IGNORED

New XBOX one owner - a retro gamers viewpoint

negative1

My friend replaced his old xbox one, with the 's' version, so he's lent me his old one, for unlimited time.

I don't have to return it.

i have had it for a few weeks now, and just wanted to give my opinion on how it's doing, and

any issues i have.

just to clarify before going into this, i am NOT the person or type of gamer that microsoft and the xbox one

typical person is, i have an xbox 360 still, and am perfectly happy with it, and consider it one of the best,

if not best retrogaming consoles out there. i also don't play any shooters, or popular games that most

people do (with the possible exception of forza racing). i never buy games new (physical), and usually

just settle for small digital download games, and indie games.

secondly, i have no use for multiplayer, or online play, i don't have a gold account.

thirdly, i don't have highspeed internet access or plan to anytime soon.

==========================================================

that being said, when the console first came out, i wondered if it would replace the xbox 360,

this was when there was no backward compatibility, and also very few retro games announced.

so, initially, it looked like there was no chance it would ever replace the 360, and also, it had

draconian drm, and online restrictions. (along with kinect).

unfortunately, some of these things still haven't changed, although the backwards comptability

is probably the only saving grace of the console (i don't care for original xbox games, because

i still have an original xbox also)....

===========================================================

system

========================

- it's a more powerful system

- it has more space than my xbox 360

- more media functions (game dvr, and others)

- some social stuff (clubs)

- good networking and backup features

games

=========================

- a lot, but not all of my retro games are backward compatible

Thats about all i can say are the good features, now for the problems, issues and complaints
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

system issues

---------------------------------------------------------

- interface is terrible compared to the 360, its just clunky, not intuitive, and not very responsive

- too many updates that make the system inoperable for anyone without internet access

[- currently, i can't use the system, because i can't download the update, so i am trying to use the offline features

which are restricted]

- crippling system features when you can't go online

- can't access my achievements

- can't use the game dvr (it records, but you have no idea of how much, or what)

games

------------------------

- some games, like ones from konami, don't support the game dvr

- doesn't recognize xbox 360 discs, like midway arcade origins

this means i have to repurchase games i already own on disc, for the new digital version

- very poor selection of retro games native to xbox one (only qbert, and 4 namco games)

- games sometimes crash or freeze when loading (never happened on the xbox 360)

- i get system crashes and freezes on all kinds of screens, sometimes it says it takes too long

to load, which is ridiculous

- one last thing, (not really retro applicable), but loading and installing games is a huge pain in the

neck that takes forever, and even then there are still game updates. i think it took me a whole

afternoon, and another day to get forza 6 to the point where it would actually run it kept saying

i could play it with a partial install, but that feature NEVER even came close to working. causing

several freezes, and i gave up.

========================

controller - the xbox one wireless controller is horrible and almost useless for any games, even new ones like forza 6.

i ended up buying a wired controller for $10 which was better in every possible way than the microsoft one.

i also use a cronus maxpro adapter, so i can use a custom arcade joystick with many of the games like pac-man, galaga and dig dug.

====================================

conclusions

=======================================

overall, the xbox one is the WORST console i have ever had, when it comes to gaming, stability, system and controllers.

i would NEVER recommend it to anyone that wants to play older games on it, the xbox 360 is much better in every possible way.

and its not just problems with old games, my friend with the s, has similar issues, with updates, freezes, crashes, and other problems,

even with his superfast gigabit internet connection, wireless controllers, and a 1 terabyte hard drive.

microsoft has basically crippled their newer systems (don't know about the x, but i doubt its any better), and even though you aren't

required to have the kinect, i'm sure that would make it even worse.

i have no intention of keeping this system, but there are few more scores i want to put on the leaderboards for some games, before i

am done with it.

i do like the game dvr feature when it works, but it is so clunky, and editing and uploading is such a pain, it takes the fun out of sharing

it with the clubs (which i do like). i have hundreds of saved clips, but navigating through and working with them is just insanely bad.

too bad microsoft, you could have really improved the console, but you've made it worse in every possible way.

i'm glad i never bought one originally, and even getting one for free is a big waste of time, and hassle.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1

Mm. I have the S, and this hasn't been my experience. The interface is a mess, I'll grant you that, but crashing hasn't been an issue and the controller is better than it was on the previous system. I'm satisfied with the machine, if not especially excited by it. It's solid, but not up to the standards of the first two Xbox consoles.

Can you maybe take a flash drive to the library and download X1 updates on it? That'd keep your system up to date and maybe improve its performance.

• Like 2

I don't really have the crashing problems that you mention, but My XOne (an original model) is always connected to the internet. Sometimes an individual game will freeze up, but that happened all the time on the 360 with games like Skyrim or LEGO XYZ. Updates are always done while the console is switched off, so I can't say I've ever waited for an update to install - not even one time. Game installs are long though.

The controller is almost universally praised as an improvement and since you don't actually offer any specific criticism, I have no idea what you don't like about it. I can't say that I particularly favor it over the X360 controller, but I don't really have any complaints about it.

Before your post, I had never even heard of Game DVR. I guess I have to look that up now.

I have had crashing issues but they seem to have been mostly eradicated for me as the years have passed.

As far as updates, I have waited quite a time for them to install. However, I don't leave my system in hibernation mode. When it's off, it's off--I don't want it constantly sucking power when I am at work or asleep. My download speed is fast though (300mbps) so game installs don't generally take that long. Installs from discs on the other hand still take ages.

I do find the controller to be excellent. It's still not perfect to me (for that, I look at the Switch Pro Controller), but it's an improvement over the 360 design.

I have an S - it's never crashed on me yet, although tonight the Blu-Ray player app crashed for the first time. But I can't blame the system itself for that.

Generally I agree that it's not a very good system. I'm surprised it's really even in the running in this console generation, and I have to believe that that's only on the strength of the goodwill they built up with the 360. I don't really know why someone would choose an Xbox One over a PS4 (as an owner of both), unless they were just pre-disposed to supporting Xbox because they've had other Xboxes in the past. The game selection isn't there, and even among multiplatform games, the Xbox One versions just aren't as good.

The main reason I have mine is to use as a 4K Blu-Ray player. Even now, dedicated 4K BD players are more expensive than the Xbox One S, so it's kind of a no-brainer if you're in the market for that. The gaming stuff is basically a free extra. And I'm glad of that, because I've tried to find Xbox One exclusive games that I want and I basically have found none. And I don't know of any multiplatform games that I'd rather get on the Xbox One than the PS4 either.

Have a feeling I'm going to end up owning about four total games for this system once I stop using it. (I own two right now - Forza 7 and Madden 18, which it came with.)

- too many updates that make the system inoperable for anyone without internet access

[- currently, i can't use the system, because i can't download the update, so i am trying to use the offline features

which are restricted]

- crippling system features when you can't go online

- can't access my achievements

- can't use the game dvr (it records, but you have no idea of how much, or what)

Thank-you for this honest assessment! The online requirement makes this a defiinte no-buy for me.

Thanks for your comments everyone.

I try to be fair in my assessments, and I try to outline all the conditions before coming to a conclusion.

I am not paid or biased for or against microsoft. In fact I LOVE their products, i have a windows 7 phone, i use windows 7 professional on almost

all my computers and have windows 8.1 on my surface pro (original) tablet. I use their products almost exclusively, and i LOVE my XBOX 360,

i did replace it after 10 years since it had a RROD, with an xbox slim, and added a 320G drive to it. It runs like it did day 1, and is silky smooth

in operations, and playback of all the games i have them on.

controller

======================

The stock xbox one dual analog stick control - i have played games that use the dual joystick and after playing for 3-4 hours straight (which

is a short gameplay period for me- i usually play from 5-10 hours straight)... the grip on the sticks is VERY irritating to my fingers. i don't use

my thumbs, i hold them like miniature joysticks when i play,

the dpad is way too hard, and not precise enough for the games i play. i rarely used the bumper or trigger buttons, with the exception of forza.

the controller is hard, and my hands cramp up easily when playing forza or any other games.

- the replacement controller which i got for $10 : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KMAYANU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

f25e00ee-adbf-4ebc-a7c0-0a8e76411421_1.7

This has much softer grips, and several replacement for the analog sticks.

I can play for hours with this, and not got rubbed raw, or have splinters or blisters.

wireless issues

=========================

several times during play, the wireless controllers stop responding, the light will flash, etc, and

i have to constantly resync it to use it... (the batteries are fully charged).

this is aggravating and annoying especially when it happens right in the middle of a game!

i usually try for marathon runs in games, and these usually take an hour or more to play,

so if it happens, its a very catastrophic event.

-

my friend RBR arcade also plays a ton of retro games, and although he hit 900k on

pac-man there on the xbox 360, he could barely break 400k on the new namco xbox one version.

also the scores for pac-man are much lower on this system than previous ones.

i have seen him play, and swears the controller implementation is lacking, and

not as responsive. pac-man is a 60fps game, and missing a turn input while

doing a pattern, makes the game nearly unplayable, as you need high precision,

or your patterns will stop working.

i will NEVER try to play those game with the analog pads, because i am not used to it.

when i use my arcade WIRED controllers, i have 0 lag, and 0 issues with missed inputs.

if i make a wrong turn, its because i messed up my timing and not the controller.

i don't know if there are another types of games (besides fighting games, which

require frame accurate inputs to do special moves), that are impacted by a little

bit of lag, i'm sure most account for it, or don't require that kind of precision.

maybe namco has lousy driver support, but its for stock xbox, so i'm sure

they use the same API everyone else does,

i can attest that their emulation of pac-man, ms pac man, dig dug and galaga

are all arcade accurate. as i have flipped all them (except ms pac man) on the

leaderboards for the xbox 360, xbox one, steam, and in MAME also.

so you can rule out any kind of emulation discrepancy. it's just poor control

implementation from microsoft.

Updates

=============

i've looked into downloading system updates offline, but have not had to resort to this yet.

i usually go to a friends house or my parents who have high speed internet..

this brings up another point:

-------------------------------------

the need for so many system updates, i realize this is a much more complex system than

originally, and is used for many other things than just playing games.

i have no use for any features on this machine besides playing games, i don't watch movies,

streaming (obviously), etc. so any media functions are a complete waste of time.

the system OS updates are fine, but they seem to be very frequent, and just impede game

playing. yes, the 360 had them too, but they did seem as often, and as large as these ones

are.

i understand i am not the Target game player that they would like, but i just wanted to let anyone

else considering getting a used one, or considering one for future play.

i know its hard to get complex systems to work right, but even though my internet and online portions

don't work properly and aren't up to their standards. i at least expected to get the same standards

of offline play that i can get from the xbox 360. it is not even a close comparison, and one that

hinders the usability of the console.

later

Edited by negative1

by the way, this whole, update the system every time they need to fix something is very aggravating.

and the same reason why i will NEVER switch to windows 10 either, i have tried it, and have had

similar system issues, crashes, freezes etc, on laptops, desktops and tablets.

i know at least with Windows 10, you can mitigate and manage the updates, so it's not that

terrible when they occur.

unfortunately, you can't do this with the xbox one, if you could, it would be a lot more useful,

but it would probably break their network code, and then you wouldn't be eligible for scores,

achievements, etc.

---

i also noticed that the xbox one constantly tries to check the network, for ads, and updates,

and everything else by default. Even the game videos the DVR saves, it tries to go to

xbox live which is excruciatingly slow, and when you switch to local saves, its just as slow,

and usually errors out, or freezes also,

I have had constant problems in uploading videos, and trying to share clips with clubs.

Maybe people don't use these features much, which is why they are so buggy and unstable.

It's too bad, because it's probably only the one neat feature, that it has, so you don't have

to buy an expensive capture card, or have accounts on video sites, etc.

I haven't tried broadcasting or using mixer, but i'm sure that would be a nightmare for me also.

later

system

========================

- it's a more powerful system

- it has more space than my xbox 360

Not that it is noticeable though seeing how some of the games take up about 10 times the space an Xbox 360 game would. I have a 320GB Xbox 360 console and have literally 100 games on it and still have room for more. I have less than 10 games on the Xbox One and would have to remove one now to install another game.

Edited by SignGuy81

*Some* of the problems listed by negative1 seem at least partly due to hardware that's either worn out or is borderline defective to begin with. It may also be that MS just doesn't care about supporting the original Xbox One anymore, and the updates have passed it by. I'm sure they've also improved the hardware in the S and X. But I didn't have any reliability, D-pad or other hardware issues with either my S or my X that I had for about a month. Everything has at least worked the way it's supposed to.

I need to try some of the backward compatibility. To be honest, it's one of the things I was kind of looking forward to with this system, but then I sort of forgot about it because it turned out to be a little more complicated than I first thought. Initially I assumed that they'd gotten basically every 360 game working by now, and I never had a 360 so that'd be awesome. But now I understand that it's actually only a couple hundred total games, and much less than that in terms of physical games (which is all I care about). One of these days I'll go through the list and see what I'm actually interested in. But I still think it's going to be a much shorter list than I initially assumed it would be.

If you include OG XBOX titles, the list comes to 449 backwards compatible games as of this writing. Microsoft is still adding games on a weekly basis, so expect that number to continue to grow.

Yeah, but about 75% of those are XBLA titles. And I have an OG Xbox, so I don't need those. I also don't need anything but exclusive games, since I have a PS3.

Here's the 360 list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backward_compatible_games_for_Xbox_One#List_of_compatible_titles_from_Xbox_360

Edited by spacecadet

*Some* of the problems listed by negative1 seem at least partly due to hardware that's either worn out or is borderline defective to begin with. It in terms of physical games (which is all I care about). One of these days I'll go through the list and see what I'm actually interested in. But I still think it's going to be a much shorter list than I initially assumed it would be.

This is a machine that's had moderate use over 3 years. If this console is that flimsy, then that's a problem. I also mentioned my friend has a brand new 's' version, with many of the same problems.

The machine i'm using has a 320G drive, and is 25% full, so why am i getting loading errors (taking too long), for pac-man, or other tiny retro games.

I would say about 80% of the games that i have (that haven't been delisted) are backwards compatible, and work as expected on the Xbox one.

It's a good feature, and for most people it just works. For others without online access, and/or slow internet speeds, the updates kill the possibility of stable gameplay.

later

Edited by negative1

Not that it is noticeable though seeing how some of the games take up about 10 times the space an Xbox 360 game would. I have a 320GB Xbox 360 console and have literally 100 games on it and still have room for more. I have less than 10 games on the Xbox One and would have to remove one now to install another game.

I say that retro games on the 360 are tiny, but the xbox one versions of the 360 games, all have a full emulator on them, which inflates the game up to a Gig i think for most of them. Yes, i know that some of the games

have to be tweaked to run, but it's still a very inefficient way of dealing with them.

later

Edited by negative1

Thank-you for this honest assessment! The online requirement makes this a defiinte no-buy for me.

There is no online requirement other than like any other modern device having an online requirement. Generally speaking, you don't have to do any updates if you don't want to. It usually just means you can't play online. Of course, if you want to play a backwards compatible title or download a digital game, of course you'll need initial online access.

Unfortunately, if you can't or don't want to do the online thing, then you're pretty much out of luck with any modern gaming, regardless of being PC, console, or handheld device. On one level I can understand the resistance, but on another level I personally reap many benefits from everything being online all the time.

• Like 4

I think 90% of your problems is not having stable internet. Even the controllers receive updates.

-I have Midway Arcade Origins on disc and it works just fine on my Xbox One.

-My controllers work great and are the best ones that Microsoft has made to date, especially the Elite and they work great on the PC as well.

-There are also a ton more retro games than the ones you listed. Ones released for the Xbox One and backwards compatible games as well. Of the top of my head, there is Another World 25th Anniversary Edition, D/Generation HD, Crazy Taxi, Nights Into Dreams, Joust, Daytona USA, the 2017 Atari compilations, the new Strider, Rare Replay and a bunch more that I'm missing from Sega and Capcom.

-I also think the quality of the Xbox One is leagues better than the Xbox 360, with its red ring of death and bricking fiascos. I had two X360s RROD on me and one brick on me after an infamous update that bricked a crap load of Xbox 360s.

Edited by Major Havoc 2049
  • Like 2

I think 90% of your problems is not having stable internet. Even the controllers receive updates.

I agree its some of the problem, but not 90%.

Why don't achievements work offline? I've been playing forza 6 for a week now, and I don't think it's even tracking any of the progress I've made during that time.

I just finished the update 2 days ago, so I can finally get access to them now.

Now that I'm online, I still have lockups, freezes, and games taking too long to load.

-I have Midway Arcade Origins on disc and it works just fine on my Xbox One.

Everytime I put my disc in, it says it can't read it, or it's incompatible.

This review on Amazon said this if it works on the xbox one.

No you can not unfortunately. There is a compatibility list on Wikipedia.

--

If you know of someway to get it to work, please let others know.

-My controllers work great and are the best ones that Microsoft has made to date, especially the Elite and they work great on the PC as well.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on a gamepad, as I mentioned a $10 WIRED controller worked better than the default one,

and the standard ones have a terrible grip on the analog sticks which rub your fingers raw after several hours.

-There are also a ton more retro games than the ones you listed. Ones released for the Xbox One and backwards compatible games as well. Of the top of my head, there is Another World 25th Anniversary Edition, D/Generation HD, Crazy Taxi, Nights Into Dreams, Joust, Daytona USA, the 2017 Atari compilations, the new Strider, Rare Replay and a bunch more that I'm missing from Sega and Capcom.

I'm only talking about native XBOX one games. Not backwards compatible ones. New versions of games, are not retro. Yes, the atari compilations are retro. Thats about it.

-I also think the quality of the Xbox One is leagues better than the Xbox 360, with its red ring of death and bricking fiascos. I had two X360s RROD on me and one brick on me after an infamous update that bricked a crap load of Xbox 360s.

My first xbox 360 lasted 10 years with 0 issues, i could have probably fixed the RROD, but got another one for free so I didn't bother. The xbox one so far has been a piece of junk software wise, and

the hardware is ok, but with poor controllers.

Overall, it's a much worse console, with limited usability.

later

Edited by negative1

I looked into both PS4 and Xbone at the insistence of coworkers and decided that I'll skip this Gen and just "be old". lol The only way you'd be able to even setup an xbone in my building is by using a cable to a laptop computer. The wifi here blocks game systems unless you use a "shared connection" through laptop or PC. Few here have such a device, so few new consoles here as well.

• Like 1

I looked into both PS4 and Xbone at the insistence of coworkers and decided that I'll skip this Gen and just "be old". lol The only way you'd be able to even setup an xbone in my building is by using a cable to a laptop computer. The wifi here blocks game systems unless you use a "shared connection" through laptop or PC. Few here have such a device, so few new consoles here as well.

Bleccch, that sounds awful. Where do you live where you can't run your own wifi? In a state prison or something?

Bleccch, that sounds awful. Where do you live where you can't run your own wifi? In a state prison or something?

I think it's likely at a large company with a proxy. No organization outside a company or government would spend the money on a proxy to block content. Probably better he/she not play games or work .. or could he/she be using a company's free wifi at home .. yea I guess prison could also be the case?

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1

In an apartment building. Even my 360 didn't get on their net here. I just use a cable to my laptop. Anyone who buys a new system winds up downstairs complaining. You can only use the services provided by the bldg mgmt. Net and Tv cost $6 weekly. They screen device addresses to keep people from parking in our lot and using the net or hacking residents. I actually got locked out of it once and had to call mgmt.

At work, I can do whatever I want net-wise as long as my machines are running. :D

Most residents here use their phones for everything anyway, even hook them up to the TV.

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1