IGNORED

UnoCart-2600 : a DIY SD multi-cart for the 2600

electrotrains

Just received my UnoCart from MacRorie and it's great, shipped Monday and received on Friday through customs.

Pitfall II doesn't work though, it loads to the first screen but then flashes and goes black. I'm using an NTSC Light Sixer, not sure if maybe I should have specified a different firmware or if there is anything else to check.

Not a big deal if I cannot get Pitfall II working though since I have a copy of the physical game.

I tried this on my 2600 JR and got similar results. The game would run for a few seconds before it completely crashed. After some investigating I found that speeding up the random number generator resolved the issue on my console. If you have the means to update the firmware you can try this version and see if it fixes it for you as well. Please let us know if it does or not.

This version also supports 512KB 3e and 3f ROMs (has DirtyHairy's changes) and also supports the new ACE file format which enables firmware updates via SD card from this version on.

AtariCart-ACEandDPC-2018-06-30.zip

I tried this on my 2600 JR and got similar results. The game would run for a few seconds before it completely crashed. After some investigating I found that speeding up the random number generator resolved the issue on my console. If you have the means to update the firmware you can try this version and see if it fixes it for you as well. Please let us know if it does or not.

This version also supports 512KB 3e and 3f ROMs (has DirtyHairy's changes) and also supports the new ACE file format which enables firmware updates via SD card from this version on.

attachicon.gifAtariCart-ACEandDPC-2018-06-30.zip

Question: Is this a machine-specific problem then or is it a universal problem?

Also, how stable is this ACE version of the firmware? In other words, should I put it on people's carts or stick with the standard firmware unless someone requests it specifically? I'm all for people being able to update their own stuff, but don't want bad stuff to happen to them, either.

Thanks

-M

If you have the means to update the firmware you can try this version and see if it fixes it for you as well. Please let us know if it does or not.

I don't have the means to update it myself so I will be leaving that for now. Maybe I will consider getting MacRorie to update my firmware some time in the future if a significant improvement is made. But for now I am good with it so I will leave it alone.

Question: Is this a machine-specific problem then or is it a universal problem?

Assuming we're both seeing the same issue it's probably a small subset of systems which have more sporadic bus timings. I've run into similar problems when working on harmony encore drivers and it was only a few systems besides mine that had the problem.

Also, how stable is this ACE version of the firmware? In other words, should I put it on people's carts or stick with the standard firmware unless someone requests it specifically? I'm all for people being able to update their own stuff, but don't want bad stuff to happen to them, either.

Thanks

-M

It should be pretty safe. Compared to the firmware that DirtyHairy provided the only thing that changed are the 3e, 3f, DPC, and ACE schemes. I don't have a 512MB cart to test with, so you should at least test those schemes on a 512MB cart to be sure. I've include a couple ace roms for you to test with since its a new scheme.

ace-colorbars.bin

ace-movinglines.bin

FYI, ArmCustomExecutable(ACE) is a scheme I invented specifically for the UnoCart-2600 to allow developers to offload some of the processing tasks to the ARM processor in the cart. Soon I'll be releasing an example framework to reference for those who are interested in making games for the UnoCart.

• Like 1

Assuming we're both seeing the same issue it's probably a small subset of systems which have more sporadic bus timings. I've run into similar problems when working on harmony encore drivers and it was only a few systems besides mine that had the problem.

It should be pretty safe. Compared to the firmware that DirtyHairy provided the only thing that changed are the 3e, 3f, DPC, and ACE schemes. I don't have a 512MB cart to test with, so you should at least test those schemes on a 512MB cart to be sure. I've include a couple ace roms for you to test with since its a new scheme.

attachicon.giface-colorbars.bin

attachicon.giface-movinglines.bin

FYI, ArmCustomExecutable(ACE) is a scheme I invented specifically for the UnoCart-2600 to allow developers to offload some of the processing tasks to the ARM processor in the cart. Soon I'll be releasing an example framework to reference for those who are interested in making games for the UnoCart.

I just received a report that there is a fairly widespread problem with Pitfall II. Will this newest version of the firmware fix that?

Here are the results I got:

2600 - Atari Light Sixer - Sunnyvale (S/N 75655L) - Pitfall II does not work

2600 - Atari Heavy Sixer (S/N 35401F) - Pitfall II does not work

2600 - Sears Tele-Games Heavy Sixer (S/N 10091T) - Pitfall II does not work

2600 - 4 Switch - Vader (S/N AT 850282837) - Pitfall II works

7800 - S/N A1 885456395 - Pitfall II works

attachicon.gifAtariCart-ACEandDPC-2018-06-30.zip

May I get a HEX or BIN version of this? Thanks

Did you get it?

If with this FW we can self update via SD card I think I may just order one cart :grin:

I did get it. It is my understanding that this will allow you to update the firmware from the SD card. I have been assured that this is a stable build and I am going to include it on all future shipments.

• Like 1

I did get it. It is my understanding that this will allow you to update the firmware from the SD card. I have been assured that this is a stable build and I am going to include it on all future shipments.

And that means I will need to hit you up to update mine so I can update it via SD going forward.

Any chance they can get you a "test firmware" with just a minor cosmetic/version-string change to prove that it works?

[i know I am little demanding ;-) ]

Any chance they can get you a "test firmware" with just a minor cosmetic/version-string change to prove that it works?

Not sure I know what you mean. You mean a file that you would load from the menu and it says, “You’ve won!”? ;-)

I mean, my test procedure is:

1. Load & run Color Bars (ACE)

2. Load & run Moving lines (ACE)

3. Load & run to completion “Bad Apple” demo (3E)

4. Load & run Pitfall II until I score 39000 or more (yeah, I keep getting better at P2. I don’t think I played this much back in the day!)

Granted, it takes a a bit of time, but I know the carts are good when I send them out.

• Like 1

The program that erases the flash memory and writes the new firmware is not part of the firmware. It will be a separate bin file with the new firmware embedded in it. So to support future updates via SD card the current firmware only needs to be capable of running bin files with custom ARM code. That is exactly what MacRorie is testing in cases 1 and 2 above.

The updater program is still in development, but it is far enough along that I have tested it exactly as you proposed. There is some risk with updating the firmware. During the update process the cart will be in a state where the flash is erased. If anything goes wrong at that time it would require programming via the ST-LINK to get the cart functional again. So the updater will need to be thoroughly tested and also beta tested by uno cart owners that are comfortable with programming via ST-LINK before being released to everyone.

The biggest difference between this latest firmware version and the prior versions is that it supports the file format necessary to launch the updater program.

• Like 1

The program that erases the flash memory and writes the new firmware is not part of the firmware. It will be a separate bin file with the new firmware embedded in it. So to support future updates via SD card the current firmware only needs to be capable of running bin files with custom ARM code. That is exactly what MacRorie is testing in cases 1 and 2 above.

The updater program is still in development, but it is far enough along that I have tested it exactly as you proposed. There is some risk with updating the firmware. During the update process the cart will be in a state where the flash is erased. If anything goes wrong at that time it would require programming via the ST-LINK to get the cart functional again. So the updater will need to be thoroughly tested and also beta tested by uno cart owners that are comfortable with programming via ST-LINK before being released to everyone.

The biggest difference between this latest firmware version and the prior versions is that it supports the file format necessary to launch the updater program.

Thank you that is what I was getting at.

Any chance to do what Krikzz is doing and have a "recovery" FW part of the flash and not erase that chunk?

(or if you prefer split the flash in 2 parts and flip-flop the active one at each reflash in order to keep an unbricked one available)

Is there enough flash space to have 2 FW? [the recovery FW could require to hold say up and fire during cold boot to kick in]

Any chance to do what Krikzz is doing and have a "recovery" FW part of the flash and not erase that chunk?

(or if you prefer split the flash in 2 parts and flip-flop the active one at each reflash in order to keep an unbricked one available)

Is there enough flash space to have 2 FW? [the recovery FW could require to hold say up and fire during cold boot to kick in]

Well the FW is open source so anyone is welcome to add the additional robustness. There's certainly a chance that something like you described will be necessary, but we'll have to get further along with the updater development before we know if it's truly necessary or not.

The ace file format makes it possible to bundle all sorts of new drivers and schemes with a game. That should greatly reduce the need to update FW.

... got it. Thank you.

On the bright side it works perfectly on my 7800 (starpath mod), Pitfall II has sound .... brilliant, I didn't remember how good Pole Position looked for a 2600.

Minor downside I didn't win the lottery and I got the 512K flash version instead of the 1MB version, I doubt I will regret it unless the new FW really really requires the 1MB version.

The 3D printed shell needed some manual filing: there was filament residue on the part trapped between the shells, also the screws raise the plastic on the poles (the rim around the screw holes) and make it so it doesn't close completely ... again minor filing and it all sorts out.

What a nice little product .... it just works .... great job everyone involved, it really begs the question if it can be easily extended to 7800.

On a side note I think wrt to the selection screen there needs to be a bottom line with the full file name, probably requires 2 lines or a scrolling text, the font can be smaller if at all possible.