IGNORED

UnoCart-2600 : a DIY SD multi-cart for the 2600

electrotrains

Wow, Impressive work MacRorie, and electrotrains, and Dirty Hairy, and anyone else who contributed to this project. It's come a long way since Jan. 2018. Always glad to see a scene stay vibrant.

Looks like UnoCart is the new HarmonyCart. Perhaps it should now have its own dedicated subforum.

Amazing work!

Draconian

Space Rocks

Anguna

Dungeon II

Panky the Panda

Zippy

Mappy

Runs

Runs

Runs

Need Binary files

Need Binary files

Need Binary files

Need Binary files

When I say "Runs," I found a file and it loads and appears to play. If the sounds are not correct, I would not know unless it was obvious (and it wasn't to me). Also, I am going off of memory from when I tested a few days ago. Finally, these files were 1-10 years old that I found, so maybe there was a later version that I did not see and/or it went commercial and so was not legally available or download.

If you have legal files that you can share so I can test them, I am happy to do so.

Also, Stay Frosty works, Stay Frosty 2 does not.

• Like 1

That's not correct. The firmware only defines the display of the menu. So the jumper can only change that.

A PAL Encore or UnoCart can play NTSC games and vice versa. But for NTSC games displayed in correct colors you need a NTSC console, and for PAL games you a need a PAL console. The flash carts make zero difference here.

Just a clarification of what this means, as some people seem to be confused by the jumper option.

For a PAL console in a PAL region, such as where I live, you can run either the PAL or NTSC versions of a game on a PAL console fine, but the colours for NTSC will be wrong. The TV will have to be new enough to ‘auto-sense’ an NTSC signal for this to work. If you aren’t sure just try it, as you can’t break anything.

For NTSC consoles, running PAL games will often not work at all. There is no harm in trying, though.

So if you are confused by the jumper, just remove it. The NTSC menu should display OK on PAL systems (and most TVs out there) and if you are using an NTSC system it probably won’t like the PAL menu. (My NTSC console doesn’t display the PAL menu.)

I have formatted my UNO cart with two main folders ‘PAL’ and ‘NTSC’, and left the jumper off. The UNO cart ‘boots’ fine on either type of console (to the NTSC menu), then you just select the NTSC or PAL folder then the game to run. Makes everything easy.

(Another caveat is that the PAL consoles run slower, so an NTSC game will have not only have incorrect colours on a PAL console but will also run slower than intended.)

As a side note on the NTSC/PAL thing:

I have noticed that the PAL menu will display more titles on screen than the NTSC menu (at least on an NTSC console/monitor). Of course, the menu is in black and white, but the console sorts itself out once it gets to the ROM.

I have noticed that the PAL menu will display more titles on screen than the NTSC menu (at least on an NTSC console/monitor). Of course, the menu is in black and white, but the console sorts itself out once it gets to the ROM.

A lot of NTSC TVs will just barf and not display anything when a PAL format is presented. It may depend on how that menu system has been implemented, as the VCS builds the display on the fly.

Modern TVs all seem to have 'universal' chip-sets in them to allow displaying (almost) everything.

Draconian

Space Rocks

Anguna

Dungeon II

Panky the Panda

Zippy

Mappy

I can confirm, Panky the Panda runs great on the UnoCart. We've been playing it non-stop for the past few days on the Unocart. Brutally hard!

Also successfully run Anguna and Zippy.

Does anyone have a rom of Draconian that runs on the UnoCart? Mine just gives a blank screen.

I think the reason is that PAL video contains more scanlines than NTSC (576 vs. 480).

Draconian will not run as the UnoCard does not currently support the CDF scheme,.

Thanks Hairy. I was stupidly confusing it for the Boulder Dash demo that was shared a couple pages back.

I found the compatibility clue by visiting the Draconian page and reading that "Draconian is a Melody-enhanced game that takes full advantage of the CDF mode in the Melody."

I think that makes Draconian one of the very few games not yet compatible with Uno where the rom is also freely available.

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone making these for sale? I realize I'm about a year late to this post.

I've got a CC2 - but I use it almost exclusively for Atari 2600 titles. Would be nice to have one that works directly with the 2600.

Does it handle Supercharger game images?

Yes, I am making them continuously. check out https://www.thebrewingacademy.com/2600UNO_OrderInfo.html (also from me on eBay for a slightly higher price).

Yes, it handles SuperCharger images

In the early 80s/90s, I ran The Santiarium BBS/The Amiga Archives in the 916 area...

The Bates Motel BBS sounded super familiar, so I looked it up to see if it was the same one. I'm fairly certain it is.

In the early 2000s I put The Sanitarium back up as a telnet BBS on Sparc 5 for a while. It was cool at first, lots of nostalgia and most of the old crowd showed up for a while. But it is rough competing with Facebook. :)

• Like 1