IGNORED

We need some new Sega hardware!

I freely admit I'm a stupid, stupid man. I at one time owned a Genesis, Sega CD, 32x, Game Gear, Nomad and a Saturn. I of course sold them off about 10-15 years ago and now wish I had them back but finding working ones that don't cost a arm and a leg is nearly impossible. I've seen some of the cheap clones and even own a couple but it's definitely not the the same experience. So now would someone please make a decent portable Genesis and maybe a combo system that runs all of the Genesis games and includes the functionality of the main console plus all the additions.Anyone else interested in this or know where some of this stuff could be found? I have one of the less than stellar AtGames portables but it's not compatible with a couple of my favorite games........ Go figure!

• Like 1

You're looking at around $200 - $250 if you want the entire Genesis/CD/32X setup. That's really not that much compared to what some other systems sell for (go look up Jaguar prices if you want to put things into perspective).

You can always buy them piecemeal. A Genesis console is well under $50. A Sega CD (Model 2 in particular) usually hovers around or a little over $100, and finding a working one is easy. The 32X is probably anywhere from $50 - $100 depending on condition and whether you get it complete in the box.

As far as a modern version of these, you might see a FPGA based Genesis appear in the future, but it has been said that 32X and CD reproduction systems is unlikely. You most certainly will not see a portable version in the near future, if ever.

Thanks for replying. I realize the system isn't hugely expensive but a well made clone would be nice (doesn't have to be fpga) to see considering how old the original systems are now. My previous post was a little confusing. I really meant a home console with all in one Genesis functionality and then a seperate Nomad-like portable system with base Genesis support. I've seen Hyperkins SupaBoy S Portable so a Genesis version wouldn't be a real stretch to imagine. I remember my Nomads screen was okay back then but by todays standards it would be pretty poor looking. It also ate batteries like crazy. So, better screen, built in rechargable battery, and full compatibility with original Genesis games for the portable; and a all in one Genesis/32x/CD console for the home. It's really a wishlist that I've had from when I still owned the originals. Anyone whose had a Model 1, 32x and CD all set up and taking over an entire room could surely sympathize.

...all in one Genesis/32x/CD console for the home

I can't speak for the portable aspect, but a modded Xbox 1 (and others) of course can play all Genny, 32x, and Sega CD games via emulation.. but that's emulation. Still though, I find it perfectly playable when it comes to Genesis/Megadrive titles, and it's what I use for Sega CD & 32x since I don't have the units.

Else getting a regular Genesis and an Everdrive would of course give you the entire Genesis library as well as SMS games available off the bat. Everdrive also supports 32x if you have the hardware.

Else there's also the Fei Hao Clone which supports all carts and the Everdrive, except for virtual racing and 32x which don't work.

• Like 1

The way things have been going with the Super NT, an FPGA Mega Drive might be able to work with the Sega CD. Definitely the 32X. The question would be including the expansion port or not to save costs.

What he said. If Analogue continues down this path, you'll get what you want sooner or later.

• Like 2

I'd love for a hypothetical Mega NT to allow you to connect any kind of external optical drive through USB to play Sega CD games, so you don't actually need a Sega CD. Or just run Sega CD games off the SD.

This is sorta down the path I was thinking about. One slot for the Genesis/Mega/32x cartridges and either a built in CD drive or USB drive for the CD. On a different subject, if a portable (Nomad) system were done I think a Game Gear adapter would be nice (aka PowerBase for the Genesis). If you're gonna dream, dream big!

I can't speak for the portable aspect, but a modded Xbox 1 (and others) of course can play all Genny, 32x, and Sega CD games via emulation.. but that's emulation. Still though, I find it perfectly playable when it comes to Genesis/Megadrive titles, and it's what I use for Sega CD & 32x since I don't have the units.

Else getting a regular Genesis and an Everdrive would of course give you the entire Genesis library as well as SMS games available off the bat. Everdrive also supports 32x if you have the hardware.

Else there's also the Fei Hao Clone which supports all carts and the Everdrive, except for virtual racing and 32x which don't work.

I too am using emulation for the moment to play my non existent Sega 32x and CD but on the much easier to soft mod Wii. I also have an X7 Everdrive on order for my future system. Seriously eyeballing one of those big multicarts for my NES.

This is sorta down the path I was thinking about. One slot for the Genesis/Mega/32x cartridges and either a built in CD drive or USB drive for the CD. On a different subject, if a portable (Nomad) system were done I think a Game Gear adapter would be nice (aka PowerBase for the Genesis). If you're gonna dream, dream big!

I'd rather be able to use a new disc drive than keep relying on my Sega CD from 1994, especially with a brand new FPGA Genesis. On the Nomad, I would be content to sit and wait for McWill to come out with a new screen for it. His Game Gear and Lynx screens are sights to behold.

I'd rather be able to use a new disc drive than keep relying on my Sega CD from 1994, especially with a brand new FPGA Genesis. On the Nomad, I would be content to sit and wait for McWill to come out with a new screen for it. His Game Gear and Lynx screens are sights to behold.

Actually I didn't mean the original Sega Cd... generic usb /custom add-on drive, whichever. The actual hardware to play the Sega CD media would be on the same board as the rest of the system, just not active without the drive available. USB would simply be the bus it would run on. I've witnessed the magnificence McWill's work but it still relies on 30 year old electronics that are rare and going up in price, not even counting the cost for McWills work. I would be willing to "suffer" through with a system based on the Genesis clone sold through Gamerz Tek. Their compatibility, a decent screen and control layout would tick most of my boxes. Figure a $70-120 range for pricing and I'd be in like Donkey Kong!

Actually I didn't mean the original Sega Cd... generic usb /custom add-on drive, whichever. The actual hardware to play the Sega CD media would be on the same board as the rest of the system, just not active without the drive available. USB would simply be the bus it would run on. I've witnessed the magnificence McWill's work but it still relies on 30 year old electronics that are rare and going up in price, not even counting the cost for McWills work. I would be willing to "suffer" through with a system based on the Genesis clone sold through Gamerz Tek. Their compatibility, a decent screen and control layout would tick most of my boxes. Figure a $70-120 range for pricing and I'd be in like Donkey Kong!

Yeah, we're thinking alike! I wouldn't care if it didn't have a SMS cart slot or support the 32X. I think we're already reaching a bit, but a built in CD drive would be the bees knees. I'd think that would be easier than getting it to run BIN/CUE off of the SD. But now we're easily back in the $400 league.

An original XBOX is not a bad compromise at all if you are OK with emulation. It does all three very well and it will even read original Sega CD discs if you absolutely want to use the original media.

Yeah, we're thinking alike! I wouldn't care if it didn't have a SMS cart slot or support the 32X. I think we're already reaching a bit, but a built in CD drive would be the bees knees. I'd think that would be easier than getting it to run BIN/CUE off of the SD. But now we're easily back in the $400 league.

I'd love for a hypothetical Mega NT to allow you to connect any kind of external optical drive through USB to play Sega CD games, so you don't actually need a Sega CD. Or just run Sega CD games off the SD.

Unfortunately Kevtris has already stated in recent interviews that Sega CD or 32X clones are not likely to happen. So while it's interesting to wonder, I wouldn't go reaching too far.

You can't just have a CD drive included and expect the CD titles to work. There is extra hardware in the Sega CD, such as an added 68000, more memory and extra video and sound hardware. All that needs to be replicated if a hardware clone was to exist, and that's easier said than done.

Of course, a software emulation box with a disc drive is an option, but a modded original XBOX already does that.

• Like 2

An original XBOX is not a bad compromise at all if you are OK with emulation. It does all three very well and it will even read original Sega CD discs if you absolutely want to use the original media.

Unfortunately Kevtris has already stated in recent interviews that Sega CD or 32X clones are not likely to happen. So while it's interesting to wonder, I wouldn't go reaching too far.

You can't just have a CD drive included and expect the CD titles to work. There is extra hardware in the Sega CD, such as an added 68000, more memory and extra video and sound hardware. All that needs to be replicated if a hardware clone was to exist, and that's easier said than done.

Of course, a software emulation box with a disc drive is an option, but a modded original XBOX already does that.

Yeah the disc drive emulation box seems to be taken care of by the Seedi multi Console system (assuming it gets made). My idea for a all in one is stated above and I think it would probably look similar to a Sega Saturn. Cartridge slot located to the rear and disc drive in front on top. Someone could then make whole compilation (legal licensed versions) of original genesis games played off discs. I really wish someone would do a system like this..... P.S. Really doesn't need to be FPGA. Plenty of decent hardware clones that could be adapted to such a system.

Seedi multi Console system (assuming it gets made).

lol, that thing was an off the shelf $20 USB dvd drive stuffed with a Raspberry Pi and marked up an additional $100.

PCs have taken care of CD based system emulation for years now. You can put together a much nicer setup on your own than any overpriced crowd funded nonsense project will offer. There's tons of emulation front ends to choose from, go nuts.

lol, that thing was an off the shelf $20 USB dvd drive stuffed with a Raspberry Pi and marked up an additional $100.

PCs have taken care of CD based system emulation for years now. You can put together a much nicer setup on your own than any overpriced crowd funded nonsense project will offer. There's tons of emulation front ends to choose from, go nuts.

True. But while you, me and the great majority of people on this forum could throw a Orange Pi and disc system together for gaming, a consumer friendly option would probably go over pretty well. There's a business opportunity staring you right in the face :-)

• Like 1

True. But while you, me and the great majority of people on this forum could throw a Orange Pi and disc system together for gaming, a consumer friendly option would probably go over pretty well. There's a business opportunity staring you right in the face :-)

Are we talking about making new hardware? As in, the real deal? That's a lot of dough. I seem to remember a quote (this was something I read a long time ago and my memory may be foggy) that the Flashback 2 cost about a quarter mil to get working.

The question is, could costs be covered (forget profit) by crowd funding? If you had tried and true people who had the time and interest, as well as respect within the community, then I believe it could work.

That isn't me by the way. :D

It's not really possible to do that.

Speculating back and forth, a FPGA Mega NT would likely support running the 32X, but you'd still need analog output from the 32X. When you add the SegaCD into it, it becomes too complicated just from timing variables. This is why you've never seen the 32X or Sega CD drive get any kind of re-issue, despite the Genesis III and other licenced clones having no problem dealing with the core system.

However, adding a "Sega CD" expansion port to a theoretical MegaNT is actually more doable than the 32X. But doing so is kinda fruitless since you don't want to use an original unit (they can catch fire, and require various mounting brackets) and are slow. What you instead want is to have a USAP (USB SCSI Protocol basically) connected disc that rips the game, not plays it directly. Some kind of "SegaCD Brain" that you could store the images on, or licence directly from Sega to stick in the cartridge slot would solve that and have it's own FGPA re-implementation of the rest of the SegaCD minus the physical drive. Kinda like a MSU-1 for the Mega drive.

The 32X is harder to deal with and while I think it's within reach of current generations of FPGA's, it certainly would not be worth doing unless the Saturn was also being considered due to the overlap in part requirements. That's just all we need, is an add-on for the FPGA MegaNT that costs more than the original consoles combined.

Hence you'd end up with basically a "SegaCD" module or a "32X/Saturn" module, while using the base MegaNT for it's upscaling ability.

But this is putting the cart way ahead of the horse. It's more likely that a SD2SNES style cartridge slot addon would be created to run the SegaCD software if such a FPGA Mega Drive were to become available rather than trying to get any real drive to work. It's basically impossible to play a game built for a 1X/2X cd/dvd drive on a PC without first ripping it to the machine, so you may as well just rip it properly, or convince sega to make "virtual console" style images of their software to use on it.

Like my feeling here is that SEGA would love any free money it could get from licencing software it has, and since they don't make their own hardware, they really have no excuse not to short of going "Sorry we already licenced that to X company, ask them"

Well it appears that at least to a certain extent your dreams have come true...... A FPGA based Genesis is already out there,

. It uses a DE-10 Nano kit FPGA. Downloads of a Genesis core can be found in the video description along with some basic directions. Haven't gone much further checking it out than that. Check it out and see what you think. Maybe someone can ask Kevtris what he thinks and any input he might have such as controllers and fine tuning.

Well it appears that at least to a certain extent your dreams have come true...... A FPGA based Genesis is already out there,

. It uses a DE-10 Nano kit FPGA. Downloads of a Genesis core can be found in the video description along with some basic directions. Haven't gone much further checking it out than that. Check it out and see what you think. Maybe someone can ask Kevtris what he thinks and any input he might have such as controllers and fine tuning.

A DIY project is not complete project. The DE-10 is a stand-alone SoC, so that gives the developer a bit more flexibility of what they want to simulate in the FPGA and what they emulate in software (eg storage devices) but the MiSTer project is something that is incomplete at best.

Obviously not a complete solution but it does offer a look at something that someone could mess with now if so desired. Not sure how the core in the analogue Nt or super nt is implemented but wonder if the FPGAGen could be ported to that and put on the DE-10? Anyone with a few extra dollars and some time on their hands wanna order one of these things and report back I'd love to hear all about it.

Well I guess I will have to hope that Analogue produces a Analogue St next. So I hereby ask everyone to go out a buy two Super nts so that the company will be successful enough to make a Sega Genesis version ;)

Now you've got me wanting an Analogue Atari ST....

Can anyone report how clear the image out of the Super NT is? S-video out of the SNES always had a "looking through a milk glass" kind of appearance to me.

Obviously not a complete solution but it does offer a look at something that someone could mess with now if so desired. Not sure how the core in the analogue Nt or super nt is implemented but wonder if the FPGAGen could be ported to that and put on the DE-10? Anyone with a few extra dollars and some time on their hands wanna order one of these things and report back I'd love to hear all about it.

In theory, anything from MiSTer could be ported to the Analogue Super NT if kevtris documents it. Only the SoC is different (the SoC in the DE10 is a reasonably powered ARM core, the microcontroller in the Super NT is a PIC32) which is just powerful enough to do what it needs to do. That said, the point of the Super NT is to try and replicate the Super Nintendo as accurately as possible.

In theory, if it were documented, you could plug in a cheap ARM SoC+USB ports needed, and a custom firmware and you'd get all the MiSTer cores. The Super NT would do all the FPGA hardware and HDMI.