IGNORED

Microvision replacement screen project - pre-order & purchase here

5-11under

He has stated many times that its an issue with time for him and that he will be doing them when he can.

He ran into issues i believe with the level of saturation on the screens and it made the project more complicated having to deal wuth that.

• Like 1

I've followed this thread for a while now. I've read every update. Since he is the person who started the thread, and got everyone's hopes up, I would hope that he would give at least semi-regular updates on progress. In May he said it was getting to the top of history list. His next post said nothing meaningful for the project. Prior to his May post he was working out some bugs with the manufacturer. Even if it's the project is one hold for the next 3 month or such just to let the people who wish to support the project know something. Otherwise, dont say your going to make something to release to the public, ask for feedback and then dont give updates. It's a courtesy to your followers thing not a demand for a product thing. Thanks but unless your running the project for him, I'll take his updates as gospel. Have a nice day.

Ok, but he took no money so he will do it as he is able. He owes us nothing for trying to make these. Asking over and over has no point other than maybe taking more of his time. If these happen great. I would wish nothing more than him saying they are done and will start shipping tomorrow. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 2:47 AM, polyex said:

I hope no one bought a Microvision on ebay or wherever thinking they could get a replacement screen from this April fools joke of a thread!

Meh. Stuff happens in life. I understand if somebody experiences some disappointment about this not moving ahead. But no money taken, no promises broken. There are other ways to skin this cat.

If you happen to be sitting on a pile of spare money, you might be able to ease the pain of making it happen. I know I'd appreciate being able to revive a couple of dead units I own.

I'm undecided as to whether a sudden increase in the number of working units would damage the value of my working units, or raise enough interest in the Microvision to increase the demand thereby increasing the value of all of my units. The ones with the new screen might even end up being worth more than the ones with the original, functioning displays. Then again, I don't buy this stuff as an investment, so I guess it doesn't matter.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

would it be possible to buy one of the not quite perfect prototype units or at least get the specs, that info is impossible to find where ive looked so far.  if they preform like the demo picture shows i wouldn't think it as an issue even if it needs an extra resistor or two to work since i barely noticed the shadow even after it was pointed out, ive seen worse on completely functional LCD's of the era, gameboy and things like that

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, nickle241 said:

would it be possible to buy one of the not quite perfect prototype units or at least get the specs, that info is impossible to find where ive looked so far.  if they preform like the demo picture shows i wouldn't think it as an issue even if it needs an extra resistor or two to work since i barely noticed the shadow even after it was pointed out, ive seen worse on completely functional LCD's of the era, gameboy and things like that

Glen has resources that can help get this done, just need the specs. 

On 3/24/2020 at 12:16 PM, thevnaguy said:

Glen has resources that can help get this done, just need the specs. 

Does Glen have access to a Microvision LCD? I imagine that's where 5-11 started. It seems unlikely that there is a set of published specifications from back in the day that anyone could work from. 

Not that 5-11 couldn't share what he's learned through his original research, but I don't feel like he has any real obligation to do so.

Hi all, here's an update on what's happening (or not happening)...

Here's the steps I need to follow:

1. Make contact again with the company I've been dealing with

2. Send them a Microvision so they can evaluate, and optimize the screen for

3. Wait for them to evaluate and optimize (possibly additional steps if they need to send me more samples)

4. Send them money

5. Wait for product

6. Test product

7. Sell product

What I'm going to do, so this doesn't drag on forever, without closure, is to set a deadline. It's not a hard and fast deadline, because although this project is important and good, it will never be anywhere near my first priority in life, especially these days. The deadline also doesn't cover all the steps, either (for instance to get to step #7 by a certain fixed date), because many of the steps are outside of my control, and could easily vary greatly. The deadline I will hold to is to make sure to do anything required by me within one week. For instance, if all goes well in my world, I will contact the company before April 7 (although hopefully within a day or two). If they have questions for me, same thing: I will answer within a week (hopefully a lot less). Ditto for sending them money, testing product, etc.

When the time comes for me to send them money, I'll evaluate my current situation, and we'll see if I need any support for that. I really prefer not to accept money too far in advance, because we all know how that often turns out, and I don't need that stress for myself, either.

In all this, I'll also do my best to keep you posted on the status. Current status: I need to do step #1.

Cheers, and I hope this post finds you all well and safe.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2