IGNORED

Microvision replacement screen project - pre-order & purchase here

5-11under

10 hours ago, Rik1138 said:

The games are dumped and emulated in MAME...  Someone has even created a replacement chip (FPGA I think) that can fit in a cartridge and 'emulate' the original CPU, and I believe even wrote a new (simple) game for the system.

Trying to find the links to all of that, it's been a while...

What is the initial cost for something like this?  Let's say you were going to place an order for 250 screens, what would that cost upfront to make happen?  (Just a ball-park figure, even the manufacturers should be able to at least give you a rough estimate...)

The vague costs so far that I'm seeing are a minimum of 500 units at 1-3 with tooling costs of 1k.

8 minutes ago, rwburbage@msn.com said:

I just don't see any point to any of this.  How else are you going to get the message out to the very people that are interested in getting new screens that have Notify me of replies checked.

I have to agree with you. I see how it may come across as a little crappy to piggyback off of another person's project. But, at the same time, this project was stalled, and probably has a third of all people still interested in the Microvision subscribed to the thread. This thread- and the hope attached to it- make it feel like a last chance effort to get replacement screens en-masse.

Sometimes people need to jump at an opportunity before it's gone forever.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mikebola said:

I have to agree with you. I see how it may come across as a little crappy to piggyback off of another person's project. But, at the same time, this project was stalled, and probably has a third of all people still interested in the Microvision subscribed to the thread. This thread- and the hope attached to it- make it feel like a last chance effort to get replacement screens en-masse.

Sometimes people need to jump at an opportunity before it's gone forever.

I re-read that comment a few times and couldn't figure out where he was coming from.   Nobody is trying to steal a project.  511 took it very far and it was his motivation that started my interest in continuing.  If we could get his contact info as the replacement units have already been designed.   The project may have been a low priority with the extreme funding up front and the relativing low initial sales and sitting on the rest of the units.

I want to see this project move forward and There is obvious interest. We can start another thread. So far no one has messaged me for funding or partnership. I’m not going to be able to provide anything except funding and maybe some possible interest in coding a new game. I know nothing about the hardware. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ziggystar said:

I want to see this project move forward and There is obvious interest. We can start another thread. So far no one has messaged me for funding or partnership. I’m not going to be able to provide anything except funding and maybe some possible interest in coding a new game. I know nothing about the hardware. 

I was getting ready to send a message.   I'm up for the sponsorship.  That was my main issue with it moving forward. 

So, nothing from 5-11?   Hmmm.   My thoughts are keeping it in this thread so everyone interested can follow.  So, to recap where it's at is both suppliers want a working unit to reverse eng the LCD screens.  That's the best way in MO.    They can work out any problems that arise that a build spec created by me, might miss.   From the last spring 20 posts from 511, it seemed to have an issue with the contrast not being dark enough and he was/or is sending a unit to evaluate.  Nothing after that.

Right. I don’t have a working unit and those are getting really hard to find! That said I would propose we work on a drop in replacement (obviously with a longer lifespan) vs going with any thing above and beyond like backlighting. At least at first. Eventually all the lcds on these machines will be dead. If they need a working example to make a new one, we need to get this project going sooner than later. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ziggystar said:

Right. I don’t have a working unit and those are getting really hard to find! That said I would propose we work on a drop in replacement (obviously with a longer lifespan) vs going with any thing above and beyond like backlighting. At least at first. Eventually all the lcds on these machines will be dead. If they need a working example to make a new one, we need to get this project going sooner than later. 

Ok, I'll make contact with the suppliers and get the exact cost details ironed out.  One supplier needs tooling monies up front, the other didn't mention money up front, just send a working unit.

I don't see any reason to not continue this thread until SOMEONE has a replacement screen in production.  Then maybe start a new sale thread (not interest, but SALE), that way you can see who is still interested after all this time.  :)

But it's not like we doing this secretly...  The thread is here for all to see, if 5-11 actually cared, he's more than welcome to jump and let us know his plans.

One of his last posts was writing up a DETAILED timeline of what he wants to do.  This week contact manufacturer, next week send unit, once unit received, x-weeks to get it working...  Etc.

I think he got to step two and disappeared.  So he's officially abandoned his own project as far as I can tell, so there's nothing wrong with someone else grabbing the reins and moving forward...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, stupus said:

But dont forget if he is shipping an item to china or somewhere far away that can take up to 2-3 months in this environment. 

Also a very rare working unit could easily die during shipping :(

We can get the unit to them faster and safer. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 1:45 AM, Shawn said:

It's very underhanded to be trying to make the exact same thing as 5-11 and openly discuss taking the ball and running with it for your own ends right in the guys own thread. I mean come on, you could at least start your own thread somewhere else right? I get it you don't like that he's not produced a bunch of these yet even though he did show working protos back in 2018 but that doesn't give anyone the right to come in and say they are gonna do it instead and will sell to the same people that 5-11 had down as interested. 

Well perhaps 5-11 could be better with updates.  Then people could know if its happening or not. Also this other person has reached out but again no response.  Give the guy a break.  Int not loke hes stealing a million dollar business deal from 5-11

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ziggystar said:

We can get the unit to them faster and safer. 

Ok,  minor update on the process.  I'm still getting information from the 2 potential suppliers to be able to select one to work with.  The supplier that I prefer is already a supplier for the retro LCD screens for the Game Boy monochrome and color units.   Those are much more complicated and have a custom display IC on the flex cable.  So this microvision LCD project should be a slam dunk.   But, I still can't get any estimates on the costs.  The contact is adamant about getting the units first to evaluate.  So, stay tuned as these details get ironed out...

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 12:19 AM, stupus said:

But dont forget if he is shipping an item to china or somewhere far away that can take up to 2-3 months in this environment. 

Also a very rare working unit could easily die during shipping :(

His last post with information was April 21st:

Mini update because my deadline is up... I did some investigation into shipping prices to China - the conclusion is that all methods are expensive. Anyway, the plan is to send this out tonight.

That's FOUR months.  He was logged into the forum 12 hours ago.  He's either ignoring the thread completely, or seemingly no longer has an interest or he would have at least popped in to tell us what's up with the system he shipped April 21st (assuming we actually followed through with his plan).

That was HIS OWN deadline, that he dictated so "this doesn't drag on forever".  And he made it clear that this was not even remotely a priority in his life, so I don't see that he would have any issue with someone jumping in that can just get it done...

Edited by Rik1138
  • Like 1

I agree he is not 1 for communication.

Just saying some stuff is taking months to ship and these original units can die at a pin drop.

Anyone that can make this happen before there are none left working is certainly appreciated.

If you are going to ship 1 i would do it by express, thats the only service they are still guaranteeing delivery on.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be good for four of these screens. Prefer non backlit, just to get the ball rolling asap.

To rwburbage, I seen your listing on ebay before I found this forum. Blew right past it due to the price. (shame on me, but now I'm your 17th watcher) 

I'm wondering if you're considering the funding offer from Mean Hamster, if that's still on the table.

This system didn't get much love back in the day, but I would assume MB sold at least a half million of these.

There has got to be 500 out there just waiting for a new screen. I say ebay is the perfect vehicle to move them, too.

Keep us posted.

• Like 1

The Microvision LCD screen project is still moving forward.

A supplier has been selected from a group of about 7.  It took some time back and forth with basic details and costs for the replacement LCD screens.  With the MV units, the supplier will be able to test whether these original screens are of the TN or STN type.  The STN type would be better for a wider viewing angle.   It's a matter of whether the controller chip is compatible.    The backlighting unit will be separate and optional.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/224090610358 I put the ebay price high so the unit would not be purchased yet but at least be seen to spark interest.  Once the samples arrive, testing is finished, and all the details worked out, the production units will be built.   The build should take about 2-4 weeks to build after that.

At this point, I'll try to stick with the funding.  It would be very difficult to manage inventory, costs, and final distribution or support issues from 2 locations.  I have several MV units to test with.  When the samples arrive,  I can beat them up to make sure they work well for everyone.

Test units have been sent out to be reproduced.  My guess is the next update to be around 3-4 weeks.

Edited by rwburbage@msn.com
typos and more info
  • Like 1

Thanks for the update. I have 3 units (2 functional) and am in for at least 3 screens. I agree with tg517 - there are many units that only need a screen to restore them to a playable state. 

I had one when I was a kid - didn’t keep it :(. Having grown up during that time, it is my opinion that the storage/transport requirements kept this awesome game from staying out-front in the portable game marketplace. Unlike today, no one was offering accessories like padded carry cases targeted at portable video games. As I recall, the MV won’t fit in the typical camera case of the era.   

• Like 1

Not so sure viewing angle is really a huge concern on these...  You aren't really going to be playing them with a group of angled on-lookers, and even alone you have it right in front of your face for the most part...  And the screen is recessed quite a bit as it is...

If STN will work, no complaints there, but I don't think it's really something we have to strive for.

Would that involve a price difference?

• Like 2