IGNORED

Remove 2nd digit from score?

salzmafia.com

I've never programmed for the Atari 2600 so going about this may be completely different than what I would be thinking. But I would think if I have a 6 digit number I would want to divide the number by 100,000 and that without the remainder would be the digit to the left that a variable would be assigned to for use with that one digit by itself. Then for the other I would take the the total score and subtract the (that variable times 100,000) and what would be left would be the the 5 digit number, then divide that by 10,000 and that gives you the value for digit 5 and store it as a variable, so then you could take the 5 digit number and subtract the (that variable times 10,000), which will leave you with the 4 digit number that you can then display next. Like I said though I've never programmed on the 2600 and there are other ways to do that also but I was trying to do it thinking of an easy to understand way to do it, if it can even be done like that on it I have no clue.

I've never programmed for the Atari 2600 so going about this may be completely different than what I would be thinking. But I would think if I have a 6 digit number I would want to divide the number by 100,000 and that without the remainder would be the digit to the left that a variable would be assigned to for use with that one digit by itself. Then for the other I would take the the total score and subtract the (that variable times 100,000) and what would be left would be the the 5 digit number, then divide that by 10,000 and that gives you the value for digit 5 and store it as a variable, so then you could take the 5 digit number and subtract the (that variable times 10,000), which will leave you with the 4 digit number that you can then display next. Like I said though I've never programmed on the 2600 and there are other ways to do that also but I was trying to do it thinking of an easy to understand way to do it, if it can even be done like that on it I have no clue.

Thanks for the reply. I have no concerns with the values of the score, I just need that 2nd digit to not be on the screen. Even better - to have the 2nd and 3rd digit removed.

I just wanted to show what I was trying to explain.

<?php
$score = 728437;
echo "Example score is $score<br>";
$leftdigit = $score / 100000;
$leftdigitnoremainder = (floor($leftdigit));
$fivedigits = $score - ($leftdigitnoremainder * 100000);
$fifthdigit = $fivedigits / 10000;
$fifthdigitnoremainder =(floor($fifthdigit));
$fourdigits = $fivedigits - ($fifthdigitnoremainder * 10000);
echo "$leftdigitnoremainder $fourdigits";

?>

You can put this in at http://phptester.net/ if you want to test it out. I know it will be different programming I just wanted to explain the logic behind it.

Edited by SignGuy81

Thanks for the replies thus far. Perhaps I'm not explaining myself well (which I often do :-) ) All i want to do is make the 2nd (or 2nd and 3rd digit) of the score not show. I don't want to change the numbers into an inventory system - I need the number sprites to remain as they are. In 2013 years ago I had posted a similar question about removing the center two numbers, and someone provided some ASM to do this and it worked great. Unfortunately I don't have that code anymore, I can't find the thread, and even if I did I don't know if would help in this situation.

I just wanted to show what I was trying to explain.

<?php

$score = 728437;

echo "$leftdigitnoremainder $fourdigits";

?>

You can put this in at http://phptester.net/ if you want to test it out. I know it will be different programming I just wanted to explain the logic behind it.

I know it doesn't matter now because it is different but I thought either way I should correct my mistake I didn't think of earlier which is that in my code above I completely overlooked if any digit was a zero(oops) so I made some changes which work now

<?php

$score = 192387; //any number up to six digits, don't put zeros in front like 023455, instead do 23455

$fourthdigit = $fourdigits / 1000;

$fourthdigitnoremainder =(floor($fourthdigit));

$threedigits = $fourdigits - ($fourthdigitnoremainder * 1000);

$thirddigit = $threedigits / 100;

$thirddigitnoremainder =(floor($thirddigit));

$twodigits = $threedigits - ($thirddigitnoremainder * 100);

$seconddigit = $twodigits / 10;

$seconddigitnoremainder = (floor($seconddigit));

$onedigit = $twodigits - ($seconddigitnoremainder * 10);

$firstdigit = $onedigit / 1;

$firstdigitnoremainder = (floor($firstdigit));

echo "$leftdigitnoremainder $fourthdigitnoremainder$thirddigitnoremainder$seconddigitnoremainder$firstdigitnoremainder";

?>

Now any number you put for the first line for example $score will come out in the format 0 0000, for example 845932 will provide 8 5932 as did with my first post but now 004056(put it in as 4056 though no zeroes in front) will come out correctly as 0 4056

edit:

Took me a bit but came up with a shorter version does same thing

<?php

$score = 987693;// Example score

$numdigits = strlen($score);

if($numdigits < 6){

$numtoadd = 6 - $numdigits;

}else{

$numtoadd = 0;

}

do{

if($numtoadd > 0){

$array[] = 0;

$numtoadd --;

}

}while ($numtoadd > 1);

$newarray = str_split($score);

$place = 0;

do{

$array[] = $newarray[$place];

$numdigits --;

$place ++;

}while ($numdigits > 0);

echo "$array[0] $array[2]$array[3]$array[4]$array[5]";

?>

Edited by SignGuy81

I recommend using RevEng's custom score_graphics.asm. I've done this to have blank spaces at certain points in my project. Let me know if you need any usage examples that aren't explained in this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/147450-custom-fonts-for-bb-all-in-one-score-graphicsasm/

Not looking to change the font, or artificially "remove it" as a sprite. I just don't want the 2nd digit drawn. I found the original thread I was referring to here. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/215110-three-two-digit-scores/?hl=score+graphics&do=findComment&comment=2804136

• Like 1