IGNORED

HSC Season 15 Round 2: Qix

Missed the deadline by a couple of hours, but proud of my (very lucky) clear. I can't fathom getting a 99%!

Welcome :thumbsup: It's tonight Weds 10pm UK so still time left. If you (anyone else who missed it) want to post a score for round 1's game Bosconian i'll add it in ;-)

Welcome icon_thumbsup.gif It's tonight Weds 10pm UK so still time left. If you (anyone else who missed it) want to post a score for round 1's game Bosconian i'll add it in icon_winking.gif

Ah, I must have misread the 14th for 13th. I will definitely try to put up a highscore for Bosconian, and thanks for warm welcome icon_smile.gif

• Like 2

Missed the deadline by a couple of hours, but proud of my (very lucky) clear. I can't fathom getting a 99%!

slx jr. also managed 98% (which seemed to be owed at least as much to sloppy collision detection as to a lack of caution).

post-4219-0-57089100-1518633692.png

• Like 2

why is the one area filled with red?

Stefan

The area in red was filled holding down the action button, so it's harder to pull because you travel slower. I believe it's worth extra points but I don't actually know.

slx jr. also managed 98% (which seemed to be owed at least as much to sloppy collision detection as to a lack of caution).

attachicon.gifQix S.png

It was entirely the same for me as well, you can see part of the Qix peaking out of my line. Incredibly lucky but didn't happen in my high score run.

The area in red was filled holding down the action button, so it's harder to pull because you travel slower. I believe it's worth extra points but I don't actually know.

It was entirely the same for me as well, you can see part of the Qix peaking out of my line. Incredibly lucky but didn't happen in my high score run.

The original Arcade Qix has two buttons which will draw fast or slow. It won't draw at all when no button is held down, i.e. you are limited to traveling around the perimeter of the yet uncolored area.

When adapting the game to the single-button joystick Atari home computers, the control logic was changed. Moving the joystick starts "fast" lines, pushing the button when leaving the perimeter will start a "slow" (red) line. Releasing the button while drawing will change the line to a "fast" (blue) line. Any area closed off with a red line will be filled red and earn double points.

The Arcade control logic is easier as you can't accidentally draw a line. The bigger Qix is a lot more dangerous, though and the fuse timer is quite short.

• Like 1

You guys! Hands up who didn't read the manual :-D You can but the Qix in half, you can plow right through him if you dare to :-o

Ok that's it! I'm fried from too many goes! Congratulations to Dope for another impressive performance (he told us before he was locked in a room with only a Qix machine for survival; well sort of) ;) I failed to get that 1m points but still had that one decent go, McKong took 3rd spot. Thanks for playing everyone, it's a good game whether you find it too slow or too qix or just about right :)

Bonus points for this round:

Red Thunder 1pt for artwork plus 1pt for roping in Mr RT :thumbsup:

slx 1pt for signing up Jr :thumbsup:

I'll update the Season 15 Current Standings tomorrow with points from the first two rounds.

QIX

final tables

1st   Dope                   2,249,730  12pts  2nd   therealbountybob         815,656  11pts  3rd   McKong                   288,133  10pts  4th   RedThunder               219,818  9pts  5th   Stefan Both              175,193  9pts  6th   graywest                 146,474  9pts  7th   Sleepy                   102,022  8pts  8th   Mangia Boy                96,700  8pts  9th   carlsson                  93,369  8pts 10th   Gury                      88,691  7pts 11th   Zylon                     86,121  7pts 12th   ballyalley                84,242  7pts 13th   Sikor                     80,899  6pts 14th   Deteacher                 79,628  6pts 15th   Gohma                     77,208  6pts 16th   slx                       73,586  5pts 17th   firestorm                 59,582  5pts 18th   jblenkle                  56,912  4pts 19th   Nikon                     54,955  4pts 20th   bluecat                   49,929  3pts 21st   slx Jr.                   47,540  3pts 22nd   RT's Dad                  42,925  2pts 23rd   roadrunner                33,664  2pts 24th   pusakat                   29,739  2pts
  • Like 2