IGNORED

Atari 7800 / 2600 / SMS NES style controllers V1.2

DanthWader

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Since everyone keeps recommending these controllers I figured I would post here for advice. Months ago I assembled 2 controllers from parts that DanthWader sent me. When I use them both controllers seem to be too "plastic scratchy" when I move the dpad and not completely "rubbery smooth" as I would have expected. (best I can describe what I experience when using my DanthWader nes-type controllers). It feels like plastic parts are rubbing together. Since everyone loves these controllers I guess my experience must be the outlier and maybe I messed something up when I assembled mine as everyone continues to recommend them. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? I can try playing with the controller again tonight and see if I can better describe what I am feeling when using them. I do remember having to squeeze the shells together when I screwed the whole thing shut so maybe it is operator error.

Since everyone keeps recommending these controllers I figured I would post here for advice. Months ago I assembled 2 controllers from parts that DanthWader sent me. When I use them both controllers seem to be too "plastic scratchy" when I move the dpad and not completely "rubbery smooth" as I would have expected. (best I can describe what I experience when using my DanthWader nes-type controllers). It feels like plastic parts are rubbing together. Since everyone loves these controllers I guess my experience must be the outlier and maybe I messed something up when I assembled mine as everyone continues to recommend them. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? I can try playing with the controller again tonight and see if I can better describe what I am feeling when using them. I do remember having to squeeze the shells together when I screwed the whole thing shut so maybe it is operator error.

Can't say I quite understand what you are describing? The only part of the put together process that might give you some fight is the controller cord if you don't quite have it in the grooves right. Otherwise they could go together very easily and not require much if any force at all to on the shells when assembling. My only issues with these controllers is that the carbon contacts I don't think are that great as frequently a button press won't quite register 100%. Has caused me more than a few missed jumps in DonkeyKong XM...

Also the guts can be placed into actual legit NES controller shells and parts and there is a difference in the feel of them doing that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/1/2018 at 9:03 PM, ianoid said:

Super cool. My problem with 3D printed stuff is the texture of them. I hope we can get more control over that soon.

I'd be interested in a joystick holder for two original 2600 CX-40 joysticks. I'm tempted by that 7800 stick holder.

Sorry for a response to an old post, but there are ways around the texture, in fact most of the things I've printed don't have the massive texture I've seen on most of the things I've received that are 3D printed.  It all depends on how the model is designed, which plastics you use, and how you print them. 

I printed up some of those eGPU cases for the Nova VME cards, and they look fantastic if you leave the printbed facing stuff on the side you won't look at.  But that's not always possible (or economical, since you have to print large supports that contain more plastic than the actual finished product will...)  But it IS possible to make them really nice and smooth looking!  Thought of doing this for my SDMax, but the plans aren't released for them, so I may make my own that matches the style of my 130XE...

The controllers that @DanthWader was putting together only used 3d printing for the overlays. But he printed them so that the flat side on the platter is what actually faces up and it has a smooth feel to it. At least the 2 I bought from him do, along with the 1 or 2 extra 3d printed overlays he sent me.

But the rubber contacts aren't that great on them as one of my controllers doesn't really register left unless I really give it some pressure now. I need to buy an old NES controller for cheap and just swap out the rubber contacts and see if that clears it up. Aside from that I really like the feel of these controllers and still use them when I need to plug something in really quick for a quick game or testing.