IGNORED

(Noob question) Atari800 + ATR8000 and floppy.

Splatm4n

Hi,

I have an Atari 800, which works with two cartridges I have, BASIC and Musical Madness game.
I plug the BASIC cartridge in the left slot and after powering on the ATR8000 + floppy drive (and monitor) first, I power up the Atari 800. Get the "READY".

1. What do I type to access the disk?

Load D:, and other commands I've tried do not work.

2. when I type DOS it oddly takes me straight to ATARI COMPUTER - MEMO PAD.

Obviously meaning that no DOS is loaded, but how do I access or force access the ATR8000 and floppy drive.

Looking for command to access it and nothing seems to be working. Read through ATR8000 manual and dont' see it sadly but I'm sure I'm missing something.

FYI: I have MyDos v3.12 5.25" disk in floppy drive.

thoughts?

There's a quick test you can do to see if the ATR8000 has booted. From BASIC type LPRINT.

If you get READY without an error then the ATR8000's printer spooler function is running.

If you get error 138 then the Atari is not getting a response from the ATR8000.

Things you need to do with an ATR8000.

- floppy drive should have drive termination set, usually a resistor network (DIP or SIP) but sometimes via a jumper.

- drive select jumper should be set to DS0

- cable should be a straight through. There shouldn't be any wires flipped as with a PC AT's floppy cable

- floppy drive should be powered before the ATR8000 is powered. A disk must be in the drive when the ATR8000 is powered. ATR8000 will not register a disk otherwise, strangely [edit] *sometimes* not even when RESET (on the back of the ATR8000) is pressed.

- powering the ATR8000 (or pressing the ATR8000's RESET button) should cause the floppy drive to spin.

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone. I follow the ATR8000 instructions to fire it up, hit reset, etc etc. It pops on, the drive (dad was cheap, 3rd party) spins up then stops (head park seems a bit loud).

Cables are correct (used this thing when I was a kid, remember all the cabling setup).

Drive termination: we never changed it though I can open it up and check...

Powering on the ATR8000 causes floppy to spin, spins for 3 -4 seconds then a click like the drive head is parking

When I try LPRINT

I do get a "ERROR - 138"

Tried

Run "D1:Dos.sys

same thing ERROR - 130

Thanks everyone. I follow the ATR8000 instructions to fire it up, hit reset, etc etc. It pops on, the drive (dad was cheap, 3rd party) spins up then stops (head park seems a bit loud).

Cables are correct (used this thing when I was a kid, remember all the cabling setup).

Drive termination: we never changed it though I can open it up and check...

Powering on the ATR8000 causes floppy to spin, spins for 3 -4 seconds then a click like the drive head is parking

When I try LPRINT

I do get a "ERROR - 138"

Tried

Run "D1:Dos.sys

same thing ERROR - 130

Unfortunately, I don't really know how to diagnose problems. My ATR8000 has been working since I traded for it in 1983 (or 1984).

Error 138 is proof there's no communication between the Atari and the ATR8000 but it doesn't indicate what's not working.

Do you have another SIO cable to try or any other Atari peripherals to try on that particular cable?

Is the 800 generating sounds? A bad POKEY chip would keep the 800 from communicating.

Can someone toss him a 1050. I usually send them for the cost of shipping, or sometimes for whatever I put into one to fix it. It was never much. If I can get out to the flee market thrift stores again I'll keep an eye out, but it would be best to set the fellow up as soon as possible

Unfortunately, I don't really know how to diagnose problems. My ATR8000 has been working since I traded for it in 1983 (or 1984).

Error 138 is proof there's no communication between the Atari and the ATR8000 but it doesn't indicate what's not working.

Do you have another SIO cable to try or any other Atari peripherals to try on that particular cable?

Is the 800 generating sounds? A bad POKEY chip would keep the 800 from communicating.

Yes, the 800 is generating sounds. Playing "Movie Musical Madness" cartridge is all over, and keystrokes in basic produce sound (as does BASIC sound commands).

Either the ATR8000 is bad, or the drive is bad it seems. No more SIO cables but I could order one easily enough. That 1050 i posted comes with one.

that's way too high for a standard 1050 with no warranty whatsoever, I don't like the it loads up blurb followed by I can't test it. Contradicts itself...

give it a few days or a week and check the marketplace right here on AtariAge

http://atariage.com/forums/forum/6-marketplace/

Edited by _The Doctor__

Please show us a picture of the drive jumpers, the cable, and the atr 8000 board.

The doctor and I can verify you have the right settings. I used to have two of those.

Always turn on the atr 8000 first, the the atari.

Does it make any noise on the audio channel at all? a "brrrrt", or a squeal, or 'ba deep ba deep ba deep " of a normal load?

What DOS disk do you have in the drive? just curious.

Basically the drive wont spin up after initial power-on sequence:

Plug everything in, checked all manuals and pin-1 locations a few times. Seems right.

Power on drive. Then power on ATR8000 it clicks on the drive:

- spins for about 3 seconds

- clicks to a stop.

That's about it.

No major noises that seem too out of place. Same noise(s) as when you hit the reset in the back.

Dont think the ribbon cable is bad, but could be. I checked the SIO cable seems okay to me.

Yeah, ATR8000 is not communicating.

The floppy drive is probably only cycling because the Western Digital controller is getting power.

Some basic things are all I can suggest.

- Connections can get *crusty*. Re-seat [EDIT - that's "re-seat" not "reset" which I typed earlier] ICs that are in sockets (carefully). Same for jumper blocks. They seem to be in the correct positions.

- disconnect the floppy ribbon cable from the ATR8000 and retry the LPRINT test. On a good ATR8000 BASIC will return to READY immediately and without an error, even if no peripherals are connected.

- Examine the SIO connectors on the underside of the ATR8000's PCB looking for broken or bad solder joints. This is not a common problem on the ATR8000.

- Try the SIO cable in the second SIO port of the ATR8000. Not likely to help but it's there so try it.

Edited by a8isa1

Yeah, ATR8000 is not communicating.

The floppy drive is probably only cycling because the Western Digital controller is getting power.

Some basic things are all I can suggest.

- Connections can get *crusty*. Re-seat [EDIT - that's "re-seat" not "reset" which I typed earlier] ICs that are in sockets (carefully). Same for jumper blocks. They seem to be in the correct positions.

- disconnect the floppy ribbon cable from the ATR8000 and retry the LPRINT test. On a good ATR8000 BASIC will return to READY immediately and without an error, even if no peripherals are connected.

- Examine the SIO connectors on the underside of the ATR8000's PCB looking for broken or bad solder joints. This is not a common problem on the ATR8000.

- Try the SIO cable in the second SIO port of the ATR8000. Not likely to help but it's there so try it.

Hey thanks for the help, sincerely. This computer is such a great memory from when I was young. My kid (now same age I was) is going crazy over it since he just finished Ready Player One book.

1. Okay so first thing I did was take off the floppy ribbon cable from back to ATR8000. Powered up ATR 800 then Atari800. Typed LPRINT, and again got Error -138

2. Re-seated jumpers. Still the same Error -138 from "LPRINT"

3. Removed the back of the Atari800 and checked the SIO connection. Even used multimeter to measure impedance between outside pin and backside solder connection. Some scratches there of solder mask but nothing too concerning. All looks good. Re-tried LPRINT once I powered everything back on: Error-138.

4. Moved the SIO cable to 2nd (out peripheral port) and LPRINT produces the same.

5. DIP socket chips on ATR8000: trying to pull them out without a DIP puller is a pain, PCB is bending a bit too much when I try. SO I need to go buy one. I might try to find another SIO cable too, though I doubt that's what it is.

6. Using DMM, measured from Atari800 side of SIO all the way to solder connections on ATR8000 to validate cable. Everything looks good. LPRINT = Error-138 again.

7. Also inside the ATR8000: C20 is 12V, C18 & C45 are 5.0V and C48 seems to be -12.0V

lastly: when I type LPRINT (no floppy connected, ATR8000, it makes that buzzing error noise (Atari 800 does).

Summary: only thing I couldn't do was re-seat the DIP packages on the ATR8000.

post-63372-0-05304100-1517238523_thumb.jpg

You can easily remove socketed IC’s with a small flat blade jeweler’s screwdriver. Wedge one side up very gently just enough to break the tension with the socket wipes. Do the same on the other side. Chip should come right up without any bent pins if you’re careful and do it gently.

Hey thanks for the help, sincerely. This computer is such a great memory from when I was young. My kid (now same age I was) is going crazy over it since he just finished Ready Player One book.

1. Okay so first thing I did was take off the floppy ribbon cable from back to ATR8000. Powered up ATR 800 then Atari800. Typed LPRINT, and again got Error -138

2. Re-seated jumpers. Still the same Error -138 from "LPRINT"

3. Removed the back of the Atari800 and checked the SIO connection. Even used multimeter to measure impedance between outside pin and backside solder connection. Some scratches there of solder mask but nothing too concerning. All looks good. Re-tried LPRINT once I powered everything back on: Error-138.

4. Moved the SIO cable to 2nd (out peripheral port) and LPRINT produces the same.

5. DIP socket chips on ATR8000: trying to pull them out without a DIP puller is a pain, PCB is bending a bit too much when I try. SO I need to go buy one. I might try to find another SIO cable too, though I doubt that's what it is.

6. Using DMM, measured from Atari800 side of SIO all the way to solder connections on ATR8000 to validate cable. Everything looks good. LPRINT = Error-138 again.

7. Also inside the ATR8000: C20 is 12V, C18 & C45 are 5.0V and C48 seems to be -12.0V

lastly: when I type LPRINT (no floppy connected, ATR8000, it makes that buzzing error noise (Atari 800 does).

Summary: only thing I couldn't do was re-seat the DIP packages on the ATR8000.

attachicon.gifIMG_0278.JPG

I'm inept with chip pullers. For DIP EPROMS/ROMs and 40-pin chips I wedge a pocket knife (nail file blade) between the chip package and the socket. I partially open the *blade* and use the handle as a lever. This loosens one row of pins of the IC. Flip it over and loosen the other side.

For DRAMs I use a small screw driver.

Found an ideal little tool and was able to stabalize the motherboard while pulling / pushing, so woo hoo.

Bad news is: pulled and replaced every DIP package (including memory) to no avail. Still the same Error - 138 when I type LPRINT.

Note, I have BASIC cartridge in the left socket of ATARI 800 when I'm doing this.

Sounds like one of the chips on the ATR8000 is bad or... something internal to atari 800. Seems like I need a 1050 floppy drive to confirm.

Any other thoughts?

Serial cables do go bust. I've had solder joints break and contacts go bad. I would make sure you have a good cable first. I'm kind of gun shy with an ATR8000. I would check everything else before getting into the ATR. I mean I would even check to make sure someone didn't format the floppy in CP/M format which would cause trouble.

Looks like an 8" drive? If so, does it actually spin up? Only ones I have played with have constant spin off 120 VAC synchronous motor ergo the need for the Head Load signal.

Sounds like the ATR8000 is really trying to work. I mean the start up spin is checking what drives are attached. The spin after reset double checks for density and disk changes.

Worst case could be the bit banging chip for SIO got zapped with static.

Sounds like one of the chips on the ATR8000 is bad or... something internal to atari 800. Seems like I need a 1050 floppy drive to confirm.

Any other thoughts?

Where are you located? there might be someone close enough to you to help troubleshoot in person.

I'd get a 1050 and a standard 360k drive to aid in diagnosing the problem. And have someone send a couple floppies with MyDos and the ATR's RS-232 handler to check other parts of the board...