IGNORED

HeliCommander. Arcade like Choplifter coming soon to the Atari 8-bit

peteym5

Although I may not have worded it as such I agree with this and was thinking exactly the same, its not a dig at Pete, its just true. My other thought was that why try to do a choplifter game, its a big ask.

This one's not for me but its horses for courses..

Paul..

The background is great. The best seen yet on the Atari, as moving some single object on a flat scenery isn't a big deal. As I wrote above. The PMg doesn't fit ... particular the Chopper had to be reworked more than just a little.

This is the updated helicopter sprite looks like. I am not sure why some people are believing it is mono-colored, they must be looking at this on their cell-phone or small tablet screens. I know YouTube compression distorts the video a little, but I can still see it is multi-colored.

I can only make things taller as the player width is only 8-pixels. 1/20th of the width of the screen. A limitation of the Atari 8-bit display chips. I think if the sprites are too tall, it stop looking helicopter.

post-14332-0-84784000-1517847624.jpg

post-14332-0-26470800-1517847635.jpg

• Like 1

The background is great. The best seen yet on the Atari, as moving some single object on a flat scenery isn't a big deal. As I wrote above. The PMg doesn't fit ... particular the Chopper had to be reworked more than just a little.

Do they have a SpecSavers where you are Emkay?

The clouds look wrong, the colours are wrong and badly so, if the intention to get colour on the screen then that is fine but it still does not make the colours good.

To be honest I don't want to critique Pete's game, I myself could not write one so he has my admiration but my principals are to be honest about what I see, obviously its a personal thing but I just agreed re the post I quoted. I myself would not shell out $40 for the game but I'm sure others will and I hope Pete sells loads..

Those are the clouds you see in the summer when the golden sun reflects off them closing in on sunset, majestic. I think that's what he's going for...

The chopper looks much better

When the chopper lands a digitized Schwarzenegger voice should say 'Geht to dah Chahpah!'

Now that would would be cool.

Pick appropriate phrases and attach them to stuff

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Here is an animation of the helicopter sprite. I set up so the pixels on the mast go from light to dark to give the illusion of spinning.

I played with different color schemes, made things lighter or darker, but sometimes things do not blend well together.

post-14332-0-96401500-1517852767.gif

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 1

the question is... is background "all layers" or do you mean only the clouds?

just to name few.... as I said... I like the handpixeled ones better... but that's matter of style...

Still the problem there.

There is a difference between the background of this game and the games, you have posted. The coder has the right "feeling" for a correct depending layered scrolling, for suggesting depth.

It's only Crownland that comes close. But it's only 32 bytes and a different type of game, not needing the multi layer.

Edited by emkay

Do they have a SpecSavers where you are Emkay?

The clouds look wrong, the colours are wrong and badly so, if the intention to get colour on the screen then that is fine but it still does not make the colours good.

I take it as art. It's just that when all of the screen is that color intense painted , the chopper really should be build on gray tones.

Also put the color a bit brighter when it's shown from the side, and make it (the outline) darker, if it turns to the front, to get the shape better.

We still have to remember that he's limited to fit the cart, and if we had only got multi colour PM's as standard :)

Art is so open to interpretation, take comic book art, the big thing in the superhero field is to draw in the style of Manga whereas I prefer semi real proportions, its all personal..

Edited by Mclaneinc

I think we're a bit too harsh on Pete. I'm looking forward to this game. I have a theory that many of us AA'ers are mid 40s and living in the NorthEast USA. Terrible winters, which is why we are such grumpy pricks at this time of year.

• Like 4

You know what, I hate to say it... we've been tough on this game... but it has become light years better as he's implemented some fashion of changes as a result. It's looking good in many respects. While everyone hasn't been exactly encouraging in what they were saying across the games, it's been worked in some fashion and all are improved.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

I have a theory that many of us AA'ers are mid 40s and living in the NorthEast USA. Terrible winters, which is why we are such grumpy pricks at this time of year.

Come on, now! These two terms do not belong in same sentence. I've spent few years in North Jersey, and they really only have tropical winters (at best).

Having moved to North Montana in October, I gotta say these guys here have probably best winters of the lower 48 I had a chance to experience (much more intense than Chicago, for example and I dare to say better than MN, which I regularly check), and for the fraction of living costs in Alaska.

Windchill in the valley regularly in the -20C - 25C range, often [still very comfortable] -30, and few times in winter up to -35C - 40C. Now, that's a winter proper!

Turn in your Atari card.

https://www.atariarchives.org/APX/

Thanks for the interesting read. This American program was obviously inaccessible and very much illegal behind the iron curtain.

The options you guys had here, it's truly mindblowin' and heartbreakin' (a book like DeReAtari in '82 ? SRSLY?).

I couldn't even say at school I had an Atari...

• Like 3

Come on, now! These two terms do not belong in same sentence. I've spent few years in North Jersey, and they really only have tropical winters (at best).

Having moved to North Montana in October, I gotta say these guys here have probably best winters of the lower 48 I had a chance to experience (much more intense than Chicago, for example and I dare to say better than MN, which I regularly check), and for the fraction of living costs in Alaska.

Windchill in the valley regularly in the -20C - 25C range, often [still very comfortable] -30, and few times in winter up to -35C - 40C. Now, that's a winter proper!

Thanks for the interesting read. This American program was obviously inaccessible and very much illegal behind the iron curtain.

The options you guys had here, it's truly mindblowin' and heartbreakin' (a book like DeReAtari in '82 ? SRSLY?).

I couldn't even say at school I had an Atari...

De Re Atari

remembers me that I still got a German Copy... :)

You know what, I hate to say it... we've been tough on this game... but it has become light years better as he's implemented some fashion of changes as a result. It's looking good in many respects. While everyone hasn't been exactly encouraging in what they were saying across the games, it's been worked in some fashion and all are improved.

From roughly scanning the thread I think there's only been 2 of us that have been non plus about the game which in fairness is not bad at all, considering personal tastes that isn't a bad average. I think Pete can be very pleased with the views on the game and as he's very driven and hard working I know he's taking any non pluses and listening which is great.

I think it is up to Pete and what his vision for the game is - if these visuals fit his idea then that's fine - it's his game and you can choose to buy it or not buy it.

I would say that if he were to involve someone who could take on the responsibility for the visual design of his games they may be more appealing to potential buyers...

I do not find this game appealing based on it's visuals - but it may play great, so I will wait and see.

sTeVE