IGNORED

Game Reviews

If my memory is right, a commenter under your YouTube video claims to have finished it, no sweat. Talk about crazy​ devotion.

Yeah. I can see people having finished it, but it must have taken crazy time and effort to do so. That, or a Game Guru. Actually, I have one of those now... maybe I should give into the temptation to use it..

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ok, by popular demand (one guy, really) I'll work on more reviews. I'm currently trying to play through D (I should have 2 hours to myself eventually) and I'll review it after I complete it. Already have the scanned magazine review to complement things. Stay posted.

Edited by Montrealer
  • Like 1

​And we're back folks! Today's review review is D!

​D is a cult hit that started off as a 3DO title, and it managed to do what few other games did : be a succesul port to the other next-gen console of the era. It spawned two sequels : Enemy Zero and D 2 on the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast respectively. The sequels don't follow the story of the original, hell D 2 isn't really the same type of game, but they all feature the original's protagonist, the "digital actor" Laura.

​Fun bit of trivia : Sony short changed Warp by manufacturing way less copies of the Playstation version than originally intended, which led to a shortage and fan backlash. This prompted Warp to only release their future games on Sega platforms.

​Here's the review :

aG86d5q.png

Graphics : 10

+ The 100% rendered scenes look incredibly slick and real.

+ Laura's animation is some of the best I've seen.

Music & Sound FX : 10
+ Creepy, very effective musical score.

+ The sound is pretty bizarre and effective too.

Innovation : 8

+ We need more scary games like this.

- Myst-inspired graphic adventure. Been there, done that.

Gameplay : 8

+ Draws you in and won't let go.

- Slow, slow, sloooooow.

Replay Value : 7
+Three endings, and lots of side bits you might miss the first time.

- Not too challenging. Over way too fast

How accurate is this review? It's spot on!

For once, Game Players isn't blindly praising a game based on a demo build and some press releases. In fact, every other big-name mag of the time score D higher than GP did. The body of the review says everything there is about to say about the game: it's technologically impressive, it's creepy, it's engaging, it's slow and it's sort of easy.There.

​My experience with D certainly reflects that of Jeff Lundrigan. On the graphics side, of course the graphics and character animations have not aged well. At all. But the environment, the objects and the settings in general look good. The creepiness is still quite present even today which speaks volumes about how well this is designed. After all, D predates Resident Evil so no one had that brilliant piece of work to use as a Template.

​If I had to nitpick at one other aspect of the score, I'd say the Replay Value needs to be bumped to an 8 or 9. Really. First of all, the "negative" point there fails to prove the game lacks replay value. Quite the opposite! The fact that a game is short is never a deterrent to replaying it, rather it makes it inviting to go back in, knowing you aren't committing for dozens of hours again. The game has multiple endings for you to see and has a couple missable scenes, which should definitely prompt you to dive in again to see everything, especially since you then know your way around the castle and won't be wasting time. The ending screen litterally tells the player there are still scenes to be seen and asks that you play again. À

Also, I can see this game in the speedrun scene : you can skip getting clues, optimize your route and skip on cutscenes to reduce your overall time. All of this means the game really does offer replay value. That 7 is way too low.

​Go D!

​Bonus : EGM Preview. Difficulty "Hard"? please lol.

0ZDNOYd.jpg

• Like 1

Alright I've never owned or played this on the 3DO. I have it on the Saturn and beat it in about 1.5-2 hours or so on the first try. The graphics there have not aged well but Laura still looks somewhat hot for a digital age chick :) The gameplay was crazy slow on the Saturn so if the 3DO is about the same or worse I'd probably pass personally since I've done the Saturn one already. But as a gore and horror game fan I think this was a good starter game to the genre back when it came out. Once Resident Evil came out that changed everything for the horror genre. My personal favorite for survival horror is actually Manhunt 2, that shit was awesome!

Edited by UHATEIT
  • Like 1

Alright I've never owned or played this on the 3DO. I have it on the Saturn and beat it in about 1.5-2 hours or so on the first try. The graphics there have not aged well but Laura still looks somewhat hot for a digital age chick :) The gameplay was crazy slow on the Saturn so if the 3DO is about the same or worse I'd probably pass personally since I've done the Saturn one already. But as a gore and horror game fan I think this was a good starter game to the genre back when it came out. Once Resident Evil came out that changed everything for the horror genre. My personal favorite for survival horror is actually Manhunt 2, that shit was awesome!

It is slow. Real slow. Not that it lags or loads too much (ala Lost Eden, guh), it just moves slow. This is mostly an interactive CGI movie right? On a first playthrough, backtracking anywhere quickly becomes annoying. I don't want to spoil anything, but during the part with the QTE, I kept missing my inputs so falling down, getting back and re-starting the QTE scene got old reaaaal quick.

One thing I forgot to mention is how weak the plot is. Maybe something got lost in translation, but I doubt that's really the problem. The "reveal" at the end is sort of lame and the weird supernatural/spiritual/possessed madman type of horror doesn't pay off at all. Most puzzles are just there as a hurdle to get over and they don't tie well into the narrative either. It's all very tropey.

D was good for its time.

Edited by Montrealer

I'll agree it was probably fun for its time but as that genre moved on with games like Resident Evil being so much more immersive it just blows D out of the water. I love all the Resident Evil games as a huge fan of the series even the lame crappy ones that came out but as a fan I just had to play them all.

I remember however getting Manhunt 2 on the Wii when it came out and I was all excited because it was one of the first M for Mature games on the Wii so it was pretty awesome. Makes me want to go back and try out Manhunt the original on the PS2.

Definitely keep the reviews coming man. I am always down to hear others opinions of 3DO games!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had to use cheat codes to finish off Solar Ecclipse (on the Sega Saturn) as I was stuck towards the last couple of levels. I used cheat codes on Total Eclipse but still cannot get the whole dang thing beat. I need some sort of invincibility code as on one of the last couple of levels there are a bunch of turret guns you need to get aorund to get inside of some fortress/walls and I cannot seem to shake them enough to get past with enough life/hits left. I would love to beat that game tho it is superb!

• 1 month later...