IGNORED

Is anyone selling the USB stick adapters for 3DO currently?

Is anyone selling these still?

I'd eventually like to move away from disc based media, as it's unreliable and fragile as hell.

I seen these in the past for 3DO, Saturn, and PS1, but not much on them lately. Any news on the USB adaptor that replaces the 3DO laser and you can load rom images from?

Thanks.

I was looking into that site last week as well. Since I seem to have some laser issues and the 3DO is getting quite delicate on me I would love to have a USB stick to put everything on and then load from there. Would save the hassle of the discs themselves. And I agree with the comment about increased storage as I would love to have more as well! I used a game guru to delete a file the other day I could not tell what it was and then after deleting it was like SHIT that was a save for a game I was 6 levels in on. I just didn't recognize the code name it was under.

On that page the system was crazy overpriced for sure. I wish i had tech knowledge to do this to my Saturn, Dreamcast, 3DO, and then the Jaguar so i wouldn't have to deal with the reading issues.

• 4 weeks later...

It's too bad that all the work on such devices is so spread apart and adhoc. I'm guessing there just isn't enough of a market to warrant to have a company which focuses on ODEs and RGB & HDMI adapters. And so many of the devices that are available are closed source. Anything happens with these individuals and all that knowledge is lost.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to get one of these as well, but they are super expensive. Unfortunately, the install requires very small and intricate soldering skills. I can do some solder work myself, but the 3DO USB mod is beyond my skill set. I think that's part of what makes the pre-installed systems so expensive. If anyone finds a cheaper source for this, please update.

That link isn't working for me for some reason. Were these the price for the units themselves and you install them? I ordered a Goldstar 3DO last night which apparently works but knowing my luck it will have issues, so doing a USB mod on one would be pretty cool. I have some local friends with good soldering skills if it's just the unit that is needed. if I am reading the posts likely they aren't even available anywhere anymore anyways.

Here is the price list for the usb host for 3DO.

http://3do-renovation.ru/How_to_buy.htm

Price is for usb host only, not installation. The Goldstar is $145 so not too bad. The FZ-1 is $245 :-(

Mnemo is the only person who has so far developed a usb host for 3DO. He has done extensive research into the 3DO ARM assembly so it's not an easy task to replicate.

The FZ-1, Sanyo and Goldstar are simple plug and play (no soldering required) but the FZ-10 requires some soldering. Not sure how hard it would be as I haven't got the install docs.

The usb host also has some sort of NVRAM save option so you can probably manage your save games through it as well.

• Like 1

Yeah I heard only the FZ-10 is a difficult install. I just recently ordered an FZ-10 and since I have the skills to change lasers I am ok with just using CD-Rs.

I do own a GDEMU and RHEA and I really loves those on my Dreamcast and Saturn. It's amazing how quiet the systems are without the disc drive making noise. I been considering getting a PSIO but my PS1 reads CD-Rs so easily it seems pointless at this time.

I was wondering about Saturn ODE, is the Rhea any good? How expensive is it?

Lasers for the Panasonic 3DO are hard to find as the OEM SF92.5 have the incorrect pinout. U can harvest lasers from a cr-563 but they will be old as well. It's best to check the stock laser calibration with an oscilloscope or at least a multimeter for the RF signal. Here's the service manual for FZ-10 https://www.electronica-pt.com/esquema/func-download/30230/chk,7f07cedeaa322f44da4a16a0e35516ae/no_html,1/the signal should be around 450 mV.

I have the GDEmu as well and I love it. It really helped to add the GDMenu file on the SD card to give you the "Everdrive" style menu at startup. My only issue has been an occasional game freeze, but it's rare. I was lucky enough to buy mine used at a discounted rate from a friend.

• 8 months later...

Hi all, was going to open a new thread but found this one, which is not too old still.

The developer Mnemo announced on his website that he got more stock for all his products, as of Dec 7, 2018.

http://3do-renovation.ru/How_to_buy.htm

Has anyone placed an order yet?

I filled out a form but I guess it sends me to a waiting list. Not sure how the process works.

• 2 weeks later...

Correct. The Goldstar / Sanyo version and FZ-1 require *no* soldering. The FZ-10 does. It's mentioned on the website.

I bought a Sanyo model from Japan and the Goldstar/Sanyo ODE. Was cheaper than buying the ODE for my FZ-1 and ended up with 2 systems. The Goldstar / Sanyo's are easier to RGB and audio hack as well.

• Like 2

Ok, I ended up ordering the USB mod from Mnemo. He already replied, earlier this week, notifying that he had shipped the device, which made me happy.

I have the Goldstar version and apparently it is plug and play. Kind of. I will really see when I get it.

Like someone said above, yeah, it is really expensive. Specially when you do the conversion to CAD$... my god. Anyway I paid and I will just enjoy this unique piece of device.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I kind of want one of these for my FZ-1 but, $165 is a ltitle too much. If it was around $75-100, I might be all over it.

Was thinking the internal... using a small USB extender for interrnal mount, cutting out a hole IN THE BACK OF THE UNIT and plug a small USB in the back so I can plug the USB drive in the back. No one would know the difference. Putting it in front would make the front cover ugly....

• Like 1

I received my tax refund today, so I decided to finally invest in one of these. I already have a hard drive prepped for when it arrives. :)

Was thinking the internal... using a small USB extender for interrnal mount, cutting out a hole IN THE BACK OF THE UNIT and plug a small USB in the back so I can plug the USB drive in the back. No one would know the difference. Putting it in front would make the front cover ugly....

The front panel is connected to the CD drive, though, isn't it? That means it would be missing when the CD drive is replaced with the USB host, unless you removed it from the CD drive and used something else to keep it in place.