IGNORED

Microvision replacement screen project - pre-order & purchase here

5-11under

21 hours ago, rwburbage@msn.com said:

They can't replicate the LCD unless they have a working unit to test.

I wonder why that is. They have a working device, other than the display, so can imperically determine all of the attributes of the signals being applied to the LCD: voltage, frequency of state changes, polarity reversal, etc. Other than current draw, I'd think everything is right there. But, I'm not an LCD engineer.

I've connected up LCD's out of other toys (not suitable for putting in the console) and they seemed to work fine, so I doubt there's any super-magical-secret-sauce involved. It may just be that the technology has changed so much that nobody knows how to duplicate the old methods.

In China, surely the necessary reverse engineering skills could be found. That level of work might be prohibitively expensive though.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BigO said:

I wonder why that is. They have a working device, other than the display, so can imperically determine all of the attributes of the signals being applied to the LCD: voltage, frequency of state changes, polarity reversal, etc. Other than current draw, I'd think everything is right there. But, I'm not an LCD engineer.

I've connected up LCD's out of other toys (not suitable for putting in the console) and they seemed to work fine, so I doubt there's any super-magical-secret-sauce involved. It may just be that the technology has changed so much that nobody knows how to duplicate the old methods.

In China, surely the necessary reverse engineering skills could be found. That level of work might be prohibitively expensive though.

Maybe just to get them working first time...  But yeah, 5-11 had new LCDs manufactured without ever sending a Microvision.  They didn't work perfectly (wrong contrast range), so he was going to send them a unit for testing.  But they were able to make them first...

I've had many Microvisions shipped overseas, and of those many, a fair number of them worked.  It's hard to say exactly what makes these things fail, especially quickly like that...

But they could at least start the glass manufacturing.  I assume (although I don't fully understand what makes an LCD work in different contrast ranges) that the change would have to be the chemical makeup of the LCD liquid...

This is probably also the simplest LCD every.  It's literally one glass design, then you rotate a second piece 90 degrees and stick them together.  And it's just 16 straight lines... 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rik1138 said:

Maybe just to get them working first time...  But yeah, 5-11 had new LCDs manufactured without ever sending a Microvision.  They didn't work perfectly (wrong contrast range), so he was going to send them a unit for testing.  But they were able to make them first...

I've had many Microvisions shipped overseas, and of those many, a fair number of them worked.  It's hard to say exactly what makes these things fail, especially quickly like that...

But they could at least start the glass manufacturing.  I assume (although I don't fully understand what makes an LCD work in different contrast ranges) that the change would have to be the chemical makeup of the LCD liquid...

This is probably also the simplest LCD every.  It's literally one glass design, then you rotate a second piece 90 degrees and stick them together.  And it's just 16 straight lines... 

So you have shipped MV's overseas with no issues.  Puzzling why both were so temp damaged?   Maybe they sat in a hot truck or shipping container??

Yeah, I've shipped a working one from the US to Germany and US to France with no problems, and I've imported them from every country where they were made with different languages on the packaging (UK, France, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands and I think Poland).  I've never received one non-working that was shown to be working before it was shipped...  Although I have received some that were known to be bad that looked a little worse by the time I got them (but that applies even to domestic shipping...).

But I could see that one bad trip in a hot (or humid) truck could do it...  Maybe where I live that 'opportunity' doesn't come up...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rik1138 said:

Yeah, I've shipped a working one from the US to Germany and US to France with no problems, and I've imported them from every country where they were made with different languages on the packaging (UK, France, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands and I think Poland).  I've never received one non-working that was shown to be working before it was shipped...  Although I have received some that were known to be bad that looked a little worse by the time I got them (but that applies even to domestic shipping...).

But I could see that one bad trip in a hot (or humid) truck could do it...  Maybe where I live that 'opportunity' doesn't come up...

Ok, well that tells me more that these LCD units are not so fragile and should have survived.

I've had good luck with cleaning up the contacts around the LCD and the zebra connectors to get a faded line of blocks working better.  That could be worth a try on some of the bad units.   Semichrome polish diluted with isopropyl  alcohol works very well on the thin zinc coating on the contacts to the LCD and the cartridge connector.  That connector reminds me of the nintendo 8bit connector that was famous for going bad.   Remember having to blow on the cartridge before inserting.

On 9/19/2020 at 1:24 PM, BigO said:

?

I wonder if a suitable pressure vessel could be made from PVC pipe and fittings, and maybe a schrader valve designed to be fit into an alloy wheel. Though, it might not even require much, if any additional pressurization beyond the captured atmosphere. 4"(?) PVC could surely withstand an atmosphere of differential air pressure. Just a thought.

That's an awesome idea, but I'm laughing my ass off at the thought of it getting caught in airport security.

Think of this large white capped off tube with a stem sticking out of it...and then they x-ray it and see electronics inside. ? :lol:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Turbo-Torch said:

That's an awesome idea, but I'm laughing my ass off at the thought of it getting caught in airport security.

Think of this large white capped off tube with a stem sticking out of it...and then they x-ray it and see electronics inside. ? :lol:

I am certain that they would immediately recognize that it's just a harmless old Microvision; nothing to worry about.

Really, I kinda pictured it being in a box. But in my scenario, hilarity might not ensue.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, stupus said:

Giant pipe bomb with mysterious unidentified electronics inside.

I'm picturing a full out bomb squad with their robot (extra points for a Tomy Omnibot lol) transporting it to the explosion containment chamber on the tarmac and the poor Microvision getting detonated.

Then an ungodly amount of money is spent on detective work and having forensics reconstruct the "device", only to find it was a 1970s toy that was being sent to the other side of the planet to have a new part made...all so a group of nerds can have theirs working again.  Oh man...and then the details of the pressure vessel to keep the screen from getting depressurized. :lol:

Guaranteed to make international news and there would be a big run on Microvisions and replacement screens!

In all seriousness, that would be a perfect way to transport it as long as it was approved somehow and properly labeled.  Add some insulation around it and get it out during the fall when it's not too hot or cold.

• Haha 1

The Microvision LCD Project is back on track!  ?

Get this!!  Apparently,  when the 2 MV's arrived at the supplier, the entire eng team was OOT on another big project.   So, the project management group went ahead and tried to get the project started.  They tried "many many many times" to get the units powered on.  The said the LCD's were "rainbowed".  They were not working for them so they were about to give up.   For over a week, many disparaging messages went back and forth and the project seemed doomed.  With one final message from the project manager " it is too old lcd for us. "   ?

Then, the eng team got back.  They took over.  Powered everything up fine.  Pulled the LCD's.  Tested the only working LCD unit and the specs were known.  TN type. ? The second LCD unit was toast.  It faded into oblivion. Which was expected.  It was fading before shipment.  What an unbelievable turn of events! ?

So, sample money has been dropped ?, the LCD spec has been created,  drawings made, 2 sample types are being build.   They will drop the sample LCD's into the 2 working MV's electronics for testing.  Then, send some videos.  If everything is acceptable,  samples will be shipped for further testing.

Stay tuned for another exciting episode of...  Are those Microvision LCD's done yet?

Microvision LCD test.jpg

Edited by rwburbage@msn.com
more info
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, rwburbage@msn.com said:

Get this!!  Apparently,  when the 2 MV's arrived at the supplier, the entire eng team was OOT on another big project.   So, the project management group went ahead and tried to get the project started.  They tried "many many many times" to get the units powered on.  The said the LCD's were "rainbowed".  They were not working for them so they were about to give up.   For over a week, many disparaging messages went back and forth and the project seemed doomed.

Then, the eng team got back.  They took over.  Powered everything up fine.  Pulled the LCD's.  Tested the only working LCD unit and the specs were known.  TN type.  The second LCD unit was toast.  It faded into oblivion. Which was expected.  It was fading before shipment.  What an unbelievable turn of events!

So, sample money has been dropped ?, the LCD spec has been created,  drawings made, 2 sample types are being build.   They will drop the sample LCD's into the 2 working MV's electronics for testing.  Then, send some videos.  If everything is acceptable,  samples will be shipped for further testing.

Stay tuned for another exciting episode of...  Are those Microvision LCD's done yet?

thank god, finally good news with progress marks

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, rwburbage@msn.com said:

Get this!!  Apparently,  when the 2 MV's arrived at the supplier, the entire eng team was OOT on another big project.   So, the project management group went ahead and tried to get the project started.  They tried "many many many times" to get the units powered on.  The said the LCD's were "rainbowed".  They were not working for them so they were about to give up.   For over a week, many disparaging messages went back and forth and the project seemed doomed.

Then, the eng team got back.  They took over.  Powered everything up fine.  Pulled the LCD's.  Tested the only working LCD unit and the specs were known.  TN type.  The second LCD unit was toast.  It faded into oblivion. Which was expected.  It was fading before shipment.  What an unbelievable turn of events!

Nice going Richard. Thank you for the update on one unit surviving (partially), thus speeding the project moreso. My anticipation is growing!

• Like 1

Just received a dead (but supposedly working) Microvision yesterday, which prompted me to do a Google search, which brought me to this thread. Reading through this thread has been quite the roller coaster, but I am quite excited that things seem to be looking up! I am definitely interested (either backlit or not)--if it is not too late, put me down for 4.  Thank you for all of your efforts on this!

Edited by MaazFench
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, MaazFench said:

Just received a dead (but supposedly working) Microvision yesterday, which prompted me to do a Google search, which brought me to this thread. Reading through this thread has been quite the roller coaster, but I am quite excited that things seem to be looking up! I am definitely interested (either backlit or not)--if it is not too late, put me down for 4.  Thank you for all of your efforts on this!

You can check you MV electronics with a good battery and the game.  Start pushing the go button until you hears faint beeps from the piezo.   You can test that at least.

6 hours ago, rwburbage@msn.com said:

Microvision LCD test.jpg

As an early supporter of this thread im glad to hear that you made so much progress! Congrats!

• Thanks 1

I remember clearing the blockbuster screen maybe three or four times back in the day. (not an easy task)

If I recall correctly, if you hit the last block as the ball is coming down, it bounces up as the new wall appears,

so the ball goes bananas until it breaks itself out from the top. Man, that's as good as 1979 got if you could pull it off.

• Thanks 1