IGNORED

Gameboy emulator?

Video

Probably the wrong word, but I was looking for a ROM cart to put lots of games on and run into this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079L6JJKY/ref=mp_s_a_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1518254872&sr=8-27&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=gameboy+console

Its a redone GBA, and I like the old school DMG form factor. It doesn't play actual carts (I don't think) but you can put more games in it with SD cards.

Anyone got one? GBA is old enough it should emulate pretty well. Will it play DMG or color games? And as a music and video player that's a nice bonus.

GBA are easy to come by, and I got half a dozen or so myself, some modded, so I don't need one, but at $60 I think its a good deal, unless their just absolute shit or something.

I have one of those.

It's super cute but the emulator is not perfect. The Amazon reviews are overly lenient. Lots of stuttering in side scrollers and some games just don't work. It comes with 40 games onboard and a 8GB microSD with hundreds of ROMs included. The menu is slow so you will want to remove most of the games from the SD to make it more usable.

I haven't been able to convert pre-GBA games that work on it, but there's a YouTube of someone doing it with Goomba. The Dingnoonity forums have some talk of alternative firmware, but since this uses an old/slow CPU, that seems unlikely.

It uses the same screen as the GBA Micro. No cartridge port.

Not shit, but not a replacement for real hardware, either. Here's a rundown of the negative aspects:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gameboy/comments/7n49cg/retromini_coolboy_rs90_gba_clone_thingy_got_mine/

Glad you spoke up I couldn't remember who had bought that thing. I was tempted, but without someone making a sad effort to make new firmware for it so it runs as nice as the parts could allow it's really just not worth it sadly at least for the price. Maybe if it were 1/2 as much and was a little more stable perhaps RPGs and Tetris would be fine.

Seems odd that it can't run GB or GBC games. If it's just an emulator box, why leave out those obvious systems? In fact, why leave out any old system? Is there a reason it can't play Game Gear, Master System, Mega Drive, Lynx,TG16, NES, or Atari 2600 games?

It can run NES and Genesis ROMs, and possibly SNES, but the screen is GBA resolution and the CPU is old and weak. Buttons are reversed when you play NES. It's fine for slow GBA games like Pokémon.

Seems odd that it can't run GB or GBC games. If it's just an emulator box, why leave out those obvious systems? In fact, why leave out any old system? Is there a reason it can't play Game Gear, Master System, Mega Drive, Lynx,TG16, NES, or Atari 2600 games?

If it's the thing I'm thinking of, it's because the GBA runs through an ARM SoC. The same SoC let's it play mp3's and such.

Oh, its a gameboy micro? I'll probably pass. Don't get me wrong, gameboy micro screens are wonderful, but my eyeballs are no longer up to that.

One thing, the description says it has an E reader, that's cool, I have the 13 us released games for that, but the explanation overview doesn't list it, so I guess its just emulated. Don't know how much ram the Ereader can handle, but that should let it play at least the smaller NES games.