IGNORED

New XBOX one owner - a retro gamers viewpoint

negative1

I agree its some of the problem, but not 90%.

Why don't achievements work offline? I've been playing forza 6 for a week now, and I don't think it's even tracking any of the progress I've made during that time.

I just finished the update 2 days ago, so I can finally get access to them now.

Now that I'm online, I still have lockups, freezes, and games taking too long to load.

Everytime I put my disc in, it says it can't read it, or it's incompatible.

This review on Amazon said this if it works on the xbox one.

No you can not unfortunately. There is a compatibility list on Wikipedia.

--

If you know of someway to get it to work, please let others know.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on a gamepad, as I mentioned a $10 WIRED controller worked better than the default one,

and the standard ones have a terrible grip on the analog sticks which rub your fingers raw after several hours.

I'm only talking about native XBOX one games. Not backwards compatible ones. New versions of games, are not retro. Yes, the atari compilations are retro. Thats about it.

My first xbox 360 lasted 10 years with 0 issues, i could have probably fixed the RROD, but got another one for free so I didn't bother. The xbox one so far has been a piece of junk software wise, and

the hardware is ok, but with poor controllers.

Overall, it's a much worse console, with limited usability.

later

As for Midway Arcade Origins, it is on the backwards compatible list. I just put in the disc, it downloads the game and it works.

Since you don't want to include a free feature like backwards compatibility, which has a ton of retro games from companies like Sega, Midway, Capcom, Konami and others, here is a list of some retro games for the Xbox One:

Rare Replay

Atari Flashback vol. 1 & 2

Namco Arcade Series: Galaga, Dig Dug, Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man

Mega Man Legacy Collection vol 1 & 2

The Disney Afternoon Collection

Some newer retro games: Halo: The Master Chief Collection and Microsoft has remastered Grabbed by the Ghoulies (in Rare Replay) and Phantom Dust (free download) from the OG Xbox. Capcom also has the Resident Evil Origins Collection and Resident Evil 4. There is Sonic Mania.

If you do include backwards compatible games, from just Sega alone, there are 35 retro Sega classics from the arcade, Genesis, Sega CD, Saturn and Dreamcast that can be played on the Xbox One.

• Like 2

This is probably not a very common situaiton, but you know something that really keeps me on the XBox platform is the fact that I can earn $$ searching on Bing so easily. I use Bing to get search points and trade them in for $$ in the MS Store. I've bought tons of stuff on the XBox store over the years, but almost all of it has been paid for with free $$ earned by searching on Bing. I almost always have at least a few dollars in my account which makes it extremely unlikely that I would buy something cross platform from any other marketplace.

This is probably not a very common situaiton, but you know something that really keeps me on the XBox platform is the fact that I can earn $$ searching on Bing so easily. I use Bing to get search points and trade them in for $$ in the MS Store. I've bought tons of stuff on the XBox store over the years, but almost all of it has been paid for with free $$ earned by searching on Bing. I almost always have at least a few dollars in my account which makes it extremely unlikely that I would buy something cross platform from any other marketplace.

Hehe MS is pretty stupid. I have a python script that gets launched randomly and goes to various websites to accumulate Bing points. I get free Starbucks due to Microsoft.

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1

Heh, I got banned from Bing Rewards because I was using a script to visit random sites and boost my points. No regerts, though... I sure as hell wasn't going to use it as my main search engine. They literally had to pay me to use Bing, and now that they won't, there's no point in using it.

Heh, I got banned from Bing Rewards because I was using a script to visit random sites and boost my points. No regerts, though... I sure as hell wasn't going to use it as my main search engine. They literally had to pay me to use Bing, and now that they won't, there's no point in using it.

You have to make times and accesses random but not too much in a 24 hour period as need limit to roughly same 10 hours per day. . I also added random missing days and a 2 week vacation each year during the summer. Also need to do in batches with reasonable delays that vary slightly. Any predictable behavior and MS will flag you on the naughty list and terminate your account. I went through 5 accounts with 5 different IP addresses until finally had my scripts "humanized".

Edited by thetick1

Except for the interface, which is terrible(PS4 is much more user friendly), I have never had problems with games crashing. The controller works great for me also and my XBONE is a day one edition. I just wish they would change the interface and make it more like Sony's. And, I also agree, the whole install thing for both X Box 1 and PS4 is a pain in the rear.

I have and use an original Xbox One.. I can't say I've had ANY problems. Maybe a freeze once? Yes, the interface is a pain in the butt. Other than that, I have no complaints.

I have a feeling it's related to the network connection.

For some reason, almost everything has some kind of network check going on.

Even if you want to view your captures, it defaults to xbox live. Which, by the way, YOU CANT check when you are offline, which is what i am almost all the time.

There are serious issues loading games, and i have seen 'this game is taking too long too load' many times, even for the tiny backward compatible games.

later

I have a feeling it's related to the network connection.

For some reason, almost everything has some kind of network check going on.

Even if you want to view your captures, it defaults to xbox live. Which, by the way, YOU CANT check when you are offline, which is what i am almost all the time.

There are serious issues loading games, and i have seen 'this game is taking too long too load' many times, even for the tiny backward compatible games.

later

For the most part, I'd have to agree with all your complaints about the XBONE. By design, it really only works when online persistently. I long for the days of plugging a cartridge or disc in and playing. Even having it installed on the HD should work w/o issues of having to be online. And yes, both of my XBONEs have frozen. One even had to be replaced soon after I bought it because of constant failures and hours on the phone and arguing with MS support about it (This coming after I had 4 RRD XBOX 360's .. you'd thought that I would have learned..) I don't have a PS4, so I can't comment how it works, but MS really missed the boat on the essence of what gaming is about. No longer can I buy a game and come home, plug it in and play it... Nope, I must wait several hours for it to "install" and update the friggin patches to the buggy shit that I plugged into my multi-media... do-it-all device powered by MS shipe. I am not a Call of Duty, Battlefield, mmorpg gamer, so maybe I am an oddity in thier market profile. As it stands now, I will never buy another MS "gaming" machine again. I loved Halo back in the day and that is what initially attracted me to the XBONE... but Halo 5 was a shipwreck of a story... Ruined the franchise IMHO.

I hear the Switch is pretty cool. May have a look see there at some point.

As far as bing goes... bleh... My Win 10 PC keeps barking at me to switch to Edge and drop both Firefox and Google... wants me to leave feedback on my WIn10 experience... constantly updates in the middle of work. Leave me the hell alone MS. If I want your products, I'll use them... otherwise, stay the hell off my box and work on improving your customer experience. Microsoft can go suck an egg for all I care.

Edited by GrizzLee
  • Like 1

As far as bing goes... bleh... My Win 10 PC keeps barking at me to switch to Edge and drop both Firefox and Google... wants me to leave feedback on my WIn10 experience... constantly updates in the middle of work. Leave me the hell alone MS. If I want your products, I'll use them... otherwise, stay the hell off my box and work on improving your customer experience. Microsoft can go suck an egg for all I care.

I was trying out a PS4 the other day, and it seems to have a lot of the same issues offline also. So Sony isn't much of an improvement either. Although, I don't really care about trophies at all on that system.

They do seem to have a lot more retro games available, especially a lot of rarer, lesser known arcade titles. So in that sense, they are better. The backwards compatibility works,

if you pay for their streaming service, or pay more for games that they ported.

later

Edited by negative1

Well if you don't want your Xbox One then sell it to me! :-D

I mainly use my 360 for streaming but the apps & web browser are no longer updated plus I got a crap ton of BC games collected. Not to mention how nice having a built in BluRay as well as being able ot play console exclusive games streamed to my PC.

• 4 weeks later...

Does the Xbox One actually play original Xbox discs? That would make it appealing in some ways...

Ahhh...13 games. Still pretty cool though. No HALO?!?

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility?xr=shellnav

No, those 13 games are *enhanced* on Xbox One X (the fancy new one, that costs $500)

There are a shitload of backwards compatible games on every Xbox One (including the giant black brick that I have), and in my experience they run really well. Get a big external drive and collect them all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backward_compatible_games_for_Xbox_One

Edit: oh, you said "original" Xbox discs. These stupid console names. Never mind. But Halo is in the Master Chief Collection if you really want to play 2001 Halo.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an original Xbox One (the big black box) and have had no issues. But then again, my internet connection is very stable and the Xbox seems to like that. I also have my Xbox 360 nearby that's plugged in in case I want to play some games that I have for it that are not BC with my Xbox One (namely, Kingdoms of Amalur, which I absolutely love). I'm not saying that the Xbox One is perfect, but I have never had any issues, including freezing up, with it. The updates went smoothly the last time it was required, but it wasn't a really "old" model that had one of the first iterations of the operating system.

I actually enjoy the controller over the 360 one, and the wireless feature seems to have no issues. I actually prefer a wired controller since the Xbox One is very close to where I play, so I'm not worried about how far away I get (I usually sit near the TV and system, anyway...great for the eyes). The BC functionality of the Xbox One is awesome. Some games I really just want to play on the Xbox One, other games I can't (as I mentioned), so I am keeping my 360. Besides, both machines compliment one another on my gaming shelves. As far as retro games go, I have a few (Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, Galaga, Dig Dug, Asteroids) and they all work just fine with no issues.

I am far from saying the Xbox One is perfect, but my particular system is fine and everything (knock wood) is working as it should. The most enjoyable game I've been playing so far is Elite: Dangerous.

• Like 2

I have an original Xbox One (the big black box) and have had no issues. But then again, my internet connection is very stable and the Xbox seems to like that. I also have my Xbox 360 nearby that's plugged in in case I want to play some games that I have for it that are not BC with my Xbox One (namely, Kingdoms of Amalur, which I absolutely love). I'm not saying that the Xbox One is perfect, but I have never had any issues, including freezing up, with it. The updates went smoothly the last time it was required, but it wasn't a really "old" model that had one of the first iterations of the operating system.

I actually enjoy the controller over the 360 one, and the wireless feature seems to have no issues. I actually prefer a wired controller since the Xbox One is very close to where I play, so I'm not worried about how far away I get (I usually sit near the TV and system, anyway...great for the eyes). The BC functionality of the Xbox One is awesome. Some games I really just want to play on the Xbox One, other games I can't (as I mentioned), so I am keeping my 360. Besides, both machines compliment one another on my gaming shelves. As far as retro games go, I have a few (Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, Galaga, Dig Dug, Asteroids) and they all work just fine with no issues.

I am far from saying the Xbox One is perfect, but my particular system is fine and everything (knock wood) is working as it should. The most enjoyable game I've been playing so far is Elite: Dangerous.

thats good to hear.

but as i mentioned, a lot of the issues come with having a slow internet connection, so that means yours is working better because you are connected.

just this weekend there were 2 updates in a day, that happened, and if i didn't have access, that's mean that twice i would not be able to access my achievements, or DVR at all.

it's just such a hassle everytime it happens. i am using the xbox one less and less, and the 360 more now. unless there's a game that is exclusive to the xbox one, it is much worse

playing games on it, that the original 360. (minus the DVR feature).

as far as lockups and freezes go, they are still pretty much constant. and my friends xbox one S, which is constantly up to date is worse. mostly in part to all the updates to the

microsoft edge browser, which is now causing the console to lock up and has to be rebooted in order to start working again. there is no way to report the problem directly from edge,

because their feedback link is non-existent, and there is no way to give feedback to microsoft directly unless you go to their website, which doesn't work consistently either. my friend

doesn't have a laptop or pc to use, and this is his main 'browser' tool.

microsoft has consistently made the xbox one OS worse and worse, and the constant updates have not helped or made anything more stable. just the opposite in fact.

later

I have an One S & horrible internet (currently 6.51 mbps download & 6.40 mbps upload) and, knock on wood, have never experienced any lockups or crashes. I play PUBG with friends every night while the wife streams something.

Any updates download & install automatically. Downloading games & large updates sucks & takes awhile, but that's not the machine's fault.

I'm certainly not saying you & your friend's issues aren't a problem, because they obviously are. I just wanted to share my experience.

microsoft has consistently made the xbox one OS worse and worse, and the constant updates have not helped or made anything more stable. just the opposite in fact.

If you are relatively new to the platform, what gives you the confidence to state something like this? There have been many different iterations to the OS and general GUI since 2013 when the system launched, as well as improvements to stability.

• Like 3

If you are relatively new to the platform, what gives you the confidence to state something like this? There have been many different iterations to the OS and general GUI since 2013 when the system launched, as well as improvements to stability.

i might be new to owning it, but i have been using it at my friends place since it's come out. and my assertion about it stands.

the loss of snapping modes, the weird changes in the UI, and the just the general response and non response of it, all add up to a subpar experience.

even the one feature that i do like, is terrible.

i can't even use the DVR with my clips, because its takes forever to load all of them, even locally, and managing hundreds of clips is a total nightmare,

even online.

i can't think of one single improvement that the OS has had since it's been released concerning apps, stability, or interface response.

later

Edited by negative1

I have an One S & horrible internet (currently 6.51 mbps download & 6.40 mbps upload) and, knock on wood, have never experienced any lockups or crashes. I play PUBG with friends every night while the wife streams something.

Any updates download & install automatically. Downloading games & large updates sucks & takes awhile, but that's not the machine's fault.

I'm certainly not saying you & your friend's issues aren't a problem, because they obviously are. I just wanted to share my experience.

that's not horrible internet, that's lightning fast to me.

i am sharing my wifi connection with my phone, so my 4G connection gives me anywhere between 50-100 kbps up or down, if i am lucky.

later

• Like 2

that's not horrible internet, that's lightning fast to me.

i am sharing my wifi connection with my phone, so my 4G connection gives me anywhere between 50-100 kbps up or down, if i am lucky.

later

Wow. Now I don't feel so bad. :)

I live on a remote island & our service isn't great, at least compared to what I used to have & what my friends have. But now I certainly have a better appreciation for it.

I pay for the best Internet available in my area, which is Gigabit, although realistically over my Orbi wifi setup I max out at only around 500 Mbps or so from each device, and sometimes much less depending upon distance. Anyway, even when I had standard speed Internet, which was in the 10s versus the 100s, I can't say I noticed a huge difference in online/download performance on my PS4/Xbox One/Switch. I think they're generally optimized for slower connections, for obvious reasons. And on my iPhone 7 Plus, I think I generally max out in the 300s, with the 200s being more common with some distance from one of my wifi hubs. I've only found on my PC that I can get the best speeds available.

• Like 1