IGNORED

Todd Rogers banned from Twin Galaxies and records removed

HalHawkins

Oh my!!

I can't find one definition or article for "creep on." There are entries for "creep up on," but nothing for "creep on" that I can find. Does anyone have a good definition? There are articles on how to avoid creeping women out, but that's not a definition.

He used to stalk her on AIM for a little while (gives you an idea of the time period here, heh). I'm not even sure how they came in contact--I think she reached out to him in regard to a videogame-related research project she was doing in college at the time (IIRC she also got in touch with the likes of Rob Fulop, Thomas Jentzsch, and maybe a couple other retrogaming notables; she actually used to post on here eons ago). And he'd try to flirt with her a bit, which was harmless enough--albeit laughably sad for all kinds of reasons--but got a little troubling when he'd offer to visit her at her dorm and buy her stuff.

So if you've ever suspected that this guy might actually be kind of a creep IRL, you weren't too far off the mark.

• Like 1

When I first skimmed some articles on the Dragster dispute, honestly, my impression was that it seemed like a bit of a witch hunt being perpetrated by other gamers who were probably jealous of Todd's achievements.

But when you dig into it even a little bit, and really take an objective look at the evidence, it's irrefutable. The guy may have legitimate skills, but the bottom line is he has taken credit for all kinds of scores he never achieved--period.

Former Twin Galaxies chief referee (and jet-setting ladies' man) Robert Mruczek weighed in on the dispute recently in the TG forum thread, and he provided some very pertinent back story with lots of details. Of note is that there was a span of time in the early 2000s when Todd was a referee at TG, and there were no official checks or balances preventing referees from entering their own scores into the database. Apparently, Todd's number of records shot upward in a meteoric fashion during this time period, and his number of records more or less plateaued as soon as new rules were implemented to forbid referees from entering/adjudicating their own scores. What a coincidence!

It's crazy that so much freelance investigation was required to get TG to act, when it should have been blatantly obvious a long time ago that many of the purported achievements should not stand in a realm where there is supposed to be integrity. I'm only speculating, but I feel like the TG guys tend to romanticize the O.G. gamers from the 80s and their achievements, to the point where they'd rather have a questionable score from one of those players fade into legend than have a modern day objective investigation rip it down.

• Like 4

It's crazy that so much freelance investigation was required to get TG to act...

This!

And following Robert's post, the whole database is a joke. Not only Todd entered his own scores, but numerous people did. IMO, if they want to be taken seriously, they need a full score reset. And then enter scores again based on available evidence. For older records, a Polaroid may do. But newer ones have to be monitored by a referee (better two), there are just way too many ways to cheat today.

• Like 4

My big question is...if someone would intentionally fake a video game score...why on earth would it be a chintzy who-cares game like Dragster??

You kind of answered your own question. Maybe it was because it was a chintzy who-cares game. Nobody would question it because it was such a minor game. Same thing with the Barnstorming score.

Former Twin Galaxies chief referee (and jet-setting ladies' man) Robert Mruczek

Is almost as big a phoney as Todd. Ask him about his supposedly VCS Donkey Kong cart that he said was different from everyone else's. Quite the fiasco there as well. TG and Todd deserve each other. Ladies man my ass.

If Todd Rogers did cheat, how did he cheat? Back in the early 1980s, there was no such thing as a Game Genie to manipulate the code of a console game. While the tools to implement a hack to the game were available in the 1980s, it would have been very time consuming for an individual to reverse engineer the game code and would have required a great deal of specialized knowledge. Such ability would not likely be within the reach of your average 17-year old.

The method to prove a high score was to take a photograph after you finished the game and mail it into Activision. If it accepted your photo, then you got your patch or your recognition in the Activisions Newsletter. Unfortunately, photo manipulation is not something that was invented with Photoshop. There is a very famous photograph where Stalin is standing next to his security chief Yezhov which was later airbrushed to remove the latter after his execution. It did not have to be a Polaroid, it could have been taken with a 35mm camera, Activisions gave instructions for both in its Newsletter. I recognize that manipulating color photography is more difficult than B&W photography, but there does not seem to be a requirement that the photograph or the TV screen be in color. One carefully manipulated photo would be all Todd needed as his ticket in. While he claims that he demonstrated his skills to Activision's employees and at live events, no witness has come forward with an independent recollection of him re-achieving his high score and there is documentary evidence to support the re-achievement. Even David Crane cannot specifically remember Todd reproducing a 5.51 score, only that his performance was amazing. Just getting a 5.57 or 5.61 score was very impressive and who is likely to memorize some arbitrary number like 5.51.

So I believe that one manipulated photo, some razzle-dazzle performances, early notoriety, a morally-bankrupt referee buddy and an uncritical institution and you have a perfect storm of conditions which a cheater can manipulate to get recognition he does not deserve.

Edited by Great Hierophant
  • Like 2

And following Robert's post, the whole database is a joke. Not only Todd entered his own scores, but numerous people did. IMO, if they want to be taken seriously, they need a full score reset. And then enter scores again based on available evidence. For older records, a Polaroid may do. But newer ones have to be monitored by a referee (better two), there are just way too many ways to cheat today.

Actually, it'd be pretty easy to fake an old Polaroid. Polaroid cameras and films are still available. Get an old TV, and with minimal effort (and a couple of adapters), you could make the TV display anything you wanted for the photo. Put a 2600 on the floor in front of it, and presto! Proof. Just throw some old gold shag carpet in there for authenticity.

• Like 7

For the record...

Yes, there was no "game genie" type of device back in the early 80's for the 2600.

However...

Even as far back as that time period, I had personally already discovered "frying" as a technique to hear, see, and do strange things in atari games.

So surely, other people could have as well.

So what's the consensus on touching ourselves while staring lovingly at a signed photo of Todd Rogers? Do we still touch ourselves, but do it with a scowl on our faces or do we throw out his photo and find another hero? There are so many options.

• Like 2

So what's the consensus on touching ourselves while staring lovingly at a signed photo of Todd Rogers? Do we still touch ourselves, but do it with a scowl on our faces or do we throw out his photo and find another hero? There are so many options.

It can only be accepted with video proof or verification by a ref.

• Like 6

I wanted to comment on the facebook post by todd rogers. He seemed pretty earnest, like he was telling the truth. I suspect in his mind, he was. Certain things happen inside the brain when you tell a lie multiple times. At first you know you are lying, and construct a false scenario where the alledged activity took place. Upon repeatedly recalling the false event, the brain gradually replaces the false recollection with the real one. Eventually the real memory no longer exists inside the mind as it has been overwritten by the new construct. At this point in the mind of the liar, he or she will recall the false construct as actual memory, and it becomes truth. The process of replacing real memories with false constructs is known as confabulation. Some people earnestly confabulate by adding missing pieces to the story that weren't there, until the recalled event changes significantly. Traumatic memories get repressed. Liars change their story. If they get good enough, they eventually believe their own lies. So Todd may in fact remember the events as he retold them, not as he experienced them.

TL;DR: Pathological liars eventually believe their own lies.

• Like 3

We need verification that said touching took place. Please feel free to create a vid of yourself touching yourself while holding the photo (a camera tripod is recommended should you need a third hand while you perform your ceremonial duties), and upload it to an appropriate adult website so a panel of judges can authenticate it.
  • Like 4

Actually, it'd be pretty easy to fake an old Polaroid. Polaroid cameras and films are still available. Get an old TV, and with minimal effort (and a couple of adapters), you could make the TV display anything you wanted for the photo. Put a 2600 on the floor in front of it, and presto! Proof. Just throw some old gold shag carpet in there for authenticity.

True. OK, then only confirmed old Polaroids.

If Todd Rogers did cheat, how did he cheat?

Also you could have send in a photo of the wanted time while the game was still running and the dragster is close to the finish line. On the resulting picture the dragster would be a very few pixel left of the finish position (2 pixel for 5.57), but that is really hard to identify on a blurred, CRT photo.

All you need is:

- good enough skills to be at least close to the wanted time

- a friend taking the photos

- patience (or a VCR with decent freeze frame)

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 2

Is almost as big a phoney as Todd. Ask him about his supposedly VCS Donkey Kong cart that he said was different from everyone else's. Quite the fiasco there as well. TG and Todd deserve each other. Ladies man my ass.

I think the "ladies man" line is extreme sarcasm. Or do you already know that? LOL

When I originally questioned some of Todd's times back in 2000, I was told by Robert that he's Todd Rogers. He can beat us at any Activision game. That was his proof/argument.