IGNORED

What is your single most favorite TI item?

Omega-TI

That's actually a hard question for me. I really can't give a single answer.

If we're talking about stuff that has come out since TI left the market, I think either the NanoPEB or F18. Both have made the "modern" TI-99/4A very nice to use today.

If we're talking about the stuff that I got back when TI was in the game, it would either be the MBX system or the PEB itself. At the time, both were pretty revolutionary for a home computer system.

If we're talking emulation, Classic99 has been awesome for me as I can casually do "TI stuff" on my laptop. Some games work pretty well in emulation too.

• Like 1

That's actually a hard question for me. I really can't give a single answer.

If we're talking about stuff that has come out since TI left the market, I think either the NanoPEB or F18. Both have made the "modern" TI-99/4A very nice to use today.

I hear ya, it's a hard one to answer! I agree, the F18A is a totally awesome device, I probably would not have stuck with the TI if it had not existed. Those two items combined with JediMatt42's 32K card can make a great starter system for anyone getting back into the TI... and for HUNDREDS of dollars less than back in the day.

• Like 1

My XB2.7 which was flashed by Tony and sent to me directly from him.

I'll never get rid of my XB2.7S for nostalgic reasons. For whatever reason Gazoo chose me as beta tester on the cartridge, so it has a special place in my heart and collection. Gazoo also took pity on me, I had been searching for over a year to get a real time clock for my TI. I was getting absolutely nowhere when he made me an offer I could not refuse.

Tony was an excellent programmer, an all around good guy and one of the TI greats in my mind. He left us too soon and I still miss his presence here.

RIP Gazoo!

photo-29515.png?_r=1434671185

Back in 2014 I made a BLOG ENTRY about that monumental (to me) addition to my TI << HERE >>

This was my first blog entry to exceed 10K views! Gazoo would have been proud!

• Like 6

I think for me it was one of my earliest peripheral purchases. The TI Thermal Printer. It allowed me to print out my programs, print banners, print receipts and many other things. I loved that beast. It is probably not going to be in the top 10 but it was my favorite.

Edited by mdilling
  • Like 2

In the mid 80's, the greatest device was the Horizon Ram Disk for me. When the Myarc HFDC made it's debut, that took its place. Now, it is the Geneve because it gave me the ability to use MyWord with 80 column text editing and source code writing. If it had not been for the Geneve, I probably would have never spent time writing any assembly code. For me, the last greatest piece of software was the emulation of the Geneve in MESS and now MAME. Raphael did a great job in the initial work, and fortunately for us, Michael is doing a great job keeping it updated.

Beery

• Like 5

Extended Basic for me as well. I can still remember finally getting it in 1983 after many months of just having TI-Basic and how it just transformed my experience. I read the manual cover to cover and kept running that 1 line sprite program to bedazzle my Zx Spectrum owning friends. Those strong memories make it a coveted item to this day.

• Like 3

Extended Basic for me as well. I can still remember finally getting it in 1983 after many months of just having TI-Basic and how it just transformed my experience. I read the manual cover to cover and kept running that 1 line sprite program to bedazzle my Zx Spectrum owning friends. Those strong memories make it a coveted item to this day.

Oh yeah! Back in the day Extended BASIC was a must have cartridge. Besides all the programming extras it offered, if you did not have an Editor/Assembler cartridge you could still load E/A5 programs with an XB loader program. For many of the gamer only types it eliminated the 'immediate need' for an E/A module until the price came down to a decent level.

As a side note: To this day I wonder how many of the Editor/Assembler and TI invaders cartridges were cannibalized to make the then super popular 'Supercart'. Over the years I've seen numerous E/A manuals for sale WITHOUT the cartridge.

Nice mic drop Lenny! Ditto.

But I love technology so F18A by whatshisname180 because it’s a game changer and something you can’t get any other way.

Thanks Matthew! If only we can get him to make more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I asked him the other day how many orders he needed to make more and offered to order whatever that number is.

He aid he's there so SOON

Greg

• Like 2

Nice mic drop Lenny!

Funny ... I just learned what a "mic drop" is, had to google it. Never heard that term before. And after seeing the numerous gifs on the web, I admit I never saw it before either, and I still have to figure out why one would do that.

• Like 1

Somehow, I just knew you'd post a comment like this. Damn smart-ass kid. I like ALL my consoles, but my preference is indeed the brushed aluminum with the solid state software badge.

When's the next VAST meeting flyboy? Got your demo ready to go? should I bring the XBOX?

• Like 1

Going back to my roots with the TI, graduating from a 16K Timex TS1000, I had a definite professional goal in mind. First on the agenda was porting my TS Darkroom Timer program over to the TI. My dad equipped both of us with identical TI systems, scored from the huge flea markets down in Arizona back in the mid-80's. Cassette only systems to start, but lots of pre-filled cassettes, games and other carts, including EXB. Later came the PEBs and all that sorta stuff.

I'd have to say the inclusion of a speech module in the initial package made the biggest contribution to my first "real" TI program. I no longer had to have the TV screen lit up or look at it to know where I was in an 11-step developing process.

The Timex version of Timer, while short and elegant, had no sound at all. All it could do was invert/flash the screen at the end of a step, so the TV had to be constantly lit. My only workaround was to place a sheet of red acetate on the screen to turn it into a makeshift B&W safelight. No color paper or any film allowed. It crashed so often I had to keep a mechanical timer as backup and go back to old-school methods. Not much else to do besides thumb through a magazine and watch the seconds tick by.

Although I processed using light-safe drums or tanks, by using TI's speech I could go dark and expose more prints while the last batch was developing. That one "feature" freed up 20 to 30 minutes of time otherwise spent mostly clock watching, filling and draining. Boring stuff to most people, but it almost doubled my production and hence income for an evening's work!

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak
  • Like 4

I have 2 items that when I see them, I pause.

I still remember getting my own PEB when I was in middle school. On it's own, it does nothing, but it enables so much. The PEB is my favorite piece of hardware...

fbForth is my favorite piece of software. Again, because of so much potential. The more I understand it, the more I understand the 4a.

Mini-memory is kinda fun... Just knowing that I bought memory at a rate of $8-million US per gigabyte in 2017...

-M@

• Like 2