IGNORED

What Atari Jaguar games should have come out on other consoles

AtariORdead

I see a lot of " Could Atari Jaguar do this " or " would this game have run on Jaguar " and " what would have happened if this released on Jaguar "

But what about the reverse.

Its all speculation and wishful thinking and I get some people don't like it, but after the Jag bombed, what games do you think would have been good games to port to PS1, Saturn, and N64.

When 3DO struggled, the likes of Return fire, and need for speed made the move abd did well, and need for speed become a huge franchise.

do you think there were Any Atari Jag games that had the potential to do this.

I know Rayman was originally going to be a Jaguar exclusive and it then hit PS as well and has become a big franchise, any others?

Edited by AtariORdead

With all the stories about interference from Atari and the rushed development time, I wonder if after the games were released on The jag, the developers got a bit more development time to polish some of the games up and maybe add a few features before releasing on PS1 or Saturn.

Yeah, the exclusives that did exist, for the most part, weren't really that great. Maybe Super Burnout, but then there were games like Manx TT on the Saturn.

Yeah, the exclusives that did exist, for the most part, weren't really that great. Maybe Super Burnout, but then there were games like Manx TT on the Saturn.

Battlemorph would probably be it for me. It’s a great game that would have been helped by better graphics and an expanded world.

If you also count PC platforms, the Jaguar didn't have many exclusives. Even Flip Out, Brutal Sports Football, and Mutant Penguins found their way over to DOS.

I agree, Super Burnout & AvP needed more exposure.

I've never played this one personally but from footage, Battlemorph on Jag CD would've fit in well with early PS1 titles.

While Iron Soldier 3 was on PS1, I think the first 2 games could've found an audience outside of the Jaguar.

• Like 1

Battlemorph would probably be it for me. It’s a great game that would have been helped by better graphics and an expanded world.

While it is a good Jag game, I'm not sure there was enough there to make it worthwhile on other consoles. You've got things like Star Fox 64 and then the Rogue Squadron games on the Gamecube that are somewhat similar. I seem to remember a PSX (PS1 for you youngsters) that was similar but that was 20ish years ago so my memory is fuzzy. But I will agree Battlemorph would be one of the top few that could've had success as a port, despite all the competition.

As for Travis' Missile Command 3D suggestion there was a Missile Command for the PSX. And a Breakout game. And Ultra Vortek would only be enjoyable on a system that didn't get a Mortal Kombat port.

If I had to choose one, then AvP would have been it. It has wide market appeal with the theme and it could have benefit from stronger hardware, resulting in things like a better framerate and perhaps improved sprite work.

I think Battlemorph could have been interesting on something like the PS1 as well. Potentially greater texture complexity, longer draw distances, higher framerates, and more would have made it an even more solid game than it is.

• Like 3

My eyes!?!?!?!

My eyes!?!?!?!

This is gotta be one of the first speculative thread on what-if on the Jag forum that doesn't suck donkey arses. What sucks is that I didn't come up with it, I have a pretty high self esteem so I should have been capable to get something like it ... oh well nobody's perfect.

Given we are doing the reverse port compare it seems pretty obvious what games stood out on the Jag ..... on their own merits and not because there was not much else to play.

Anyone defending Fight For Life, or Kasumi Ninja or Club Drive?

Yayyyyy it seems the fumes have been vanquished, the fog is lifting up, we can clearly see what's in front of our nose ..... AND I'm having rum :D I can't resist that sweet taste of sugar cane ... yummy ... unfortunately it's not Captain Morgan even if my avatar is a pirate .... some second hand cheap shit but it plays the part well and there's a sort of three-masts pirate-ish boat printed on the bottle.

• Like 2

Bit outside the box, but Jag CD Freelancer 2120 had 2 years work done on it on the PC version, prototype ran very slowly..

Martin Hooley at the time talked of how Atari had wanted Jaguar version beefed up to compete with PS1 and Saturn games, lots of lighting, texture mapping etc..

That was moved to Playstation.

Would of been nice to of seen at least 1 version appear.

Ditto Space Junk..started on Falcon, moved to Jaguar CD,annouced for Sega CD..

Didn't appear on anything..

Martin has since claimed titles were abandoned since it became apparent Jag CD was going to flop,they would never recoup the investment, but the internal Atari documents paint a very different picture...

• Like 1

As for the upgraded version of AVP..

Annouced for Sega Saturn and Playstation:

Alien Versus Predator Diary

by Jason Kingsley

Part 2

Cast your minds back to 1996. When in 1996? What month/season? Give the reader some kind of tangible timeframe. Football was coming home, Lara Croft was stretching her first Lycra top and the Spice Girls were telling us, at great length, what they really, really wanted. Doesn't seem that long ago, does it?

So, I suppose it would come as a great surprise to you if I said that, when we started work on AvP in late 1996, we were covering three formats: Saturn, PlayStation and the first generation of Pentium PCs. What's more, there was nothing to choose between them.

I'd caution against much mentioning of the cancelled platforms, it may cause rancour amongst the readers. PlayStation esp. could be bad. People understand dropping Saturn but people still WANT this game on PSX.

At Rebellion we didn't have too much time to think about Lara or the Spice Girls. We had managed to convince one of the world's largest entertainment corporations to trust us with some of their most famous characters and now we had to come up with the goods. Things were getting serious.

Not that serious though, as a quick look through some of original design documents confirms. For example, how serious could we have been when we suggested motion capturing Sigourney Weaver in her knickers? (For some reason, this idea seemed to disappear quite quickly.)

Or how about this for an idea: if you chose to play as the Alien, you would have to start as an egg, become a face-hugger and then inseminate another character before you could join the game? Needless to say, that idea didn't make it too far from the drawing board either. No, these aren't things we want discussed. How about talking about all the model building, the involvement of the guy who wrote the Colonial Marines Technical Manual or the use of actual movie props, instead?

Slowly but surely, though, a proper game began to emerge - and as it did it became clear that something was going to have to give on the hardware front.

Our main problem concerned the crucial decision as to whether the game should be built around sprites or polygons. Nowadays, of course, this is a non-argument, but we were still trying to develop a game for three separate hardware types and had painted ourselves into a corner by promising to match the graphics across all three. This meant that we had to base everything on the lowest common denominator, the Saturn.

The problem we encountered with Sega's ill-fated 32-bit machine was that it couldn't 'cookie cut' textures. (Cookie cutting is a process whereby you take a section of a large texture and map it onto a smaller object.) For this reason we decided to go with sprites.

I'd definitely gloss over this shady period (esp. this whole "lowest common denominator" stuff). I'd compress time a little so that these platforms were considered (and rejected) a lot earlier than they actually were. This stuff paints neither Fox nor Rebellion in a good light. I'd also cite more relevant comparisons to place the reader in the correct timeline (e.g. "we were considering sprites which seemed okay because Duke Nukem was doing very well with them" or "*and polygonal figures were a dream still 12 months distant to everyone*" or "*and round about this time a company called 3DFX started something big"). That kind of thing, more of what was happening elsewhere in games at the time.

In today's fast and furious, hardware-accelerated world, this decision seems ludicrous. However you should remember that we were still living in a pre-3dFX world. To make a comparison, in those days it was considered state-of-the-art if game characters were built of 80 to 100 polygons - in our final version of AvP the Alien Queen will use more than 2,000.

By the time that we were beginning to realise the error of our ways (the early Summer of 1997), Fox had just appointed a new producer on the product (Dave Stalker, who is still overseeing production to this day) and we decided to bite the bullet and approach him about switching our game to polygons.

By the early summer of 1997, we were beginning to come to a final realisation: sprites were not the way forward. We decided to bite the bullet and approach Fox about changing all of characters to polygonal models.

To his eternal credit, Dave agreed without hesitation...even though this meant that we would have to ditch virtually eight months of work. It also meant that we would have to wave goodbye to Sega's Saturn, but as so few people had waved hello to it in the first place, this wasn't too heart-breaking.

Thought someone might have mentioned I-War..put that on a custom 3D engine for the Playstation..decent frame rate, texture mapping etc and sort the controls out...

But then you had Assault Rigs for the Tron vibe on PS1.

I would have been up for a better I-War as well. I enjoy the game but the framerate really brings it down. And while I like the visuals as-is, it would have been cool to see it fully texture mapped. If it was on a different platform, perhaps there could have been an option for that.

• Like 2

Jeff Minter is working on Tempest 4000 now. Definitely PS4 and AtariBox possibly PC ?

Phear was going to be a Jaguar exclusive. It turned into Tetrisphere on the N64.

I wouldn't mind a nice modern PC version of Tempest 2000. Throw in Defender 2000 Whole at it, pretty please? Oh, and Battlesphere as well.

Or not ...as much as I liked those old games, I've moved on. Sorry Jaguar.

The only Jaguar exclusive that really comes to mind for me is Alien vs Predator. Many a time I have lamented that it never got ported to the 32X as Sega had originally talked about, and it's really the #1 reason that I've thought about getting a Jaguar so many times before inevitably backing out due to sticker shock.

Edited by Jin

The only Jaguar exclusive that really comes to mind for me is Alien vs Predator. Many a time I have lamented that it never got ported to the 32X as Sega had originally talked about, and it's really the #1 reason that I've thought about getting a Jaguar so many times before inevitably backing out due to sticker shock.

Your thinking of Capcom's coin op AVP..not Rebellion's Jaguar title.

That was annouced for 32X but never appeared.

• Like 1