IGNORED

Microvision replacement screen project - pre-order & purchase here

5-11under

Current status (20-Feb-2021):

I'm sending out PMs to those who have expressed interest. I'm doing this in the order that people responded.

Initial Post (mostly) (10-Feb-2018):

As many of you are aware, the Microvision by Milton Bradley is notorious for something people have called "screen rot", where the LCD screen becomes dark and unusable. Unfortunately, this effect is all too common. A fix for these would hopefully bring back to life these interesting and (I think) fun handheld systems.

It took a few months or so, but I was finally able to get a couple of quotes for replacement LCD screens for the Microvision. These are intended to be drop-in replacements for existing screens.

There's a number of costs related to this project. Some are known, such as engineering cost and production cost, and some are unknown, such as customs and duty, and shipping parts to me. Therefore, I've come up with some maximum prices in US dollars (shipping not included):

• Quantity 1: $22.00
  • Quantity 2+: $20.50 each
  • Quantity 4+: $19.00 each
  • Quantity 8+: $17.50 each
  • [initial orders will probably be in the $17-$19 range each, regardless of quantity ordered (1+). This is because I'll be able to work on a bunch of orders one after the other, which will save time. Price later might be a few dollars more to account for time spent packaging single orders. Note that the exact price is to be determined, based on actual costs that I incur for the project].

I should mention that once you've bought and received your replacement screens, they're yours to do whatever you want with them... resell them at any price you see fit, put them in systems and sell those at any price you see fit, keep them on your shelf to look at, etc.

FAQ:

1. Will the new screens be susceptible to screen rot? They shouldn't be. These will be brand new displays, built to high standards. We're used to the Microvision display being very poor, but most or nearly all other small LCD displays work well for many, many years.

2. What is the operating and storage temperature of the display. Operating Range: 0C to +50C. Storage Range: -10C to +60C.

3. Are the Zebra connectors (that connect the LCD screen to the board) reusable? Yes. They tend to stick a bit when they've been connected for a long time, but they seem to be robust in their ability to connect well with repeated use.

4. Are there installation instructions? Is it easy to install? Here are some pictures of disassembly of a Microvision (re-assembly is basically the reverse, although the front  and back polarizer and reflector is not required). The green pad is still used, and the contact strips are still used. It's fairly easy, although sometimes the wires and other parts like to move around a bit, so plan on 20 minutes for a full upgrade.

• Like 12

This is awesome,but I just have a couple of questions before I say yes:

1. When you say "drop in",just how easy are these to replace? Is there any soldering iron involved to get these new screens installed?

2. Would these LCDs have a longer life than the originals? Are they made with the same materials or something that would have a longer lifespan? I'm asking because I'd need to know if I'm buying a replacement for the replacement as well, or if it's even worthwhile to get a spare if it would be the same lifespan.

Also, awesome that you are doing this. I've been living with a microvision emulator since my screen died.

• Like 1

1. When you say "drop in",just how easy are these to replace? Is there any soldering iron involved to get these new screens installed?

2. Would these LCDs have a longer life than the originals? Are they made with the same materials or something that would have a longer lifespan? I'm asking because I'd need to know if I'm buying a replacement for the replacement as well, or if it's even worthwhile to get a spare if it would be the same lifespan.

1. Going from memory, remove about 10 screws, place the LCD in position, including the reflector and polarizer, and put everything back together. It can sometimes be a bit tricky to put everything back together in the correct spot, but it's not too bad. When I get a chance, I'll post some pictures of what would need to be done.

2. The LCDs will be new. They should last much longer than the originals... as long as any other LCD you have that isn't in a Microvision.

I'm thinking 4 or 5 depending on the price break.

How difficult is it to switch out? Will it have a longer lifespan and heat tolerance than the original?

The maximum prices are shown. Shall I put you down for 4, or something else? Please let me know. You can always adjust that number later on if the price ends up going down based on overall quantity pre-ordered.

I'll get more info on the switch out. I'll look into temperature specs, too... I've put these on my to-do list.

Lifespan should be the same as other LCDs (besides the original Microvisone ones, of course).

• Like 1

The maximum prices are shown. Shall I put you down for 4, or something else? Please let me know. You can always adjust that number later on if the price ends up going down based on overall quantity pre-ordered.

I'll get more info on the switch out. I'll look into temperature specs, too... I've put these on my to-do list.

Lifespan should be the same as other LCDs (besides the original Microvisone ones, of course).

You can put me down for 4. If there was another technology that was going to last longer, even if it looked different, I would be interested.

I'm super excited you are doing this, providing the upgrade is feasible.

• Like 1