IGNORED

Atari 7800 / 2600 / SMS NES style controllers V1.2

DanthWader

I assume the screws to secure the shell together come with?

They do not. When I get a chance, I'll pick up some .5" #4 wood screws at the hardware store. Judging by the size of the hole, I think #4 will do. You need to get the tapered head, flat top, self threading phillips wood screws. Stainless, black oxide, or brass depending on aesthetics and which color you get. Remember the screw holes face opposite the label side unlike traditional cart shells. This is like Nintendo, Sega shells that do not need to peel or punch through the label to open the cart up.

As far as flash carts go, generally they require minor dremel work to cut slots for media cards, usb, or other i/o ports. This would be no different than modifying a donor repro shell. If you have a steady hand and mark your cuts to the pcb, you'll do fine.

• Like 1

As far as flash carts go, generally they require minor dremel work to cut slots for media cards, usb, or other i/o ports. This would be no different than modifying a donor repro shell.

I understand that, but since this exists as a 3d printable file, then it can also be modified and multiple files kept on hand. The Mateos cart especially requires more than just a few slots to be cut out. You have to cut out the entire top half of the front part of the cartridge shell to accomodate the extra card. That is why I resoldered mine and made it flatter so it would bit into a cart shell with only the top being opened up for the rest of the PCB to poke through. I thought that if cart shells could be ordered that already had these cut out sections in place and printed this way, they would be more professional looking than someone like myself taking a dremel to it. They would technically take less filament to print as well since only 3/4 of the cart needs to be printed in this case.

• Like 1

I understand that, but since this exists as a 3d printable file, then it can also be modified and multiple files kept on hand. The Mateos cart especially requires more than just a few slots to be cut out. You have to cut out the entire top half of the front part of the cartridge shell to accomodate the extra card. That is why I resoldered mine and made it flatter so it would bit into a cart shell with only the top being opened up for the rest of the PCB to poke through. I thought that if cart shells could be ordered that already had these cut out sections in place and printed this way, they would be more professional looking than someone like myself taking a dremel to it. They would technically take less filament to print as well since only 3/4 of the cart needs to be printed in this case.

Well for the Harmony, it's one rectangular notch for the sd card, and another for the mini usb port. Same thing with the everdrives. Two notches at most.

I have a 7800 and games. I would have to punch a hole in the label to remove the pcb. It looks like they would work, and this design might be compatible with injection molding with minor tweaks. Three distinct pieces, and they all look like they could release from a two part mold easily. There's also no hole under the label like with production 7800 carts.

I'll try and find a 7800 game pcb to test with.

EDIT: Cart arrived. Video uploading! 8)

(should be live in about an hour and thirty minutes or so)

Thanks for the awesome review!! I'm glad these work with the 7800 PCB! Thanks for sacrificing your pole position from proper research. I owe ya one.

What will be the price point for the controllers?

I'm going to try and put the kits up this weekend at $19.99 a kit. Kits will have the PCB, black controller shell and buttons (start and select is optional), DB9 cable, 620ohm resistors and the 3D printer Atari label. I also have labels for the SMS kits. These are compatible with anything that can use a 2600 atari joystick, and 2 button function for 7800. All other compatibility will be pure luck

• Like 1

I'm going to try and put the kits up this weekend at $19.99 a kit. Kits will have the PCB, black controller shell and buttons (start and select is optional), DB9 cable, 620ohm resistors and the 3D printer Atari label. I also have labels for the SMS kits. These are compatible with anything that can use a 2600 atari joystick, and 2 button function for 7800. All other compatibility will be pure luck

What needs to be supplied to build one then? I was assuming they were already put together.

A slightly weird question, but how difficult would it be to 3D print alternate Atari controller labels with the Button 1 area filled in with the background texture so you'd just have a single button button hole where Button 2 is for dedicated Atari 2600 and Atari 8-bit computer users who only need one button? It could be a neat option that might boost sales even more on the next batch. :)

Edited by Jin

Thanks for the awesome review!! I'm glad these work with the 7800 PCB! Thanks for sacrificing your pole position from proper research. I owe ya one.

Nah, I dodn't sacrifice anything. The pp2 cart has a hole in the label but so what? It took one for the team! ;-)

A slightly weird question, but how difficult would it be to 3D print alternate Atari controller labels with the Button 1 area filled in with the background texture so you'd just have a single button button hole where Button 2 is for dedicated Atari 2600 and Atari 8-bit computer users who only need one button? It could be a neat option that might boost sales even more on the next batch. :)

Getting a bit ocd about single button controllers again, are we? :P

AFAIK, the controller casing is injection molded and comes from China (for making clone controllers, ie retrobit et al) but nothing stopping you from filling in one of the holes in black milliput. Sand it down and polish after it hardens, and it's like the hole was never there. You'll still need a custom overlay though... :P

• Like 1

Nah, I dodn't sacrifice anything. The pp2 cart has a hole in the label but so what? It took one for the team! ;-)

AFAIK, the controller casing is injection molded and comes from China (for making clone controllers, ie retrobit et al) but nothing stopping you from filling in one of the holes in black milliput. Sand it down and polish after it hardens, and it's like the hole was never there. You'll still need a custom overlay though... :P

Hey, some people don't like having superfluous buttons. Nothing wrong with that. Your solution sounds a bit overcomplicated and sloppy looking though. There'd be no need to fill in the hole in the controller shell if there was the option to get the controller overlay with just the B button hole cut out. Then at worst you'd just have to sand down the square protrusion for the A button on the controller shell for the overlay to fit cleanly on top. :)

• Like 1

What needs to be supplied to build one then? I was assuming they were already put together.

I order all the parts in bulk direct from china and hand assemble each of these controllers. I designed the PCB and had it printed to fit a NES controller. I just order black shells and shave off the start and select buttons....

...Which brings me here... This would be a very simple idea, but do take into account this is the 7800 controller schematic so both buttons function as one on the 2600. At the same time I know exactly where you are coming from. I think this is a great idea and shaving off the A or B button along with the start and select buttons wouldn't be a difficult task, as for the model I made for the 3D printed "labels" filling in any holes in cad would be a breeze and not a bad option but limits future use with a 7800.

Im sort of with Jin with the single button on 2600, If thats all you have the second button is pointless. I converted a SNES controller to a 7800 controller with ALL buttons functioning as fire1 or fire2. but so many buttons were ridiculous and didn't improve the quality of gameplay at least for me.

Thank you again for that "research"!!

The AtariAge community is one of the greatest, I couldn't have done this without ya'll!

BTW, I just got a STACK of PCBs in i'll try and make about 10-15 controllers this weekend and put up kits for the DIYers out there. I have to 3D print the labels and Im waiting for a new thermistor to come in for my printer...

• Like 1

I order all the parts in bulk direct from china and hand assemble each of these controllers. I designed the PCB and had it printed to fit a NES controller. I just order black shells and shave off the start and select buttons....

hehehe the start/select buttons are quite useless on my converted 7800 nes pad as well.

...Which brings me here... This would be a very simple idea, but do take into account this is the 7800 controller schematic so both buttons function as one on the 2600. At the same time I know exactly where you are coming from. I think this is a great idea and shaving off the A or B button along with the start and select buttons wouldn't be a difficult task, as for the model I made for the 3D printed "labels" filling in any holes in cad would be a breeze and not a bad option but limits future use with a 7800.

Im sort of with Jin with the single button on 2600, If thats all you have the second button is pointless. I converted a SNES controller to a 7800 controller with ALL buttons functioning as fire1 or fire2. but so many buttons were ridiculous and didn't improve the quality of gameplay at least for me.

believe me, I know the lengths he went to to commission a unique acrylic overlay for a fight pad with 1 *one* button hole. It's a beast and plays like a dream.

Thank you again for that "research"!!

The AtariAge community is one of the greatest, I couldn't have done this without ya'll!

You're welcome! ;-)

BTW, I just got a STACK of PCBs in i'll try and make about 10-15 controllers this weekend and put up kits for the DIYers out there. I have to 3D print the labels and Im waiting for a new thermistor to come in for my printer...

They are gorgeous! Any way those of us with previously modded nes controllers can get just the overlays? Pretty plz? :grin:

They are gorgeous! Any way those of us with previously modded nes controllers can get just the overlays? Pretty plz? :grin:

I actually do a reverse print...all black, silver logo which goes great with the NES grey/beige. I think Crossbow has one I printed (I only printed one).

• Like 1

Oh, I'm thinking I must have misunderstood you when you refer to them as a "kit". I was thinking that a purchase of this controller is just parts ("kit") that I have to put together or am I buying an assembled controller??? I'm confused..........

I actually do a reverse print...all black, silver logo which goes great with the NES grey/beige. I think Crossbow has one I printed (I only printed one).

Could you make me one? Pretty please!? :grin:

I'm honestly surprised with the popularity of nes controller overlays, someone didn't just make an Atari themed one. The 7800 conversion is a fairly common mod.

Oh, I'm thinking I must have misunderstood you when you refer to them as a "kit". I was thinking that a purchase of this controller is just parts ("kit") that I have to put together or am I buying an assembled controller??? I'm confused..........

You are correct, the kits are for the DIYers that want to build this controller from "scratch". In the kit it will be un-assembled with all the parts needed to build 1 controller. I will sell completed controllers like in the past. I just wanted to make this offering for the frugal or DIY minded individuals. The completed fully-assembled controllers will cost more then the kits by a 7-8 dollar margin.

Though I don't know if it was asked, but I assume your kits actually fit in real NES controller shells as well? I was showing off one of yours and Osgeld's older controllers I have to a local shop here in town and they loved them, but really felt that they needed to be in actual NES shells. I've no idea why, I assume the feel of it was different. Anyway, I'm going to point them to your site for the Kits because I've a feeling this shop has a small stock pile of NES controllers they have taking up space and would likely be interested in converting them for their shop.

• Like 1

Yes...yes I do! I haven't attached it yet as I really don't want to get the 2 in one epoxy for such a small job. Wondering if my contact cement will do the job, but it might eat the plastic so I have to test that first. But yes the black background with silver Fuji is very nice and I think you should add that as an option for those purchasing the kits. In fact, it would be awesome to just provide one of each. I plan to have the silver with black fuji on one controller and the black with silver fuji on the other. Slick looking!

Though I don't know if it was asked, but I assume your kits actually fit in real NES controller shells as well? I was showing off one of yours and Osgeld's older controllers I have to a local shop here in town and they loved them, but really felt that they needed to be in actual NES shells. I've no idea why, I assume the feel of it was different. Anyway, I'm going to point them to your site for the Kits because I've a feeling this shop has a small stock pile of NES controllers they have taking up space and would likely be interested in converting them for their shop.

I was by good old T-town this week, fixin 'puters. I designed these pcbs based on the NES controller PCB, I was originally going to use these to "mod" old NES controllers. I painstakingly measured the board and ran the circuit on it. Every thing in the kit is compatible with an original NES controller. You could use the parts in the kit to mod an original NES contoller. But wwwhhhhhyyyy these black shells are awesome! :grin:

Yes...yes I do! I haven't attached it yet as I really don't want to get the 2 in one epoxy for such a small job. Wondering if my contact cement will do the job, but it might eat the plastic so I have to test that first. But yes the black background with silver Fuji is very nice and I think you should add that as an option for those purchasing the kits. In fact, it would be awesome to just provide one of each. I plan to have the silver with black fuji on one controller and the black with silver fuji on the other. Slick looking!

I just use plastics super glue from the home de pot. its a little 2-part kit, a primer and then the glue. its not messy, the glue has a low viscosity so it doesn't 'raise' the label. But it sets QUICK and i mean it, literally like 2 seconds. so i'd practice laying it on the controller a few times before you glue it. I also put the glue on the shell face first then apply the label. If you decide to put the silver label on the black controller you have you'll have to pull the start and select button out and shave the edge off the shell face on the start and select holes.

Edited by DanthWader

Dang, missed out. Gotta get on this forum more often!

Wow you guys! This is amazing, I'm 2-3 controllers away from being SOLD OUT! Thank you so much!!

Your controllers went in the mail today. Also for everyone who ordered the controller couplings they will be in the mail tomorrow! I basically have unlimited of these, so they won't sell out.

I am already working on the controller batch #3, but china sort of closes down during this time of year for holiday. It will be the beginning of March before the parts come in.

Thanks again!

Could you make me one? Pretty please!? :grin:

I'm honestly surprised with the popularity of nes controller overlays, someone didn't just make an Atari themed one. The 7800 conversion is a fairly common mod.

Here is what both look like together...

post-6-0-23076800-1522867401_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Here is what both look like together...

attachicon.gifDanth_7800_Controllers.jpg

The black looks okayish, it actually looks really good on original NES shells. But i'm biased, I can't get past how good this silver filament prints.

So, I love 3D printing these labels. They work/look great but I am doing research into stamped aluminum labels like the 7800 console/controllers/xm. not sure of cost yet just researching suppliers.

The black looks okayish, it actually looks really good on original NES shells. But i'm biased, I can't get past how good this silver filament prints.

To be fair, that pic isn't the best as that is actually a crop from a screen cap off my latest YT video. I do like the silver filament as well, but I think there is too much of it honestly. The 7800 and 5200 both featured the metal strips, but it didn't take up Most of the looks of the console. I feel that the large silver face on the controller, doesn't match up as well with the rest of the look of the console, whereas the black with silver logos, fits more in line with that look.

the best would be if you could recreate the silver strip with rainbow colors at about a cm in width going along the top and about a half cm to cm from the top of the label? Then below that, you would have just the words Atari in the black middle space. the fuji logo could be encorporated into the strip somehow.

• Like 1