IGNORED

Space Mission for Arcadia 2001 High Score Club: Season 2, Round 3

ballyalley

Season 2, Round 3 of the Arcadia 2001/MPT-03 High Score Club ended on Sunday, February 18, 2017 at 10pm MST. Four people played Space Mission in this round. This is a very low-scoring game, so the following score, which look like we're all terrible at the game, are actually quite good:

Space Mission Scores

5 - James Jacobs - 322 points in 1:18 seconds

4 - Bally Alley - 253 points in 37 seconds

3 - Christopher T. - 233 points in 37 seconds

2 - Iwantgames:) - 262 points in 4x seconds (time left: 1:1x)

Space Mission Completion Times

5 - James Jacobs - 239 points in 21 seconds

4 - Christopher T. - 231 points in 29 seconds

3 - Bally Alley - 253 points in 37 seconds

2 - Iwantgames:) - 262 points in 4x seconds (time left: 1:1x)

Two people earned bonus points. Here are this round's final standing:

Space Mission Scores (Final Table)

James Jacobs - 5 + 5 + 0 + 1 + 0 = 11 points -@-

BallyAlley - 4 + 3 + 0 + 0 + 0 = 7 points ---

Christopher T. - 3 + 4 + 0 + 0 + 0 = 7 points ---

Iwantgames:) - 2 + 2 + 0 + 0 + 1 = 5 points --#

! - Video Review - (2 Points) [No points awarded]

@ - Documenting Bugs - (1 Point)

# - Backstory - (1 Point)

This round's overall winner is James Jacobs. Please check your final score. ;-)

It was cool to see a "homebrew" Space Mission backstory; thanks for writing that background! Even a very short story makes a nice addition to the game.

I'm not happy with how points were awarded for time and score this round. The scoring system is the best thing that I could come up with for this game.

Final Thoughts on Space Mission

This game is too short, which is a shame, as there seems to be so much lost potential here!

Next Round's Game: Missile War

The main game for Round 4 of Arcadia 2001/MPT-03 High Score Club is Missile War, a game similar to Missile Command. Due to events beyond my control, the next round is delayed for about a month. I'll try to start round 4 up at the end of March.

Thanks for playing in round 3 and please stay tuned here for the announcement of round 4. The HSC is not dead, but it must be put on a back burner for now.

Adam

• 1 month later...

Is it just me, or does that artwork bear more than a passing resemblance to [uFO on the Odyssey 2?]

Yes, they do look similar, but only in passing. Cockpit views seem to have been around forever.

I do love Odyssey 2 boxes. They have the best artwork on nearly any console (past to present). There is something almost magical about it. Perhaps there really is some magic in there-- thanks Odyssey 2 Wizard!

Adam

Yes, they do look similar, but only in passing. Cockpit views seem to have been around forever.

Ehhhhh...definitely more than passing. ;)

It's got the same pilot's hands in the same positions (and the same circles and squares running down the panels around and between them), the three levers to the left (although the handles are different), the grid of blinky lights and radar screen (cut off by right border) to the right, the same window struts (except the Arcadia version adds two support struts and removes the central display screen, the same streaking comet or laser fire things in essentially the same positions, even the general shape of the UFO is the same (sort of a bell-looking thing).

No, it's clear. In addition to Star Wars, the Arcadia artist(s?) was also not above flat-out ripping off Odyssey 2 artwork. :twisted:

• Like 1