IGNORED

WARLORDS! Legal way to get around Atari @ names!

SoundGammon

I've been a major Beatles fan for thirty years, and I gotta be honest...this is the first time I ever heard anything about Help! not having a bang in the title versus having a bang in the title. The story always was that the original title was Eight Arms to Hold You -- and in fact, on most US pressings of the "Ticket to Ride" single, it actually says on the label that it's from Eight Arms to Hold You. (They never updated it for later pressings.)

But I've never heard of a movie called just Help instead of Help!; I'd love to see a source on this.

Plus, you cannot copyright a title. You can call your movie whatever the heck you wanna call it.

It's the content within that is copyrighted. If Medieval Mayhem were to be renamed Warlords!, it'd draw attention to itself. Unwanted attention.

• Like 1

I found a few sketchy sources on the Help vs Help! but none were detailed enough to warrant a link. Quite possibly it was more about not getting two movies mixed up, than one movie maker having claims over a title that just consists of a single, common English word. As I wrote, I didn't find any such movies on IMDb except for very short films and a full length one from 1920 which would've been over 40 years old at the time.

Nevertheless, I believe legislation around all these matters has been "improved" and more specific in the past 50 years so the Beatles example really is a weak one even if it would be fully correct as described.

So, taking this out to one of its logical extensions:

If I were to rework BattleZone as Battle^Zone, would that be 100% A-OK legit and above-board?

Also, would it be pronounced, "Battle-Carat-Zone" or "Battle-to-the-power-of-Zone?"

icon_wink.gif

So, what benefit do you gain by "stealing" the name of a pre-existing game. The only thing something like that tells me is that you are too lazy to come up with a unique name, and/or wish to confuse people as to what game it actually is.

• Like 1

So, what benefit do you gain by "stealing" the name of a pre-existing game. The only thing something like that tells me is that you are too lazy to come up with a unique name, and/or wish to confuse people as to what game it actually is.

In my case, I just wanted an excuse to test that shift-6 on my keyboard still works.

• Like 2

If someone was to make a homebrew port of a pre-existing game and gave it the same name of the pre-existing game then I wouldn't be confused at all as to what the game actually is.

I've been a major Beatles fan for thirty years, and I gotta be honest...this is the first time I ever heard anything about Help! not having a bang in the title versus having a bang in the title. The story always was that the original title was Eight Arms to Hold You -- and in fact, on most US pressings of the "Ticket to Ride" single, it actually says on the label that it's from Eight Arms to Hold You. (They never updated it for later pressings.)

But I've never heard of a movie called just Help instead of Help!; I'd love to see a source on this.

Plus, you cannot copyright a title. You can call your movie whatever the heck you wanna call it.

It's the content within that is copyrighted. If Medieval Mayhem were to be renamed Warlords!, it'd draw attention to itself. Unwanted attention.

Ouch!

• Like 4

Ouch!

According to the book with the DVD of HELP!, the working title was "Beatles Two". Richard Lester and the writers wanted to call it "Help". They were informed by copyright lawyers that someone else had registered that title. Ringo offered "Eight Arms to Hold You", relating to the multi-armed statue in the script. Not much enthusiasm to write a song with that title! A phone call to the lawyers and the lawyers asked if their title have an exclamation mark in it. They replied, "If it helps, we can have one". Since the other title didn't, they were in the clear!

Edited by SoundGammon

Blink182 said their name was Blink until they found out another band had that name. I think this sort of thing is done mainly to avoid the hassle of opportunist lawsuits (by making the similarity less obvious) as opposed to avoiding a more legitimate lawsuit. Legitimate in the sense of being winnable, anyway.