IGNORED

Microvision replacement screen project - pre-order & purchase here

5-11under

Cool. I missed reading that.

I never found an LCD module that I thought I could mount in a Microvision easily. So I didn't pursue it, but thought about a replacement controller/LCD module as a solution to the dead LCD issue.

I did once wire up a relatively huge, square aspect ratio LCD out of some toy to a Microvision. At about 3"x3", maybe bigger, it had 5 times the resolution. I tied together each 5 adjacent row and 5 column contacts to create 5x5 pixel groupings.

Apparently the LCD doesn't take much current as the uVision controller drove that LCD.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

I saw something somewhere a while back where it was suggested you could use aluminum foil on your Microvision to improve the screen, but can no longer find the video or post. Anyone remember what this is about?

Sometimes.

Sometimes the reflector gets corroded, and needs replacing. Usually that's not the only problem, but it could be.

27 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

I saw something somewhere a while back where it was suggested you could use aluminum foil on your Microvision to improve the screen, but can no longer find the video or post. Anyone remember what this is about?

this doesnt sound real, but it would be nice if it were, the lcd degrading has something to do with the shoddy manufacture and sealing of the original crystal material, it might be able to increase the brightness by acting as a reflector, that might have helped years ago, but unless you do something chemical/electrical with it i dont see how that would do any good now that they have degraded as far as they have now

edit: can confirm, the stock reflector is also crap, mine was nearly a flat dark grey instead of metallic, sadly the lcd is still shot regardless, but an interesting detail to find.  also apparently the lcd pattern is still visible and mostly intact within the screen even though its not any good anymore

Edited by nickle241

I'm so happy to hear this project is back up and running!  I never had a MV (was too expensive when I was a child) and the one I snagged has the screen rot.  To make things worse, you can't even find a working one on Ebay, unless you're willing to pay top dollar for one.

Can't wait to finally realize my childhood dream of owning and playing one of these babies!  :)  I'm down for 2 screens!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that is what it does, but the problem was the new LCDs aren't dark enough even at the darkest setting.

I believe he said they would work if you replace a resistor (or one little component), and I'm starting to think he should just offer that option now.  Keep working toward a drop-in replacement, but for those of us that can solder a single device I'd like to get my Microvisions working again no matter what.  Unless the company really thinks they can easily fix it, just bring on the extra work!  I just want them working again...  :)

• Like 3