IGNORED

Microvision replacement screen project - pre-order & purchase here

5-11under

• 2 weeks later...

The units were shipped out.  They arrived quickly.  The displays were not working.  They described them as "rainbowed".

Bummer.  They are so temp sensitive.  The electronics are fine.

They are working on designing the new displays now.   They will test the samples in the 2 provided units before they send samples.

The big issue is building the separate backlight unit.  We can't figure out how it was done in the pics 511under posted.

Maybe 511under could share some info on that.  There isn't enough room in the LCD cavity for both.  Maybe it's lit from the sides.

The plan is to build LCD's with about 50% backlight units.  Not everyone wants one.  I do.  It will help in both bright and dim lighting. Still will have to work out how much drain the BL will be. 

I also making new contacts for these.  This will make it easy to install 2 additional contacts is the later units with single batteries in case of the drain being high.

Remember when these MV units were made,  the 9V batts had a very low MaH rating compared to today.  I've been able to play MV blockout for quite a while with little drain on an energizer.

I remember playing Mattel Football and the batteries not lasting very long before the game went nuts.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, rwburbage@msn.com said:

The units were shipped out.  They arrived quickly.  The displays were not working.  They described them as "rainbowed".

They are working on designing the new displays now.   They will test the samples in the 2 provided units before they send samples.

The big issue is building the separate backlight unit.  We can't figure out how it was done in the pics 511under posted.

Maybe 511under could share some info on that.  There isn't enough room in the LCD cavity for both.  Maybe it's lit from the sides.

The plan is to build LCD's with about 50% backlight units.  Not everyone wants one.  I do.  It will help in both bright and dim lighting. Still will have to work out how much drain the BL will be. 

I also making new contacts for these.  This will make it easy to install 2 additional contacts is the later units with single batteries in case of the drain being high.

Remember when these MV units were made,  the 9V batts had a very low MaH rating compared to today.  I've been able to play MV blockout for quite a while with little drain on an energizer.

I remember playing Mattel Football and the batteries not lasting very long before the game went nuts.

im assuming the backlight in question would be of the luminous film type, or whatever its called so its quite thin and since not all the original polarizers are needed anymore that frees up some space for a thin backlight sheet, but its nice to see this finally moving again, the one ive got is in the typical state of totally shot and its really no surprise the samples didnt survive shipping, they seems to have been quite sensitive even new and its only gotten worse

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rwburbage@msn.com said:

Where did you see pics from 511 that had backlights?  I don't think that was even discussed before you joined the conversation.  He was just making straight LCD replacements...

I've never seen a picture of a backlight of any kind for Microvision yet...

13 minutes ago, rwburbage@msn.com said:

I just saw that website today. I was blown away the cartridge detail when all the work they went into it. They even had the keys labeled and new stickers put on the cartridge. It was really a great job.

Ot would be great to see a surge of homebrews come out somehow  once these dead units are back up and running.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rwburbage@msn.com said:

Do you already have a rough idea of how much a replacement screen might cost and how easy/complicated it will be to install it? I would definitely take two, depending on the price maybe three, all backlit if the brightness can be controlled and turned off completely.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 3:15 AM, dantist said:

Do you already have a rough idea of how much a replacement screen might cost and how easy/complicated it will be to install it? I would definitely take two, depending on the price maybe three, all backlit if the brightness can be controlled and turned off completely.

The screen will install exactly the same way the original one did. The costs are still up in the air until they actually make one test it out.  Then create a batch of samples to further test in the 2 units provided.  Then they will quote exact pricing.

Edited by rwburbage@msn.com
more info

On 9/16/2020 at 8:35 PM, rwburbage@msn.com said:

I found the pics in his posts. I tried to do a quick search but there are so many posts I couldn't find it quick enough.

I think that was just the photos of the prototype LCDs.  I've been following this thread since the beginning, and the first mention I recall of backlighting was from you on July 22nd.

5-11 had some assembly photos posted here, but it was just the LCD itself, no lighting.

There's a piece of foam behind the LCD it looks like (been a while since I took one apart), could that be replaced with a very thin EL sheet?

(And it wouldn't need the reflective piece either...)

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/275386-microvision-replacement-screen-project-pre-order-purchase-here/?do=findComment&comment=4028998

Edited by Rik1138
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rik1138 said:

There's a piece of foam behind the LCD it looks like (been a while since I took one apart), could that be replaced with a very thin EL sheet?

(And it wouldn't need the reflective piece either...)

Wouldn't that require an inverter? I'm not sure where it would fit in the microvision chassis, but I'd really love an aqua colored EL backlight.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, and of course power drain...  How big are EL inverters these days?  There's some room inside the MV on either side of the battery area (and I think under the circuit board too if it's thin enough).  Hell, it could even take up the 'spare battery' space, unless we need that extra battery now to power the light.  :)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, towmater said:

What's going on here? I came back one last time to click on "Ignore This Thread" only to find that there is hope yet. Is this thread still acting as an order-of-interest list?

Not sure what you mean. But someone else is making strides to have a screen replacement and possible built in light. If you were already aware of that disregard my comment 

• Like 1

There's been a huge setback. ? The 2 units sent to the supplier were "rainbowed" on arrival. ?  One unit was barely working when it left and the other unit had a very clear LCD with no sign of leaks.  Both were DOA upon opening.

They can't replicate the LCD unless they have a working unit to test.   I've confirmed that with 3 different suppliers, unless you can completely spec it out for them to build.  They all require at least 2 samples and the device if possible.

The next step is to send the last working LCD by itself somehow protected from not only temperature but pressure changes.  Cargo holds have extremes of both.   I'll talk with a DHL rep to see if they have packing suggestions. ? ?

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, rwburbage@msn.com said:

There's been a huge setback. ? The 2 units sent to the supplier were "rainbowed" on arrival. ?  One unit was barely working when it left and the other unit had a very clear LCD with no sign of leaks.  Both were DOA upon opening.

They can't replicate the LCD unless they have a working unit to test.   I've confirmed that with 3 different suppliers, unless you can completely spec it out for them to build.  They all require at least 2 samples and the device if possible.

The next step is to send the last working LCD by itself somehow protected from not only temperature but pressure changes.  Cargo holds have extremes of both.   I'll talk with a DHL rep to see if they have packing suggestions. ? ?

Sorry to hear that.  Never thought about the air pressure effecting them. 

16 hours ago, rwburbage@msn.com said:

?

I wonder if a suitable pressure vessel could be made from PVC pipe and fittings, and maybe a schrader valve designed to be fit into an alloy wheel. Though, it might not even require much, if any additional pressurization beyond the captured atmosphere. 4"(?) PVC could surely withstand an atmosphere of differential air pressure. Just a thought.

Edited by BigO
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BigO said:

?

I wonder if a suitable pressure vessel could be made from PVC pipe and fittings, and maybe a schrader valve designed to be fit into an alloy wheel. Though, it might not even require much, if any additional pressurization beyond the captured atmosphere. 4"(?) PVC could surely withstand an atmosphere of differential air pressure. Just a thought.

Sounds like it might work.   I'm not sure what happened.   Just both LCDs leaked out.