IGNORED

Todd Rogers banned from Twin Galaxies and records removed

HalHawkins

I was in second-grade in '82, and could completely tear down and build bicycles, owned a rifle (.22 WMR), roamed the town freely, both on foot and on bicycle, and drove my father's truck in the woods while helping him harvest firewood.

I was so awesome too! By age 1½ I had already received my high school diploma and was just starting out as a TV repairman apprentice!

tvrepair.jpg

• Like 4

Speaking of VCRs, I rented a VCR in 1986 and it was a big deal. We finally bought a VCR with a Thalhimers department store card in 1987 or 1988 (I'd have to look it up to be sure). I remember that the Max Headroom TV series was one of the things I recorded with it. We didn't have the cash to buy a VCR, so we used credit.

Come to find out there's ironclad evidence Billy Mitchell cheated on his million + Donkey Kong arcade records. Guess who verified his highest score that is now proven to have been done on emulator? Todd Rogers... Out of ALL the referees Billy picked, he gets Todd Rogers to verify a record now proven to be emulator driven.

So the question gets asked: Why did Billy use MAME instead of original hardware? Turns out other world class experts have long since questioned Billy records on this game, because his gameplay in the footage shown wasn't good enough to break a million on its own. He was relying on disproportionately excellent luck on the mashers point RNG. With the evidence now showing he was using MAME, it becomes clear: He was stringing save-states together in order to get enough luck factor to break a million. other red flags: He used direct feed instead of over-the-shoulder camera recording. The audio is muted. Video showing the swapping of DK board for DKJ was revealed to be bogus, because the original board show was ALSO a DKJ board. When people pointed this out on Youtube, their comments were deleted, and the video subsequently edited (people managed to save the original video for evidence).

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest the referee behind this clear attempt to deceive the public was none other than Todd Rogers. I swear this stuff writes itself!

Maybe it was the way he was portrayed in King of Kong, but Billy Mitchell always came off as kind of prudish. Like the sideways video where he stopped at the top of the ladder to get 1 million from the time bonus. Besides pretty sure MAME is ilegal to use for legit wr attempts. Does that mean all of Billy Mitchell's non-live score attempts get scrubbed too?

If they continue pulling questionable scores, where does justice end and a witch hunt begin?

Well, your right in that we can't allow paranoia to force us to question everything. But I will say this. Part of the reason TG may have been "protecting" the scores on the database that were achieved by real video game players from the original video game era is because they have more character & diversity.

Once every single record in the world is held by non loyal computer / emulator hacker types with perfect runs, using unofficial & aftermarket controllers, and on incorrect or faked cloned crap cheap copy consoles, then the records will become meaningless.

• Like 1

I was in second-grade in '82, and could completely tear down and build bicycles, owned a rifle (.22 WMR), roamed the town freely, both on foot and on bicycle, and drove my father's truck in the woods while helping him harvest firewood. I can give detailed accounts of countless events from '82, which I can remember more vividly than anything that happened last year. My long-term memory, especially from my childhood, is far above average.

However, memory isn't the issue here, nor is age; those are just red herrings. Even if I were born in the 2000s it wouldn't change any of the facts of the matter, such as the fact that someone could have easily and cheaply rented a VCR in 1982, especially someone who lived in or near Chicago, Illinois, or the fact that even low-end 19" color TVs were over $900 in today's money, and 25" color console TVs were over $1,300 in today's money.

lol You're forgetting one thing: If I had $5 in 1982($9 if you add in the movie rental), I wasn't asking for a ride to a video store 5-10 miles away... I was walking across the street to the pool hall/arcade and spending the evening there.

Those $600+ 19" portable TVs were not flying off the shelves and bringing them up is pointless. I can also find brochures from Lamborghini and Ferrari back then, doesn't mean they were COMMON. They sold a tiny ass amount just like VCRs back in the early 80s. At any given time I can find 100+ vintage TVs on my local Craigslist for free. Funny how those $600 to $1000 19" models rarely show up.

I bought one for $300 a few years later. It lasted a long time but finally wore out and I threw it away. I assume all the $600 to $1000 models wore out eventually as well.

Speedrunners might as well set up their own thing. TG is irrelevant at this point.

Ages ago I read about how the speedrunning community had issues with TG and butted heads on a semi-regular basis. My understanding is the speedrunners didn't like TG as gatekeepers and as the face of professional gaming. Like me, they saw TG as a good ol' boy network, and that was a problem because speedrunners are forming their own good ol' boy network. TG was making rules which propped up their own celebrities while hindering the speedrunner celebs.
You want specifics? I can't give them. This is just my impression of things, and may or may not be an accurate observation.
Then this mess explodes, and my impression is the speedrunning community is the primary group trying to expose TG. So, it comes off like a power play to invalidate TG in the public eye as well as to shame the TG good ol' boys. Todd Rogers was the easy target in order to throw into disrepute because nearly everyone who has seen his records questions their validity. Now they've gone after the golden boy Billy Mitchell.
That's not to say the investigation isn't revealing truth. I'm only questioning the motivation. Gaming is becoming professional, and there's money in it if you're the gatekeeper to the media. A motivation with that as a background rationale is a lot more believable than "the integrity and honesty of videogame high scores."
Or that's what my innate paranoia and half assed observation tells me, anyway.
  • Like 2

That's not to say the investigation isn't revealing truth. I'm only questioning the motivation. Gaming is becoming professional, and there's money in it if you're the gatekeeper to the media. A motivation with that as a background rationale is a lot more believable than "the integrity and honesty of videogame high scores."

Seems to be about who can make the loudest noise on the internet.

lol You're forgetting one thing: If I had $5 in 1982($9 if you add in the movie rental), I wasn't asking for a ride to a video store 5-10 miles away... I was walking across the street to the pool hall/arcade and spending the evening there.

$9 was what it cost here too, for a VCR rental and 2 movies. Starting in '88 they changed their pricing on movies though (I don't think they even still had VCR rentals by that time): $3 a night for "new releases", and $1 a night for everything else. Also, they started having a "dice day" once a week. If you rented two movies you rolled the dice to determine the price of the second (if one rental's regular price was more expensive than the other's then the dice roll applied to the cheaper of the two movies). You rolled a pair of dice, one at a time, so the second movie would cost you from 11 to 66 cents. A best case scenario was 2 movies for a total of $1.11.

I didn't start playing arcade games until '84, and the only pool table in town was at a bar, so in 1982 when I had $5 to burn I usually bought a box of 50 .22 WMR rounds, which was about $5 back then (way more expensive than .22 LR, which were about $1 for a box of 50). I remember buying a "sucker spear" at the hardware store for $5 in '82 as well:

s-l300.jpg

I was always looking to upgrade parts on my BMX back then too, but $5 wouldn't get you much, maybe an aluminum alloy seat post clamp. You could get a tube and tire for $5, but I usually patched my tubes with those kits that had a sheet of rubber, a cheese-grater-looking scraper thing on the top of the can, and cement. And my tires lasted a long time anyway because I refused to skid my tires on pavement.

I keep finding myself grabbing my head, wondering why the fuck anyone cares if these people cheated or not. Will it change your life? No!

I'd feel this way if it was just some stats on a website, but we're talking about a Guinness World Record. The gaming community has always pretended to have an interest in the validity of the results, so why is it a problem if people actually start looking for signs of cheating?

• Like 2