IGNORED

What Atari Jaguar games should have come out on other consoles

AtariORdead

Just last night I was playing Baldies and thinking it really deserved a sequel. The Playstation/Saturn versions really uglified things with low-res 3D models mixed in with a mostly-sprite game, and didn't do anywhere near enough new to be considered a sequel to the Jag original. The PC version relegated the use of 3D to cinematics and looks to be the best version (I haven't played it, but I watched a few Youtube videos and am therefore an expert), but it's still just a port of the original and not a new game.

Anyway, the Jag version wasn't really a complicated game, but it was quite fun and the later levels required a good balance of priorities to succeed. There were several areas which sequels could have improved on. New inventions/traps/abilities, new classes of Baldies, new vehicles, new types of buildings, new terrain. And depending on the timing of the sequel, a fully-3D art direction.

I could see a Zool sequel doing kinda-sorta okay. Zool plays way too fast for me, and for God's sake, never map jump to the up button, but maybe these are things that could be improved in a sequel. I know the high speed is supposed to be Zool's trademark, but it was Sonic's trademark first. There were so many mascot platformers in the early 90s that Zool didn't really need anything more than his own appearance and a land made of candy, and maybe the item-collecting percentage mechanic, to be somewhat unique.

And after typing all this, I realized we're supposed to be talking about existing Jag games that should have been ported to other consoles, and not sequels. Somehow I got thinking about sequels. Sorry. But I don't know if I would have wanted any Jag games ported to other consoles. The Jag gets enough trash talk as it is. Why take away its few exclusives?

AvP on Jag was nice for the time, but don't you think the franchise is pretty well covered?

Nope, not until there is at least one Alien vs Predator game for every console. I even have the one for the original Game Boy. :lol:

Your thinking of Capcom's coin op AVP..not Rebellion's Jaguar title.

That was annouced for 32X but never appeared.

Huh, for some reason I always thought it was the Jaguar version they were talking about. In that case they could have at least finished Alien Trilogy for the 32X rather than scrapping the 32X version and just releasing it on the Saturn and PlayStation. Such is life though and at the end of the day I'm probably one of only a few dozen people in the world who still care. :P

• Like 1

One of the games I like for the 3DO that was also on the Saturn is Corpse Killer. Yes I am sure I'll get flamed for that one! But When I checked the wiki page, there was a version planned for the Atari Jaguar CD, but I imagine with the discontinuation of the Jaguar that was probably why they scrapped it. While those games were not successful on those other platforms it would have been nice to see more Jaguar CD games!

As for games that are exclusive and could have gone to other systems, I would say Brutal Sports Football, which I find to be quite fun, and then agree with the comments about Iron Soldier. There were similar style games like Iron Soldier on other systems so I guess it would have just flooded the market with more mech games had that happened. I have played Iron Soldier 3 on the Nuon and it's pretty good IMO!

BSF is also on DOS. As I mentioned earlier, if you consider PC platforms along with more readily available consoles, the Jaguar has very few exclusives today. I've actually been meaning to go down the list & check true Jag and Jag CD exclusives. It has to be under 10 commercial titles.

Now, the Jag has definite versions of Power Drive (DOS, Amiga, Genesis, SNES) and Val D ski (renamed Tommy Moe's Winter Extreme: Skiing & Snowboarding on SNES). I don't think too many people are looking to see those Jag ports elsewhere as it relates to this thread OP.

I'd also say it has the definitive version of T2K but you can get most of the experience elsewhere.

Essentially... there's only so many exclusives to see ported to begin with. My votes:

Iron Soldier
Iron Solider 2
Battlemorph
Super Burnout

AvP

Maybe World Tour Racing although it wasn'the 100% complete.

Edited by Jagosaurus

I was wrong! Looks like there are 25 exclusives between Jag and Jag CD (not double counting HS/HS U & IS2 carts & CD). This factors in counting DOS, Amiga, PC, ST ports as non-exclusives.

With roughly 61 commercial games released between the Jag & Jag CD (again, not double counting HS/HS UL & IS2), that's not a terrible ratio. Roughly 40% exclusive. Now how many of those 25 exclusives are worth playing, owning, or wishing for a port is another scenario :grin:

Edited by Jagosaurus

Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, and Myst. It sucks that people didn't get to enjoy these gems on any console besides the Jaguar.

:lol:

But seriously ... I wish Bethesda would update the official iOS versions of DOOM Classic (coded by Carmack himself) and Wolf3D Classic to 64-bit, so they could be enjoyed on modern iPhones.

Yeah, I see the irony, I can DO THE MATH®

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brutal Sports Football wasn't a console exclusive on Jaguar..

It came out on the Amiga CD32.

often over looked as CD32 didn't see a US release, did it?

Genesis version was canned:

I definitely remember seeing at trying the CD32 at CompuCentre in Canada in the 1990s.

Edit - now that I think about it, it was the CDTV, its predecessor.

Edited by DracIsBack

I would have enjoyed an enhanced AvP with better graphics, faster gameplay and a smoother frame rate. On a system like the PS2 with its dual shock controller especially. Analog control, strafing, ability to jump over acid pools and a better level design that didn't have you wandering around forever, looking for the next thing to do or something to kill.

A shame all the AvP's since were totally different games, though I did love the PC version for what it was. Will have to spend more time with AvP Extinction and Predator Concrete Jungle one of these years. lol

Hmm, was Attack of the Mutant Penguins released anywhere else? It feels like it'd be on PC or DOS, I imagine it controls better with a mouse. That being said I still enjoy it, may have done decently if ported to other systems. Or maybe better left to obscurity, hard to say.

• 2 weeks later...

While not technically an exclusive (it was also on Amiga and MS-DOS), Zool 2 could have been on other platforms. The first Zool was on SNES I think. Why not a Zool 2 on N64?

The first Zool was released for the Amiga (in OCS, AGA, and CD32 flavors), Atari ST, DOS, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, Game Gear, and Sega Master System. I have copies of the Amiga OCS, DOS, and SNES ports in my library.

The second game was released on Amiga (same versions as the first), DOS, and the Jaguar.

Problem is though is that although Zool 2 looks great on the platforms it came out on, it would've looked far too basic for the N64 and would've been met with some nasty derision for being a 16-bit game on a 64-bit platform. And IIRC the Jaguar version did get such harsh reception from some gaming magazines back in the day.

If anything, if Gremlin had N64 dev kits, they could've done a Zool 64 on the Nintendo 64 and go the whole "3D platforming" route. But they didn't, and whether that's a wise move or not remains subject to opinion.

Edited by LambdaCalculus379
  • Like 1