IGNORED

New XBOX one owner - a retro gamers viewpoint

negative1

I always get a kick out of people's 'solution' for bad internet of 'just get better internet'. Um...yeah. Nobody could have thought of that. I just wanted to overpay for crappy internet, that's all, not because there was no better options in my area. :P

I recently found another problem, when (that's when, not if) our internet is down, I can't even log in, meaning my box is more a brick :(

• Like 2

I always get a kick out of people's 'solution' for bad internet of 'just get better internet'. Um...yeah. Nobody could have thought of that. I just wanted to overpay for crappy internet, that's all, not because there was no better options in my area. :P

I get a kick out of people complaining about bad internet when better service options are available, but they don't want to pay for them.

But yes, there are parts of the country where people really don't have many options. I get that. I don't know if the OP is in one of those situations.

I recently found another problem, when (that's when, not if) our internet is down, I can't even log in, meaning my box is more a brick :(

You need to make your console your "Home" system. If it's not, then you might not be able to log into it locally without an internet connection. It's in the system settings. Having your console set as your "Home" system also means other profiles on the console can access your downloaded game library.

• Like 2

I live in a large metropolitan area, so there are plenty of internet options,

although it's more like just the major providers control everything.

As far as I go. It's a choice i can't make I live in a house with my brother,

and he has no need for an internet connection, and I can't afford to have

a permanent connection put in. So that's why I put up with a combined account.

I have access to High speed at my parents, my friends, and at a part time job

at my friends office that I do IT consulting for. So I'm not really hurting for access.

It suits my needs for web access, email, and light surfing. I don't play any kind of

online games, or have any paid services, so I never had a need for high speed access.

It's more by choice, I just didn't think it would affect the console gameplay as much,

since it's not a hard requirement for the Xbox 360, and all the other consoles I own.

Only the Xbox one has had severe issues, as I have mentioned throughout these posts.

later

Edited by negative1

I live in a large metropolitan area, so there are plenty of internet options,

although it's more like just the major providers control everything.

Huh that makes no sense. If you are any major metro area you have choices. Oh course the major players control home internet access. They are no small companies offering fiber or cable service because it is a very huge inital cost to deploy fiber or cable to many homes. Duh!

The people without options are those in extremely rural areas with only phone or satellite options.. those are people who don't options.

Edited by thetick1

Huh that makes no sense. If you are any major metro area you have choices. Oh course the major players control home internet access. They are no small companies offering fiber or cable service because it is a very huge inital cost to deploy fiber or cable to many homes. Duh!

The people without options are those in extremely rural areas with only phone or satellite options.. those are people who don't options.

My point was, that even though we have comcast-xfinity, at&t, and verizon or whoever. That they have a monopoly on certain areas as you say.

In my neighborhood, you can only get At&t, and they suck bigtime, and so does comcast-xfinity. Even if I wanted another provider, I wouldn't be able

to get one, due to the monopoly that they have. I could probably look for a smaller provider, but ultimately they would cost even more to use.

Thats what I meant by limited choices. So, getting a combined account from T-mobile is my stop-gap measure.

later

Edited by negative1

You need to make your console your "Home" system. If it's not, then you might not be able to log into it locally without an internet connection. It's in the system settings. Having your console set as your "Home" system also means other profiles on the console can access your downloaded game library.

Cool thanks. I didn't know this. :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ok, another terrible ''feature' of the xbox one.

was playing the street fighter 30th anniversary compilation in offline mode of course. well it turns out that is incorrect.

xbox live was having issues, and so i couldn't log in.... i just wanted to play some offline games, well it turns out you can't even

save your game locally, and you can't access them unless the online portion is working to log in.

so now i lose access to my save games by being in 'offline' mode, what a joke......

another useless implementation of offline play.

good job capcom and microsoft.

later

Wow, that sucks. They got a fat ass hdd (well, depending on who you are) and don't use it for saving games?

Eh, guess it doesn't really matter to me at this point. Mines packed up and I doubt I'll ever use it again, even when I move, though that's not likely for a couple years. By then whatever the next system is all likely be out with all new limitations built in LOL.

What you are experiencing is game-dependent. Blame Capcom for that one, not Microsoft.

True. But if microsoft can't keep their servers working properly, then they are to blame also.

granted i'm not a gold member, but login issues happened for silver members also.

so even paying customers get penalized.

later

The Xbox One D pad breaks from playing any 2D game. I've broken 2 of my 3 already. For this reason, I use an Xbox 360 controller with an adapter for games that use the D pad for movement.

Otherwise the controller is a slight improvement for games with analog movement.

True. But if microsoft can't keep their servers working properly

Uh.. They do.

granted i'm not a gold member, but login issues happened for silver members also.

so even paying customers get penalized.

Have you ever stopped to consider the problem might be you? You have stated specifically that your internet is crap. Microsoft, nor any other company with internet based services, can't help you if your internet sucks.

• Like 4

Uh.. They do.

Have you ever stopped to consider the problem might be you? You have stated specifically that your internet is crap. Microsoft, nor any other company with internet based services, can't help you if your internet sucks.

-1 is a bit clueless saying .... lives in a major metro area and has crap internet. -1 is either too cheap to pay for a good service or just stupid. I would be the latter.

• Like 1

-1 is a bit clueless saying .... lives in a major metro area and has crap internet. -1 is either too cheap to pay for a good service or just stupid. I would be the latter.

i already said I CANT GET INTERNET installed in the house. it's not my choice.

i'm just saying modern consoles come CRIPPLED BY DESIGN whereas older ones, like the xbox 360 work fine

given the same conditions.

microsoft is stupid for forcing all this crappy cloud saves, and services, and streaming onto people.

why do i need cloud services, when i only care about playing locally? it works fine on the 360.

i'm not the only one having problems with the XBOX live accounts, and logins, my friend that has a GIGAbit speed account has intermittent problems

logging in at times.

so it's not like i'm the person having problems with their services.

later

Edited by negative1

• 4 weeks later...