IGNORED

5200 OE HSC Challenge 02/18 Missile Command

zylon

See, told you I wouldn't be far away, lol. Each month, I'll come up with a game or clever little variation for those with a 5200 and maybe looking for a reason to play. :) These will last an entire month, so no pressure. Suggestions for games, etc welcome. Now, without further ado...

Our OE challenge game this month is Missile Command. Play on the Practice Mode, featuring only smart bombs.

For an added challenge- Play same with no Bonus cities.

Use only real 5200 systems and Atari-made controls. Modern flashcarts/SD loaders allowed. Pics preferred, but not required, except for HSC wins and records.

Round ends when the month does. :P

Current HSC record: Bust it for a bonus point!

Missile Command -
(Practice Mode - Press 8 On Keypad)
zylon 436,780
Final scores:
169,055 sdamon +5+2=7
124,325 Hank Rearden +4+1=5
Bonus- "no bonus" scores:
114,645 zylon +3
96,270 sdamon +2
50,380 Hank Rearden +1

Missile Command.BIN

Edited by zylon

So you're tracking 2 different scores this time? Practice mode both with and without bonus cities?

Yes. You have a month to play with it. Practice mode with bonus cities is the main game and without bonus cities is an extra challenge that I added for our 1st run in this new format. :)

so, is this bonus points towards the HSC? or is this something on its own?

No. The OE is a separate place for those using original stuff to have a level playing field. In these events, all players are using the same stuff. It is also an alternate for when the regular HSC is running something a player either doesn't have, or maybe just not interested in. We have always tracked this little offshoot HSC separately, except for score records, but that doesn't rule out some collaboration down the road. Think of it as my "moderating semi-retirement", lol. ;)

A great example is Super Breakout. A player using a custom built paddle will easily outscore another who only has what Atari sold. Emulation is mostly played with digital controls, like A8 computers. A person using a modern controller will typically have a major advantage over the old analog sticks in a game like Pacman. We've run these side challenges now for 5 years with success.

Edited by zylon

Probably not and I do not have access to edit that page. The HOF thread hasn't been done either, but I will see what I can do. I can only edit my own posts in any thread. I put an "update" at the bottom. Even though it wasn't part of the round, it was still a damn good run with original equipment.

Edited by zylon

Shouldn't be too hard to get a stick running. I just finally redid my old Rev-7 stick this winter. I've got 2 and a modified "paddle" version. ;)

Even little foil bits glued to the contacts on the buttons will get it done, at least long enough to get new parts. I encourage use of real stuff because one day, it won't be there.

Edited by zylon

• 3 weeks later...

No Bonus- 114,645

I did have into the 170k range on the regular game w/bonus cities, but paused it when someone called and hit wrong button to resume. :( Oh well.

post-25215-0-34223800-1519866450_thumb.jpg

Edited by zylon