2.1 working on my Windows XP IBM ThinkCentre once. The system has 1GB RAM, a Pentium 4 2.8 GHZ CPU, and a 40GB HDD. I got it working by accident and have never been able to do so again since. It worked perfectly, better than 3.1 on the same PC which was stuck at 640x480x16 with no sound (2.1 was running at the same, but it seemed more acceptable since I don't think it had any sounds and that was the default resolution).

Ok, but a full 1GB is too much, right?

I actally got Windows 2.1 working on my Windows XP IBM ThinkCentre once. The system has 1GB RAM, a Pentium 4 2.8 GHZ CPU, and a 40GB HDD. I got it working by accident and have never been able to do so again since. It worked perfectly, better than 3.1 on the same PC which was stuck at 640x480x16 with no sound (2.1 was running at the same, but it seemed more acceptable since I don't think it had any sounds and that was the default resolution).

Pretty amazing that you got 2.1 to run on a P4.

As for the 1GB RAM question, yes -- 1024MB is too much. Once it goes over 1000 MB, programs like Photoshop think that the RAM is back to zero again. Then it starts counting up from there. It kind of wraps around, leaving you with very little RAM to work with.

• Like 1

Pretty amazing that you got 2.1 to run on a P4.

As for the 1GB RAM question, yes -- 1024MB is too much. Once it goes over 1000 MB, programs like Photoshop think that the RAM is back to zero again. Then it starts counting up from there. It kind of wraps around, leaving you with very little RAM to work with.

ME was a mess on that PC, but the one I run it on now is perfect. I still have no idea how I got 2.1 to work.

This has been mentioned before, but an interesting slow down trick to use on CPUs fo the Pentium to P2 era is to disable the L1 and L2 cache on the CPU usually available through the BIOS. Doing this severerly cripples the CPU performance. I actually have an old K6-200 in an old DOS gaming PC and found that with the cache disabled on it, it only registers mid range 386 performance if I clock it down to like 100mhz. Leaving it at stock 200mhz and cache disabled, it was on par with a 486 33mhz if memory serves. I haven't actually fired that PC up since about 2015 now that I think about it. Likely needs the CMOS battery replaced on it again.

• Like 1