IGNORED

Contest game ideas

• 1 month later...

I need a good game idea for the contest.

I consider myself very limited in what I think I can handle programming a game. for instance, if I wanted to make a Pac Man type game I think getting the ghosts to chase you in a reasonable manner might be more than I can handle. I love atari 2600 Superman. but pretty sure I would get lost trying to track the criminal, lois, Lex, and all the bridge pieces. I have done some looking around and was hoping to find something from the early to mid 70's. (ahhh, it was a simpler time). The leading candidate so far seems to be Canyon Bomber and even then I may be out matched.

If anyone has a favorite from the pre-asteroids era that isn't already on Inty let me know and I will investigate.

I was also thinking of breaking out the Magnavox Odyssey (original not O2) and see if there was anything there that might transalate. I don't think there has been an inty game with chips or money or the need for a screen overlay. (Though, back in the day my brother and I took some plastic wrap and wrote the names of our respective "countries" on it and then stuck on the tv while we played Utopia)

• Like 3

I need a good game idea for the contest.

I consider myself very limited in what I think I can handle programming a game. for instance, if I wanted to make a Pac Man type game I think getting the ghosts to chase you in a reasonable manner might be more than I can handle. I love atari 2600 Superman. but pretty sure I would get lost trying to track the criminal, lois, Lex, and all the bridge pieces. I have done some looking around and was hoping to find something from the early to mid 70's. (ahhh, it was a simpler time). The leading candidate so far seems to be Canyon Bomber and even then I may be out matched.

If anyone has a favorite from the pre-asteroids era that isn't already on Inty let me know and I will investigate.

I was also thinking of breaking out the Magnavox Odyssey (original not O2) and see if there was anything there that might transalate. I don't think there has been an inty game with chips or money or the need for a screen overlay. (Though, back in the day my brother and I took some plastic wrap and wrote the names of our respective "countries" on it and then stuck on the tv while we played Utopia)

I second artrag's suggestion: Space Taxi. It doesn't have to be too elaborate, but I think you can pull off a single-screener with platforms, where you can navigate with a thruster and gravity.

By the way, if you need help figuring out how to get things to work, just ask! There are a lot of brilliant people here willing to help. More often than not, those things that seem so difficult are actually quite easy. For instance, the Pac-Man Ghost AI you mentioned is sooooo simple, it's almost ridiculous.

-dZ.

P.S. A lot of the physics of a game like Space Taxi are illustrated in nanochess' sample program Lunar Lander.

I played around with converting Space Taxi graphics to our more limited resolution and palette. It works surprisingly well. It would make an excellent Intellivision game :)

Yeah, I believe that the graphics in Crazy Taxi were all done in PETSCII with the built-in graphics symbols (similar to the Intellivision GROM cards), so that shouldn't be too hard.

Then the Lunar Lander example in the IntyBASIC SDK should provide guidance on how to implement the physics for thrust and gravity.

If artrag feels generous, he could provide the voice sampling routine for the spoken phrases. There's only three or four: "Hey, taxi!", "Pad xxx", "Thanks".

Come on, people! Someone make Space Taxi for the Intellivision! :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

• 2 months later...

Hm, I would categorize Parsec more like a Scramble / Super Cobra / Defender type of game, which is great on its own merits. I rather think Gyropod is a mix of 2D Gyruss and Yars' Revenge, which is one of the reasons I mentioned it (plus that Taskset made a small library of generally unique and fun C64 games, though not all of them really would be suitable to try to port).

Regarding Fort Apocalypse, I saw there recently was a MSX port of that game, blessed by the original developer as well. I'm sure some people in the Colecovision camp might be interested in reworking that port, though the people in the Intellivision camp have rather little use of a MSX version of their favorite game.