IGNORED

Dragon 32 power supply woes

TheDash

I've given up on getting a replacement psu for the Dragon. Unless anyone can give me a quick pointer right now.

Question - has anyone 'made' a power supply for this odd 8bit voltage consumer? It needs at least 2 inputs of 8.5vAC and 28(!)vAC, at 1.5a and 250ma - pinned in via a 9pin D type or 'Atari joystick' connector. I'm very close now to wiring in as many individual transformers as it takes - and maleesh the condy's**.

Unless anyone has a better idea?

** excuse the Australian Army slang.

IIRC, Dragon 32s were only available in the UK..

Have you contacted any of the UK Dragon user about a spare Power Supply or Work Arounds???

There is a Facebook Group and a forum at World of Dragon...

MarkO

• 3 months later...

IIRC, Dragon 32s were only available in the UK..

Have you contacted any of the UK Dragon user about a spare Power Supply or Work Arounds???

There is a Facebook Group and a forum at World of Dragon...

MarkO

What a pitty that nowadays some classic computer groups are using Facebook instead a forum. I hate Facebook, but I found it specially annoying for topics or hobbies like retrocomputing.

Anyway, fortunately enough there is a relatively easy way to build a Dragon32 psu detailed on a public website -> http://archive.worldofdragon.org/index.php?title=Replacement_power_supply_unit

In essence is just wiring a toroidal transformer to the proper DB9 Dragon32 PSU pinout and to 220V.

The problem is that this implies some work (create a box to acommodate the transformer + wiring) and it isn't cheap at all.

Hope having helped.

I'm in the exact same situation and I will finally go for a toroid transformer as my Dragon PSU PT 48290 is giving just 4,5VAC on both SEC I and II :(

Haven't tried yet to open the PSU, but I don't want to break it (it's sealed with some metal clips).

Edited by Quickie

• 3 weeks later...