IGNORED

AV mod kit for Intellivision?

ianoid

4 minutes ago, Lathe26 said:

I've just ordered several AV mod boards and will provide a comparison between them.  When they all arrive and I solder on the connectors, I'll post photos of the video output results.  I should be able to do this in a few weeks.

Oh cool! which other boards did you find and order then? I did order some from an ebay seller over the summer called VA3 games or something like that? Anyway, the first of the two I received was DOA as it would only give me a picture from a CRT and never from an LCD. The second one did work but was huge smeary mess on the Intelly I was putting it into. I ended up ordering and using a retrofixes one for that intellivision which, worked well at that time.

I'm definitely looking forward to the results. I ordered the RetroFixes.com board after having issues with the one from Greatdarb. Both had identical issues, but I have yet to take the time to compare them to see if they are using the same circuitry or not.

Compared to the RF, neither had a higher quality than RF. However, the bigger issue was colors. It sounds just like what Crossbow mentioned. Colors were way off. Basically, everything that was supposed to be yellow was green, and it really struggled with light blue. Putting in Tron Deadly Discs gave me identical results on both. The light blue guys that come out right away were bright pink.

I contacted both sellers and both were nice and shot some messages back and forth, but things didn't get far. Both made it sound like this was new feedback. I tried both circuits on two different Intellivision 2609 units and had identical results on two TVs. One LCD, one plasma. RF looks fine, so I know it isn't either system with issues.

Depending on the results of Lathe26's tests, I'll either just go with another option, or will attempt some of these alterations to see if I can get better results with what I have. I'd love to have composite outputs, but haven't had the best luck with what I've purchased yet.

Edited by Vedder9

When RF is fine, have you something connected on the composite video output of the mod ? If no, it would be interesting to try with both output connected. The digital video output of the intlv is open collector/drain and modulate the continuous (with a pretty high impedance) voltage source provided by the RF box. So the pickup point and the input impedance of the mod are critical to get the proper intended video signal.

• 6 months later...
On 1/22/2020 at 12:41 PM, Lathe26 said:

Here's the ones I've ordered:

• RetroFixes.com
  • eBay seller retro_mood (the "guy from Turkey")
  • eBay seller winz_mod
  • eBay seller greatdarb

I do realize that some of these boards might have identical circuitry but we'll see when they arrive.

Just curious if you were able to do the comparison tests? @Lathe26

• Like 1

I've done some informal testing and I like retro_mood's the best.  At some point I will make a video going into the details and comparing each one.

Recently, I picked up a used vectorscope designed to analyze standard-def video (no RF support but does do composite, S-video, and component).  I am still learning how to use it and it might be used as part of the analysis.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am sorry to see this post just died 6 months later. I am glad that "Lathe26" likes the Turkey Kit as I am about to use it (in 6 weeks) to do a composite mod for a customer and I don't have access to a 2015 43" LG LED (I assume). It kinda sucks when I have read so many different posts that state every TV can behave differently with a A/V Mod Kit installed on a 2609 Intellivision. I will install inside the shielded Logic Board assembly like <CrossBow> does and hope for the best.

Should I try to convince the customer to use a RGB Mod Kit instead? Do these tend to work better with more brands of newer LED, Plasma, or OLED TV's? I am getting tired of scanning so many different posts tonight, so I'll see if anyone replies to this.

7 hours ago, walldog1 said:

I am sorry to see this post just died 6 months later. I am glad that "Lathe26" likes the Turkey Kit as I am about to use it (in 6 weeks) to do a composite mod for a customer and I don't have access to a 2015 43" LG LED (I assume). It kinda sucks when I have read so many different posts that state every TV can behave differently with a A/V Mod Kit installed on a 2609 Intellivision. I will install inside the shielded Logic Board assembly like <CrossBow> does and hope for the best.

Should I try to convince the customer to use a RGB Mod Kit instead? Do these tend to work better with more brands of newer LED, Plasma, or OLED TV's? I am getting tired of scanning so many different posts tonight, so I'll see if anyone replies to this.

Honestly,

This is what I would do. Even if your customer only wants composite, just order and use one of Crayon King's RGB boards. His new Orange Peel boards provide RGB, composite, and s-video. And the composite is the best I've seen yet from any kit I've ever used on the Intellivision and it doesn't require the RF modulator to remain so that can be used as your AV out opening if you wanted. For the price he is charging for his boards currently, just get the Orange Peel and use whatever output you need. Yes, it requires more wiring up to do the job but the results are really good and that is the route I'm going from here on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

just order and use one of Crayon King's RGB boards

Thank you, I was hoping you would chime in. I thought I had read about another maker's board, I just couldn't remember the name. I have no problem with extra wiring as it will be part of a rebuild as well.

I'll find a post about the Crayon King Kit or Google it to find where to buy. Thanks again for reminding again about this option.

Crayon sells his stuff pretty much Ebay only... here is a link to his newest version of the kit. Again, it provides RGB, S-video, and Composite. I've been installing all three for my clients that want this but you could just wire up the s-video or composite if that is all you planned to use and you would NOT be disappointed by the results. I haven't been disappointed and actually think the s-video on this kit is pretty darn stellar.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284566484576?hash=item42417bf660:g:O6QAAOSwrm9hum~G

• Like 1

8 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

actually think the s-video on this kit is pretty darn stellar

Too bad S-Video is dying, if not dead altogether on new TV's and any other video equipment.

The 3 pictures that compare the A/V, S-Video, & RGB are good indicators of picture quality on his eBay site. The A/V is quite sharp looking, but if you look at the 8 color bars on the top of the screen shot, they are wrong in their color. I know these by memory with all the tuning of RF Mods for best color & sound. I guess that just shows the A/V conversion kit issues with the Intellivision. At least the games would be easy to see and playable, even if the overall colors of objects are slightly off compared to a RF signal to a CRT TV Coax Input.

The RGB screen shot ROCKS! I don't know what he is running it thru though to the HDTV. Maybe one can make their own 5 RCA plugs for RGB and L/R Sound to the 8 pin DIN output? Or there is already some out there for sale? I am just learning the world of Mod upgrades and other equipment between game consoles and TV's.

The RGB is a direct capture but the s-video and composite are pics taken of the TV set. I can assure you that the colors you see in the RGB are the same you get from the s-video and composite. Because the s-video and composite images are derived from the RGB side first. So it is just a difference in how he took the pics externally for those AV outputs vs the RGB which is essentially a screen capture directly.

5 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I can assure you that the colors you see in the RGB are the same you get from the s-video and composite.

Thank you, good to know. But that doesn't explain the 8 color bars being out of their correct order. I forgot to add "order" to my earlier statement. Just curious about that part only.

2 hours ago, walldog1 said:

Thank you, good to know. But that doesn't explain the 8 color bars being out of their correct order. I forgot to add "order" to my earlier statement. Just curious about that part only.

Well, the RGB kit is using a programmed palette that gets output. As a result, you are seeing what Crayon programmed as the output palette. There is an alternate palette as well and that is why he includes the switch. I think his alternate is closer to what I'm used to seeing but most a few of my clients disagree and prefer his default programmed palette. Again, there is a switch to flip it on the fly, or you can look and see which you prefer. If you prefer the default, then leave the pads for the colsel portion alone. If you like the alternate and want to keep it that way, then you simply bridge the pads with some solder. Or install the included toggle (Or other SPST of your choice) switch to select as needed.

• Like 1

I broke down and ordered a SCART to 8 Pin DIN Cable from Retrocables in the UK per the Crayon king's recommendation. Plus I like its construction, with each individual wire shielded as well as the outer braid ground wrap around all the wires.

I was told I could buy a cheap OSSC, which I had to research to understand what it was, but I went with the #1 ranked OSSC for 2022 to date from Kaicolabs, Model 1.6. $200 on Amazon, but I went straight to kaicolabs.com & 30% off during February and it was priced in euros even though they are in the UK. This just means it only cost $149, no tax, with free shipping as an option. I paid the $7.10 for Royal Post shipping. It should work awesome for years to come!

Now I can MOD with RGB and be able to see my work before returning to customer. A new adventure for me, but I think it will pay great dividends in the long run.

On 2/4/2022 at 2:14 PM, walldog1 said:

I was told I could buy a cheap OSSC, which I had to research to understand what it was, but I went with the #1 ranked OSSC for 2022 to date from Kaicolabs, Model 1.6. $200 on Amazon, but I went straight to kaicolabs.com & 30% off during February and it was priced in euros even though they are in the UK. This just means it only cost $149, no tax, with free shipping as an option. I paid the $7.10 for Royal Post shipping. It should work awesome for years to come!

I would have bought the OSSC from the source themselves. Video Game Perfection out of the UK. They don't have any new OSSCs on hand, but have refurbished ones that are far less than the $200 you spent on Amazon. Just an FYI, I would see if you can cancel your order to save some money.

https://videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-scan-converter-1-6-refurbished/

9 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I would have bought the OSSC from the source themselves

9 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

but I went straight to kaicolabs.com & 30% off during February

Yes, I said I got it for $149 from Kaicolabs directly!

I did check out the link, but they are currently out of stock. Would have been a little over $100 for a rebuilt.

Edited by walldog1