IGNORED

UnoCart-2600 : a DIY SD multi-cart for the 2600

electrotrains

I'd really love to resell it here in Europe, if you're fine with that.

Hi,

At the moment, I'm making a smallish number for people in the UK and Europe, but currently demand is ahead of what I've got time to make.

I've agreed with MacRorie that he can produce them for the USA/Americas, and he is better set up to make a larger number.

Probably best you contact MacRorie, and see if he can provide you some to resell? Or send me a PM?

Robin

Whooot, how could I have missed such an awesome project so far?

I grew up with the 2600 (it was my first console) and always wanted to resell a flashcart for it as well (www.everdrive.de and www.dragonbox.de are my shops)

I'd really love to resell it here in Europe, if you're fine with that.

I am experienced in PCB and case production, so I could do that.

As far as I read, a shell doesn't exist yet, right? I could take care of that.

I could also mass produce PCBs (though it looks like these are done in the US?)

So, I'm ready to contribute and make them more widely available. I don't want to simply steal the design and reproduce it, I'd be happy buying finished PCBs, producing them myself (contributing some of the income to the main developer) and of course provide the 3D files for the case or fully produced plastic shells for everyone who already has one of the PCBs.

Would that be possible and what would you prefer? :)

Sent from my Moto Z using Tapatalk

Hello there,

I would be happy to discuss this with you via PM or email. I have already got plans for mass production. I already have a case designed and am selling it. I can sell you a number of units to resell in an EU shop if you wish for those folks that would like to save a little bit on shipping. However, I am already selling to people in Europe that ElectroTrains does not have the time to cover.

So, they are widely available. Indeed, they are currently available on eBay and through my website. So, let's chat and see what we can do! ;-)

• Like 1

Folks,

A couple of things:

1. I have changed the shipping for the 2600 UNO. IF you only want ONE 2600 CART (in a shell), shipping is $10 for US and $15 for EVERYWHERE else.

2. The easiest way to get all of the information is to visit the page I have set up: https://www.thebrewingacademy.com/2600UNO_OrderInfo.html

It should answer all of your questions, but if it does not, feel free to ask away!
-M

Hi,

Just for the avoidance of any confusion...

the small number of carts I'm producing are uncased, but I'm including a 3d printed top label with a slot for the SD card, so buyers can modify an old cart shell to house their UnoCart-2600 (as pictured above) and make it look nice.

MacRorie has designed a nice 3d printed shell with professionally produced labels for his production run, and there is no need to carve up an old shell.

Robin

Thank you! I am now only slightly smarter.

From the perspective of the VCS, a single cartridge can only contain 4k of ROM. In order to access more ROM (or add RAM to the cartridge), people started adding extra circuitry to the cartridges that allowed the software running in the system to switch between different things that can be accessed in those 4k - this are the different bankswitching schemes, and most of them were already invented in the 80s.

Nowadays, there are even more schemes that allow the VCS to access much more ROM and extra RAM than those 4k. The 3E scheme is one such scheme that allows the software running on the VCS to access up to 512k ROM and 32k RAM (in theory; the implementation for the UnoCard is the first that actually supports this on real hardware).

• Like 1

Would pokey really be required? As far as I know there are only 2 games that use it (plus several homebrew). Would still be incredible to finally have something for the 7800. Missing out on ballblazer and commando is a small price to pay.

Thank you for this project, I plan to build one for fun.

Actually, reading up a bit more on the 7800, it seems I'd need to emulate pokey for it to be a decent multi-cart.

The probably means I'd want to use an FPGA, rather than a MCU, so I'd probably base a 7800 multi-cart on my Ultimate Cart design, rather than the UnoCart.

I've already tried using foft's VHDL pokey in the Ultimate Cart, and it works very well - see:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/250996-easter-holiday-project-dual-pokeys-on-an-ultimate-cart/

But FPGA carts are a lot of work - the Ultimate Cart took over my life for several months, so I think I'll probably leave this one for someone else (though happy to help out along the way).

Robin