IGNORED

Most Diabolically Challenging Atari 2600 Games

Parrothead

What are some diabolically challenging games on the Atari 2600? For me, 3-D Tic Tac Toe was mind bendingly challenging. I still can't wrap my brain around how to play this game. I wonder if this Qubic game that I just found at Goodwill was Carol Shaw's inspiration for making 3D TTT on Atari? This Qubic game pre-dated Carol's rendition by about 14 years.

post-18319-0-79478900-1517246837_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Gravitar can be pretty brutal IMO.

Space Invaders with invisible invaders and fast zig-zagging missiles is definitely for the L33Test of the L33T. Sprinkle some croutons onto that suck salad by going to the 2P versions where you alternate control mid-game!

Most of the time Adventure isn't too tough, but catch it on the wrong randomization(s), and the game is basically one big middle finger that immediately cornholes you with dragons the instant you head south from the Golden Castle. Double your pleasure by setting the Difficulty Switches to A.

• Like 1

When i get my first Atari 2600 as a kid (in 1982), my friends and i always liked playing "Decathlon" against each other. Everybody wanted to beat the times, widths and heights of the others. This was really challenging playing against each other. I remember the 400-meter races when the hands and arms hurt and when some of my friends had blisters in their hands after playing for some hours, from jiggling on the controller. :)

Sea Hunt. If you never tried it, I challenge you to score any points.

How did I forget this little doozy? Although I'm not sure if sloppy, poorly-programmed, borderline broken games should count. :P (But FWIW, I *can* score points in this game. ;))

How about Racquetball? I get what Apollo was going for with the ball shadows and such, but it's confusing to the point of unplayable. Plus I'm pretty sure the hit detection was a little whacked anyway.

Or E.T.? The standard variation of E.T. just aggravates me. No, not because of the pits (*sigh*)--it's because those FBI and Science dicks constantly kidnap me and steal my shit! Yes, I know how the zones work. Nevertheless, completing the game just once takes a miracle for me. It's much more enjoyable (IMO) on the other game variations that remove one or both of the human enemies.

• Like 1

I was going to say kaboom with the small buckets, but even with the big ones it quickly gets faster than I can handle. Entombed does this too, if you don't have the wall keys once it gets fast, its just luck if you choose the right path as the maze moves at the same speed you do. I'd also vote et cause the scientist steals your stuff if you don't give it to Elliot. Gravitar, don't remember the level, but that spiral planet I can't get by for the life of me, to thin path and the time. The UFO on cosmic ark usually does me in, I can usually steal at least one alien, but those asteroids get me.