IGNORED

Microvision replacement screen project - pre-order & purchase here

5-11under

49 minutes ago, rwburbage@msn.com said:

I really don't see the need to create another post and that will just confuse everything.  If you really want me to post elsewhere, let me know.

You need your own thread, because this thread is all about the status and comments regarding my project, and one day my orders, positive and negative feedback, and whatever else comes up. It's more confusing if both projects are in the same thread.

I see you've already made a separate thread, so that's good.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 5-11under said:

You need your own thread, because this thread is all about the status and comments regarding my project, and one day my orders, positive and negative feedback, and whatever else comes up. It's more confusing if both projects are in the same thread.

I see you've already made a separate thread, so that's good.

Ok then, the new thread is over here.    The eBay item for these screens are also over here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/224090610358

• Like 3

A few things if anyone is still here... ;)

1) First of all, sorry for the delays in the project, and lack of updates. In the least, I should have left a quick note. For most of the last half year or so, it seems the best I could do is to get the bare essentials completed, with no time or energy available for anything beyond that. I'll leave it at that.

2) The good news, from the customer side of things, is that it looks like there'll be a couple of options to getting your Microvision working properly again. That's a lot better than none.

3) Regarding working together, that might have worked a couple of months ago, but NRE (Non-Recurring Engineering) costs have all been paid out, and there's no real way to recoup those costs without ordering and selling some product. It's not likely that either of us want to pay for the other person's costs incurred so far.

4) I leave it up to you which product you choose to buy. It's not really a money-making project, so I'll be happy enough to cover the upcoming production costs. I'm sure these 2 projects won't arrive on the same day at the same price, so do what works best for you.

That's all I really want to say about that. Moving forward, if you're still here... ;)

1) I just sent out enough of the guts of a Microvision, so the supplier can get the contrast worked out. It's supposed to arrive there on the 19th.

2) I've thought about doing down-payment pre-orders, to have a good handle on quantities. I still have some time to decide, but I'll probably just buy the minimum order quantity that the supplier has set. These will be sold first-come first-serve, when I open up for orders.

3) As it turns out, the NRE costs are about equal to the production costs for the minimum order. The NRE costs have been paid a long time ago, so what I'm basically going to do is work out a price where if I sell half my stock, I'll be able to cover the production costs. If and when I sell the second half of the stock, I'll be able to make up for the NRE costs.

4) I'll know my final costs, and therefore the customer's price, when I've got the product in hand. That way I'll know if there's any customs/taxes/fees that I'll need to pay. If I set a price now, I'd have to sandbag it to help make sure all costs are covered and then some. The way it looks now is that the price will be at least as good as what's listed on the first page, although for the first wave of orders at least, I'll be removing the graduated pricing, so if you order 1 or 2 or whatever, you'll still get the best price. Shipping is extra, so that's where you'll be able to save money, if you want to order more than one at a time.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 5-11under said:

2) I've thought about doing down-payment pre-orders, to have a good handle on quantities. I still have some time to decide, but I'll probably just buy the minimum order quantity that the supplier has set. These will be sold first-come first-serve, when I open up for orders.

Towards the beginning of the thread (and throughout the thread) many have been posting how many they would be in for, would this would be a good measure of quantities?   Why not get a list together of those that will definitely buy one, two, three, etc...?  I for one want three :)

28 minutes ago, thevnaguy said:

Towards the beginning of the thread (and throughout the thread) many have been posting how many they would be in for, would this would be a good measure of quantities?   Why not get a list together of those that will definitely buy one, two, three, etc...?  I for one want three :)

I wonder if the forums polling feature would be a reasonably manageable way to gather such "interest check/quantity" information.

It would be less painful than reading every post and tabulating. Probably kinda too late for this topic.

2 hours ago, thevnaguy said:

Probably/mostly less drama in the changing landscape. I don't want people to commit to buying, and then later wishing they hadn't.

(I know people have committed a year or more ago, but that's past the "statute of limitations" as far as I'm concerned).

I'm also guessing that the minimum order will suffice for a decent period of time. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but if there's sufficient demand, more can always be purchased later.

Looking at my previous post, and also post #1, people can pretty much figure out anticipated price and approximate leadtime, if all goes well, and then decide how to proceed.

3 hours ago, 5-11under said:

I just sent out enough of the guts of a Microvision, so the supplier can get the contrast worked out. It's supposed to arrive there on the 19th.

I just got notification that the "Delivery Standard" is 07-Dec, although when I made the shipment it said "Guaranteed" 19-Nov. We'll see what happens... .

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, thegoldenband said:

Thanks for all your work on this project. As of now, is this still expected to be a solder-free/drop-in replacement?

Yes, that's the intention. It should be do-able. The supplier will be working that out when the test Microvision arrives there.

• Like 3

On 11/10/2020 at 11:11 AM, 5-11under said:

Probably/mostly less drama in the changing landscape. I don't want people to commit to buying, and then later wishing they hadn't.

(I know people have committed a year or more ago, but that's past the "statute of limitations" as far as I'm concerned).

I'm also guessing that the minimum order will suffice for a decent period of time. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but if there's sufficient demand, more can always be purchased later.

Looking at my previous post, and also post #1, people can pretty much figure out anticipated price and approximate leadtime, if all goes well, and then decide how to proceed.

So I just want to clarify if that "statute of limitations" thing cuts both ways... if we've raised our hands early on in this thread, it doesn't earn us a spot in line when the orders are able to be fulfilled; it will just be first come, first serve, once you make the announcement the product is in your hands. Is that right?

5 minutes ago, RevEng said:

So I just want to clarify if that "statute of limitations" thing cuts both ways... if we've raised our hands early on in this thread, it doesn't earn us a spot in line when the orders are able to be fulfilled; it will just be first come, first serve, once you make the announcement the product is in your hands. Is that right?

At the moment, that's the case. I've got a couple of ideas to improve that... let me think about the best way... .

12 minutes ago, 5-11under said:

At the moment, that's the case. I've got a couple of ideas to improve that... let me think about the best way... .

Best bet would be be to get a list of the names together and send a mass PM with the intent of keeping the order of interest as close to the original as possible. Especially for those that have stuck with you after that other person decided to ride your coat tails with intent of robbing your project.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, Shawn said:

Best bet would be be to get a list of the names together and send a mass PM with the intent of keeping the order of interest as close to the original as possible. Especially for those that have stuck with you after that other person decided to ride your coat tails with intent of robbing your project.

Seriously? The guy came in wanting a screen and found the project dead in the water with no updates for six months. He tried to contact 5-11under with no response. He saw a lot of interest in the project and decided to spend his money trying to revive what was thought to be a dead project. He got more done in shorter time and offered more options. He has gotten his prototypes back, all working correctly I might add. When he was asked to move out by 511under, he did so graciously. How about instead of bad mouthing him, thank him for trying to keep it it alive? BTW. Thank you for your work 511under. It has not gone without notice or fanfare. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Shawn said:

Your attitude is awful. Your bizarre idol worship cost 5-11under at least 3 sales already. Good job...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mikebola said:

Your attitude is awful. Your bizarre idol worship cost 5-11under at least 3 sales already. Good job...

What idol worship? You are seriously confused. If you bought 3 from that other dude that was your choice and it has nothing to do with me. You can keep that non-sense to yourself. Nobody in their right mind would ever believe what you have said in regards to that matter.  

"Good job" indeed.

10 hours ago, SavageMind said:

Seriously? The guy came in wanting a screen and found the project dead in the water with no updates for six months. He tried to contact 5-11under with no response. He saw a lot of interest in the project and decided to spend his money trying to revive what was thought to be a dead project. He got more done in shorter time and offered more options. He has gotten his prototypes back, all working correctly I might add. When he was asked to move out by 511under, he did so graciously. How about instead of bad mouthing him, thank him for trying to keep it it alive? BTW. Thank you for your work 511under. It has not gone without notice or fanfare. 

Um no. He milked Harvey's thread for all he could until he was asked to leave after he proclaimed he wanted to stay around. Then posted a link from this thread to his own and to his ebay sales. That isn't leaving in a respectful manor as you claim. If that isn't a total pile of BS I don't know what is. If he started on his own thread for his own project from the get go there would be no issue to be had. That is not what happened, not even close. 

You all do whatever it is you wanna do. Rose colored glasses and Clydesdale blinders the whole way though. But I have a problematic attitude? Ya right.

25 minutes ago, Shawn said:

What idol worship? You are seriously confused. If you bought 3 from that other dude that was your choice and it has nothing to do with me. You can keep that non-sense to yourself. Nobody in their right mind would ever believe what you have said in regards to that matter.  

"Good job" indeed.

Um no. He milked Harvey's thread for all he could until he was asked to leave after he proclaimed he wanted to stay around. Then posted a link from this thread to his own and to his ebay sales. That isn't leaving in a respectful manor as you claim. If that isn't a total pile of BS I don't know what is. If he started on his own thread for his own project from the get go there would be no issue to be had. That is not what happened, not even close. 

You all do whatever it is you wanna do. Rose colored glasses and Clydesdale blinders the whole way though. But I have a problematic attitude? Ya right.

You know, I've been waiting for 15 years for someone to actually follow through with replacement screens for the MV, and people like you bring all of those projects down. It's happened six times now. Moral of the story: if you don't have anything constructive to say, just stop.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5-11under said:

Sorry, I don't have time to reply to all this.

Except... like I said, buy anywhere you want, but this really makes no sense to me...

I think you're missing how someone has been dragging another creator through the mud, and challenging loyalties of people interested in their product over yours.

I'm not knocking you for missing it. I know you're busy.

• Like 1